Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The campaign office for an African American woman running for Sheriff in a Texas county got shot up with the assailants yelling "loving niggers."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-candidate-zena-stephens-office-shot-apparent-racial-attack-n528611

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Can't wait to see how all of the anti-establishment Trump voters rationalize a Newt loving Gingrich endorsement.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I just want the GOP to do whatever they have to to steal the nomination from Trump so that he proceeds to run independent and throw the entire conservative movement into a death spiral.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

gohmak posted:

Ways Drumf is outflanking :shillary: on the left while winning the Republican nomination. Be very afraid.

-Japanese tractors being imported thanks to Yen depreciation
-Pfizer moving to Ireland in a reverse merger (with Allergan) for a tax benefit
-Apple making iphones in China and how he’s going to force them to build factories here
-How American politicians are incapable of using American power to get better trade terms/deals
-Health care insurance being broken and anti-consumer
-How planned parenthood does great work for millions of women
-How our infrastructure blows and he’s going to rebuild it creating millions of jobs because he’s a builder
-How he would cut a deal with Dem/GOP within minutes on repatriating corporate profits

That sure is a bullet point list of Trump stump speech talking points that he's been parroting for 3 straight months.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Neeksy posted:

So he's outmaneuvering her by being divorced from reality. Sadly it's not wise to bet against the gullibility of the US electorate given Reagan and the aftermath.

Thankfully white people don't have nearly the same demographic sway as they did in 1980.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I just looked up some voting demographics. Obviously everyone knows that Hispanics have gotten a lot larger, 10% of the voting block in 2012 compared to 2% in 1980. McCain and Romney both earned 32 and 27 percent of their vote respectively. There is no way that Trump doesn't come in at well below that.

Interestingly though, since 1984 women have outnumbered men by a minimum of 4%. There was a 6% gap in 2012. That obviously bodes well for Clinton. Especially against Donald Trump. Yes Bill has his own misogynist past but people, for better or worse, really like Bill. Trump is far more open and unapologetic about his misogyny and will not be able to resist making sexist attacks against Hillary.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/705515875487641601

Any ballpark estimates of the number of injured or dead at the convention if they actually have the stones to try this?

I want this so badly. What needs to happen to allow them to do this? Does it involve keeping Trump below the delegate count or can they still do this even then?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm fine with Cruz as the nominee. He's slightly more electable than Trump, but only slightly. I agree that Rubio's campaign is fatally wounded barring a massive showing on the 15th.

Cruz would probably be considered by the general electorate as a more palatable candidate in November. Especially among Latinos. So I don't want that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Boon posted:

If Trump collapses, it'll have been by Megyn Kelly's hand - which is frankly poetic.

Yes.
VVV

Did she do anything, I'm not watching the debate.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Donald Trump has a small penis. I have no loving doubt.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kasich is the only candidate who could probably beat Hillary straight up but the problem for the GOP is that because its so late in the primary process the only way he could get the nomination is through a brokered convention, which would tear the party apart and likely cause Trump to go independent meaning that the Democrats probably win 45 states. So basically the situation is amazing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I didn't even talk until I was 3 what the gently caress.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

... In interviews, even lifelong Republicans who cast a ballot for Mr. Romney four years ago rebelled against his message and plan. “I personally am disgusted by it — I think it’s disgraceful,” said Lola Butler, 71, a retiree from Mandeville, La., who cast a ballot for Mr. Romney in 2012. “You’re telling me who to vote for and who not to vote for? Please."

:ironicat:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The VAST majority of people who are "switching" to vote for Trump always end up voting Republican anyway. Or they end up not voting at all.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I just cannot imagine a situation where the GOP does not come out of their convention completely and utterly hosed. Whether it means Trump remains the nominee or not. And then Hillary will feast off what's left.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Wonder how much of her camp is laughing their asses off between screaming DON'T gently caress UP.

Thankfully this entire experience is providing such a great primer for Hillary and the DNC on how to effectively combat Trump.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I know the standard to prove slander for a politician is loving massive but this has gotta come close right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So playing around with 270 to win I tried to narrow the states down to those who are most likely going to go Dem and those most likely to go GOP. Does this seem reasonable?

http://www.270towin.com/maps/azZ8L

In that scenario the Dems just need to win one of Ohio/Virginia/Florida/North Carolina to win. Which seems like an absolute gimmie.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

VanSandman posted:

The dems are going to win Virginia, because the Governor desperately wants that cabinet position.

How much influence does a governor really have to help?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

For no reason I just remembered Trump mocking that disabled NYT reporter during that rally of his some months back. gently caress that man. How can ANYONE defend that?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Personally I'm looking forward to the 2024 race.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/aD4G8

:getin:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I've done it, I've found the most pants on head retarded election analysis of all time.

Trump Near-Certain to Defeat Democrat in November According To Primary Model

quote:

With Donald Trump as the nominee, Republicans are highly certain to win the presidential election on November 8, 2016. Trump will defeat Hillary Clinton with 87 percent certainty, and Bernie Sanders with 99 percent.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If Primaries were short the candidate with the most name recognition would win 100% of the time instead of most of the time. Also it would be absolutely impossible to have a dozen people on the ballot. Having it be a long process weeds out most and allows others to make a name for themselves.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

McCloud posted:

How big is it that Michigan is going for Sanders? The reddit echo chamber is going full tilt trying to spin this as Bernie actually having a chance, but does it change anything? How were the delegates proportioned?

It's a good symbolic win but it only matters IF he can translate this unexpected victory into winning both Ohio and Illinois next week. He will get crushed in North Carolina and Florida and thus most likely be beaten in delegates again BUT a string of wins in Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois would look really drat impressive and the primary schedule really opens up for him afterwards now that the southern states are all done. He'd still be an underdog but it would be a real race. Conversely if he gets swept next week its all over and he'll be under immense pressure to drop out. He won't and shouldn't because he has value in staying in the race until at least May but he won't be campaigning to win.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 9, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Clinton's leading by some 8 points in Ohio and a something like +30-40 points in Illinois. Don't think that's going to happen, despite Michigan's upset.

