Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

NC-17 posted:

Yeah America is dying to see a butt vs Mark Sanchez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

NC-17 posted:

Yeah America is dying to see Brock vs Mark Sanchez.

Well it's going to be a Broncos home game regardless and Brock has the narrative of being their former QB who spurned them :shrug:

It's going to be Broncos at home vs one of their division rivals, the Texans, the Colts, the Falcons, the Patriots, or a Superbowl rematch against the Panthers. Texans and Panthers seem to be the best storylines

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Some condensed recent postseason games, conference games unavailable.

Super Bowl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBIR7WVXW6I

Panthers/Seahawks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLRqITJMVgM

Packers/Cardinals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-SJkiemJKA

Vikings/Seahawks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR7Euki-xTk

Packers/Redskins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85P8umw03MI

Patriots/Chiefs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVcwg80p0sY

Steelers/Bengals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sg5LEzFRUQ

Chiefs/Texans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpaU5ZzAQYY

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

It's going to be Broncos at home vs one of their division rivals, the Texans, the Colts, the Falcons, the Patriots, or a Superbowl rematch against the Panthers. Texans and Panthers seem to be the best storylines
The Falcons?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I think he's just listing the Broncos non-AFCW games bc the opener probably won't be a divisional game

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I hope the opener is Broncos/Raiders, to see Khalil Mack kill and eat Mark Sanchez on live TV.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

DeAndre Levy explains himself.

quote:

Being sidelined last year gave me a little different perspective, as opposed to when I'm playing. I get locked in and tune everything else out in the midst of the season. The last thing I want to think about while preparing or playing in a game is potential brain damage. This last year, I had a lot of hours in the training room and realized how normal injury is to us, as football players. I think about how we're almost numb to it because it's a part of the job. I became numb to the fact that CTE could be present in me. Like maybe my head buzzing a day after a game isn't normal. Maybe the emotional highs and lows of a football game/season and beyond aren't normal. Maybe when I forget something, there's more to it than just forgetfulness. Disconnected thoughts, at times, might be a part of it. I know of and have heard many players talk about these same issues and if they relate to CTE.

I think we, as players, have to acknowledge it and talk about it in a real way and demand answers. And talk about it now. I've heard people say they wouldn't let their kids play football; that says a lot about what current players think and feel about the safety of football. Compensation isn't an excuse to hide or downplay the facts. We need to know the risks and the rewards. This is an area in which the league has failed its players. Not only never talking about the risks, but some people going a step further to deny and cover it up. It's imperative to help make players, current and future, more aware of all of the challenges they may face as a result of the choice to play football. We need to have the opportunity to really understand what each other may be going through. It's scary to think I may have CTE.

I'm going to pull a Jim Caldwell and drop a quote that resonates with me: 'Silence is an action.' That's why I feel the need to say something. If I say nothing, I'm condoning the misinformation that's spreading. While the research of medical experts and doctors tells us there potentially is a direct link between football and CTE, voices continue to emerge telling us otherwise. And you have to question why. What IS the harm in being transparent about the depth of risks that accompany this sport?

The only voices we have on the subject are the league, which, unfortunately, has shown it can't be trusted. So far, we've had a rheumatologist with questionable credentials telling us that there is no link between concussions and CTE, aided in covering it up, yet is still employed by the NFL. I felt my initial questions about Elliot Pellman were fair, and every employee, fan and potential NFL player has the right to know the answer. They're still covering it up (not reporting 100 concussions, and, as of today, asking the New York Times to retract the story), and I have to question what else we will find out, years from now, that they are concealing. You can't move forward past this issue if the main culprit is still on payroll. I'm sure, if they fire him, he'll have a lot more to share about everything that went on. We just recently learned about them omitting 100 concussions as an attempt to downplay the dangers once again. I'm not asking for this game to be any less dangerous nor risky, I'm asking for there to be transparency about those risks and allow people to make their own, informed decisions. As I've stated before, I'm choosing to continue to play in spite of CTE or any other post-football health issue that may arise. But that choice doesn't justify continued denial and deflection of this issue when we now know better and have the opportunity to do better.

It's unacceptable to prioritize the marketability and profitability of football over the real health risks associated with it. There have been scores of retired players coming forward with health issues, whether they're related to CTE or not. We've found CTE in the brains of too many players upon their death. How can anyone, especially a team owner that has employed hundreds of players over the years, deny a link? It's true, we don't know a lot about this, but are they doing much to find answers? Are we going to continue to ignore even the slightest possibility that this is real? If players, your greatest asset, mattered, why would you not want to learn more?

Players make billions for the league; wouldn't learning more preserve the longevity of the game? It seems they're operating in a fear that if the real consequences are known, the sport will be in danger. The major danger is failing to be transparent. Are players' lives not in danger by covering up vital information? People love this game, and it's important to U.S. culture. Why wouldn't they invest in the well-being of the players to keep the game alive? They have endless resources to really be at the forefront of this, but instead, they just continue to question the validity of medical professionals and experts in the field. I'm no expert and neither are the owners. We have experts informing us, yet they continue to be ignored. How can you continue to support Pellman and not actual doctors? Pellman is smarter than real doctors? We have doctors and researchers who dedicate their lives to learning about the brain saying that football and CTE are connected. But they ignore that and claim they're not so sure. We're not sure; let's further the research so we can be sure.

I question whether the timing of Irsay's and Jerry Jones' comments indicate that this was discussed at the NFL owners meeting this month. Were they speaking for the whole or just themselves? My main problem with Irsay's comments is that this isn't an opinion-based issue ... it's medical experts stating facts.

Training and rehab is going great. I have been doing everything in the weight room since a few weeks after the season ended. Last thing I have to do still is actually play football.

His explanation for why he isn't retiring is pretty :smith:.

quote:

I guess the same reason I'd climb on top of an airplane and ride it. I know the risks of camping in the Amazon almost 5 hours away from any town, city or hospital. Maybe I like the chance of beating the odds. Maybe I'm still in denial, thinking that the worst can't happen to me.

A better answer, though, is that these are relatively new revelations for me. I feel like I put all this time and effort in, and I'd be stopping short and not walking away with what I earned. Not necessarily for me, but for my family. I'm in Year 8, so, to an extent, I'm closer to finishing what I started officially 23 years ago. I've put in a lot of hours, going back to the beginning of high school, when I really decided to go for this. Dreaming of it since little league -- long before I knew anything about concussions or the long-lasting effects of the collisions. Like, my damage potentially already is done. If so, I might as well secure comfort for my family so I leave with more than just a beat-up body. If I were at the beginning of my career, it's more likely that I'd be in Bhutan or somewhere already. I really do love the competition and the challenges that football provides. At this point, it's about making sure that anyone playing across all levels know the risks so that their decision isn't based on one-sided misinformation being provided by the league.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Pron on VHS posted:

I think he's just listing the Broncos non-AFCW games bc the opener probably won't be a divisional game
OK that makes sense.

My money is on either the Patriots or Panthers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

sam bradford lmao posted:

OK that makes sense.

My money is on either the Patriots or Panthers

I don't know, with Manning gone the storyline with the Patriots isn't nearly as compelling

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I bet it's Raiders @ Rams. The drama of the team that got LA vs the team that deserved it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's a home game for the Superbowl winner. Unless you have a baseball team that is intransigent anwyay

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

I don't know, with Manning gone the storyline with the Patriots isn't nearly as compelling
Sanchez might butt fumble for a second time :haw:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

how come for one thing to live something else has to die

As a Floridian you should know the truth.

Stone.

Crab.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

whypick1 posted:

NC-17 posted:

Yeah America is dying to see a butt vs Mark Sanchez.

:lol:

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 30, 2016

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Ehud posted:

I think I'm going to tell all of my coworkers that I don't watch football anymore because they're constantly espousing stupid opinions to me about the NFL.

"Philip Rivers is a dick. The way he got Drew Brees cut was awful."

where do they even get this stuff :confused:

Mods, please change my name to Ehud's Coworker with an avatar of a red Swingline stapler. tia.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Pron on VHS posted:

A bear would dominate a lion, and lions are among my favorite animals. A tiger would maul a lion too.