Not sure how recent those Illinois polls are but nevertheless you are right, it probably won't. I'm just saying that it's what needs to happen for him to be viable going forward. He desperately needs the optics and the media narrative that winning Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois would bring him.

It's a real shame that the Dem and GOP primary system isn't reversed. If there were WTA states for the Dems then Bernie would have a viable path to the nomination with all of those huge late states. And for the GOP the lack of any WTA would absolutely ensure a contested convention since no one is coming close to getting a majority. Sigh, oh well.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Of course the guy is wearing a cowboy hat.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I am in no way defending the puncher, but why would you agitate the crowd by flipping them off and yelling obscenities in return?

Because the odds that he had the word "friend of the family" screamed at him by multiple people is 100%.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

That last question at the Fox debate was the GOP's death rattle

Would everyone doubling down on not supporting Trump as the candidate really made a difference?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

According to polling people that viewed him unfavorably a few short months ago voted for him. That should be concerning.

Gonna need a source on this one because everything I've gathered looks like the opposite.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

foobardog posted:

Unfortunately, not only Democrats vote in the general. When it comes to the general population, Clinton has lower favorability numbers than Sanders. The whole plan here is kind of doing what Johnson did in 1964 with Trump playing the part of Goldwater. I think that's why Clinton has been doubling down to some degree on third way views and hammering Sanders on the practicality of his plans. She can't go too far left or she turns off Republicans who are scared about Trump. I think my whole thing about this being a base election is wrong, and we might see the reassertion of the American "moderate".

Additionally, favorability does not match with excitement. I favor Sanders, and favored Obama, but I was excited about Obama. Trump is highly unfavorable, but people are excited to vote for/against him. I'm not sure if there's anything measuring excitement, and I'm not sure it matters considering that right now only nerds like us are paying attention.

A lot of people are excited about Hillary. Not me, but there are tons of people who will be forever enamored by the Clintons.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Wait, do republicans hate Bernie more than Hillary? I could see a strong argument for it going either way.

No. They think Sanders is a communist cuckoo but Republicans hate Hillary more than any person on earth.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Zelder posted:

it definitely seems like more people are paying attention to this primary process than years past.

Without a doubt. It's been a wall to wall media circus.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

foobardog posted:

That's something I suspect too. This process has become visible and contentious in a way it's not usually been since there's usually an incumbent or pre-selected heir running pretty much unopposed. Like 2008 was supposed to be this weird once-in-a-lifetime election where no incumbents or obvious heirs were running, but here we have a second one in just 8 years. In that case, the lower Democratic number of voters could imply lack of excitement of moderates, or that they are more concerned with stopping Trump than supporting Hillary or whatever.

The lower turnout of Dems is based on two things, it's not anywhere close to as an emotionally charged and contentious primary as 2008 was. And most Dems will be content to vote for whoever comes out of it. The Republican primary is obviously the exact opposite of these two things.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Also the sacred "swing vote moderate/independent" doesn't actually exist in any statistically significant way.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

And lol at the idea that Trump can pivot to the center/left on such nuanced issues like "I want to deport 11 million people including children, murder POWs, kill the families of enemy combatants, and ban all Muslims, and violently deal with protesters." Especially considering those extreme views are what his rabid base find so appealing. He can't distance himself from them because literally no one will buy that he's suddenly had a change of heart from being literal Hitler. Politicians are able to pivot because they are crafty to be vague enough on their platform so that any switch can't instantly be called out. Trump is a bombastic monster who says anything that comes into his head and has not thought any of it through.

People keep saying that Trump is playing a totally different game, one which we've never seen and that we can't predict. Then in the same breath they'll say that he will manage to pivot during the general because "that's what always happens." That's basically impossible at this point.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 10, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

foobardog posted:

Right, and downplay the racial aspects, and upplay the "gently caress the elites" aspects, which he is already a bit arguably to the left on compared to Hillary.

He's gone way too far to successfully downplay the racial aspects. His extremist base is only going to get more violent (we just saw it today!) as time goes on. Once the KKK is openly holding rallies for you it's kind of too late to backtrack.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 10, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oracle posted:

Wow. This just got not funny.

Think that's bad? Take a look at the entire quote.

quote:

Inside Edition tracked down McGraw after the rally and asked him if he liked the rally. “You bet I liked it. Knocking the hell out of that big mouth," McGraw said.

Asked why he punched the protester, McGraw told Inside Edition, "Number one, we don’t know if he’s ISIS."

"We don’t know who he is, but we know he’s not acting like an American," McGraw went on. "The next time we see him, we might have to kill him."

These people are only going to get more emboldened and violent as time goes on.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Zelder posted:

lmao welcome to what every single minority person has been saying for like the past three months

It legit made me irritated every time I saw some "ironic" Trump meme all over the internet. Especially here where people thought Trumps whole bully routine was all so funny. Thankfully they've died down now because people are actually treating him seriously.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/708044299431256064

It'd be hilarious if that's why his approval rating is so high.

I bet it factors in. Especially among dissatisfied Democrats who are now looking a lot more closely across the aisle and seeing how better we have it in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

Reminder that Trumps business acumen matters because roughly half the American electorate thinks the government would be better if it were somehow "run like a business".

That combined with Trumps relative failure to run businesses should alarm anyone with a connection to reality, ignoring the fact that running government like a business is the most Trumped Up idea of the post Reagan era.

Dems just need to air ads about how Flint was manged like a business.

• Locked thread