This happened in Animorphs and the lion won and I was really mad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ross Angeles posted:

Animorphs was hosed bro

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ross Angeles posted:

Lions are king of the jungle though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Intruder posted:

Lions are king of the jungle though

Lions don't live in the Jungle though!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Now see here you son of a bitch

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The NY Times has responded to the NFL's sad response to their article by taking a big ol' steaming dump on the NFL and their lawfirm:

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/sites/default/files/NYT-RESPONSE-TO-NFL.pdf?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lions don't live in the Jungle though!

Kings don't live near the plebes.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

The NY Times has responded to the NFL's sad response to their article by taking a big ol' steaming dump on the NFL and their lawfirm:

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/sites/default/files/NYT-RESPONSE-TO-NFL.pdf?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur

The NFL has just grown into this huge arrogant organization that cannot tell the difference between facts and opinions.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Surprised no one replied to the Deandre Levy statement. I felt it was really well written and thought out despite being a little depressing with how he feels about his career now. I hope we see more players expressing similar sentiments.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

NC-17 posted:

The NFL has just grown into this huge arrogant organization that cannot tell the difference between facts and opinions.

The GOP?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Kalli posted:

I like how formal legal responses really aren't that different from an extended forum fight.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

literally yes

Nov 6, 2002

kill the rich

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fewer things in my life have been as satisfying as watching Christie go from a popular Governor to being exposed as a fat bottom feeding poo poo

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

:tinfoil:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

I like how formal legal responses really aren't that different from an extended forum fight.

It makes a lot of sense when you consider just how much of SA is un(der)employer lawyers mad about things.

MrSargent posted:

Surprised no one replied to the Deandre Levy statement. I felt it was really well written and thought out despite being a little depressing with how he feels about his career now. I hope we see more players expressing similar sentiments.

It's a touching read, but seems a fairly common sentiment among players. You watch football games, knowing that odds are some dude there is gonna stick a gun in their mouth within a decade because they need to stun gun themselves to sleep every night.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

it is amazing how quickly superhero movies went from a fun novelty that came out every now and then to the cinematic equivalent of a reddit post about putting bacon on things

Hollywood is increasingly desperate to make money, a friend of mine has been doomsaying the industry for a couple years now. Budgets are inflating, viewership is down, so anything that looks like it'll reliably make money gets squeezed for every last drop of blood. There's a lot of money churn but many movies end up losing money.

Chichevache posted:

That's undersized in the modern nfl. Colt McCoy looks like Frankie Muniz when placed next to James Harrison.

If that's undersized then most quarterbacks are undersized. Rodgers is 6'2, 225. Brady is 6'4, 225. Cutler is 6'3, 220. Brees is 6'0, 210. Fitzpatrick, 6'2, 225. At 6'1, 220, McCoy actually has a comparatively sturdier frame than the taller quarterbacks who weigh the same (assuming he's not just fatter).

The monsters like Cam Newton are still the exception among quarterbacks. James Harrison is a freak.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm going to go ahead and suggest that Colt McCoy does not in fact, nor did he, weight 220.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Kalli posted:

It makes a lot of sense when you consider just how much of SA is un(der)employer lawyers mad about things.

It's a touching read, but seems a fairly common sentiment among players. You watch football games, knowing that odds are some dude there is gonna stick a gun in their mouth within a decade because they need to stun gun themselves to sleep every night.

Yah, I just meant that we don't see a lot of players putting those sentiments into words quite so well as Levy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kalli posted:

That last sentence is so loving amazing. Its the legal equivalent of a nut punch.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

What did Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis do to deserve this?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NC-17 posted:

Some condensed recent postseason games, conference games unavailable.

Panthers/Seahawks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLRqITJMVgM

If you watch this backwards it is the 2012 Broncos @ Chargers game.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1104060262968456&id=214003275307497

I love my goober QB.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

NC-17 posted:

if you have enough money, your opinion is fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I wish my QB did dumb poo poo like this, instead of just... being a doofus in ads.

• Locked thread