Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win tonight's debate?
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
John Kasich
Baby Hitler
Megyn Kelly
View Results

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

mannerup posted:

this has been said at the past few previous debates that "if this debate doesn't hurt trump he is invincible"

I want to know what he does tomorrow to steal the news cycle. Had Christie for the previous debate and like clockwork it became the new media circus.

I truly don't know how deep the vortex goes. This is like the event horizon of politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Dana Loesch is pushing Rubio and Cruz as a "great team" who work well together. The shared ticket dream is alive and well.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

can someone explain why a bunch of posters said that everyone reaffirming the pledge "blew a hole" in the GOP or whatever they were saying

handing over the keys to trump in an orderly manner like that seems like way better of a result for the GOP than the #nevertrump people going off and doing their own thing

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Rexicon1 posted:

Seriously, if tonight doesn't hurt Trump he can just show up to every debate with a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses with two models in his arms from now on. Even in the general election.

This was not Trump's worst debate.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

can someone explain why a bunch of posters said that everyone reaffirming the pledge "blew a hole" in the GOP or whatever they were saying

handing over the keys to trump in an orderly manner like that seems like way better of a result for the GOP than the #nevertrump people going off and doing their own thing

The GOP is currently fractured - a lot of Neocons will never support Trump for obvious reasons, so they started the #nevertrump movement and Rubio is their candidate. For over a week Rubio has been going out saying he will never hand the GOP to a conman(Trump) and will fight him tooth and nail.

Tonight Rubio said he would support Trump if he was the nominee.

Montasque has issued a correction as of 06:52 on Mar 4, 2016

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Of course it is, but some people thought that the GOP candidates would be stupid enough to go through with it. The fact is that you don't spend over half a year continuously on the campaign trail fighting Trump in every state for the sole pleasure of breaking with your own party and voting for Bloomberg or whomever. These candidates want to get something out of it, and they'll only get something if they back somebody with a chance of winning.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

trump is not going to be handed the keys in an orderly manner

keep in mind its not just people on twitter, there are sitting politicians who are completely against a trump nomination and are ready to fight it tooth and nail until a likely brokered convention

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

They really are stubby, though

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

mannerup posted:

keep in mind its not just people on twitter, there are sitting politicians who are completely against a trump nomination and would not support him

Smoke and mirrors to scare voters away from Trump. At worst they'll refuse to campaign with him.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wait wasn't "hands" a 2008 meme

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Aliquid posted:

you bet mr

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

It undermines their campaigns. You simply can't be out there saying "he can't be president, he's a con man and liar and stands for nothing" and then say "I'll support him for president if I lose." It exposes you as being full of poo poo and having no integrity. We all suspect that's the case but you can't just out and spell it out like that.

Sure, the more prudent party move is that you'll eventually coalesce around the nominee. But if that's the case you have to hold back on what you're attacking him with so you're not such a hypocrite full of poo poo when you do it. And if you do go all scorched earth then you can't just say "eh, I'll endorse him anyway" without it triggering a lot of people's bs detectors.

I mean, it's all a lot of hand wringing because we know it's probably futile fighting Trump at this stage. But if you're going to do it, then do it right.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
I think Romney might actually have sunk the NeverTrump effort by showing such gleeful support for it. It was clear that he was positioning himself as a candidate in a brokered convention, and nobody but Mitt Romney wants that to happen.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Aliquid posted:

those tiny little bay shrimp hanging off of trump's pinkish hooves have brought it back

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Whatever the gently caress they have planned with Romney hasn't been sprung yet. Let's wait for that to fail before we declare this whole thing as farce

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Epic High Five posted:

Whatever the gently caress they have planned with Romney hasn't been sprung yet. Let's wait for that to fail before we declare this whole thing as farce

Well, the rumors say that Romney planned all of this on his own accord, without coordinating with any other campaign. I think he's still hungry for it.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

FoxNews and Talk Radio took a massive poo poo on Mitt Romney all day. It's not going to happen.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Montasque posted:

FoxNews and Talk Radio took a massive poo poo on Mitt Romney all day. It's not going to happen.

Oh I'm sure they think they have something super clever involving him, but it'll be something that involves statements with a ton of $20 words that will just anger up the hillybilly blood of their base and they'll be all like, "huh, whaaaaaa"

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Logically, Mitt would be the best candidate in a brokered convention, since he's already won a lot of primaries - far more than Rubes or Cruz ever will - and he's running against a very different opponent this time. But again, I think only Mitt wants this to happen. It looks like the party is willing to unify behind Trump.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Winter Stormer posted:

They really are stubby, though

I think Kasich has the best hands, based on this. A true man has to have hands large enough that they lament the demise of the yuge and luxurious original Xbox controller.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

It undermines their campaigns. You simply can't be out there saying "he can't be president, he's a con man and liar and stands for nothing" and then say "I'll support him for president if I lose." It exposes you as being full of poo poo and having no integrity. We all suspect that's the case but you can't just out and spell it out like that.

Sure, the more prudent party move is that you'll eventually coalesce around the nominee. But if that's the case you have to hold back on what you're attacking him with so you're not such a hypocrite full of poo poo when you do it. And if you do go all scorched earth then you can't just say "eh, I'll endorse him anyway" without it triggering a lot of people's bs detectors.

I mean, it's all a lot of hand wringing because we know it's probably futile fighting Trump at this stage. But if you're going to do it, then do it right.

yeah i know it undermines their campaigns, that's why i asked the question

everyone is acting like this is now some kind of MAXIMIZING CHAOS scenario despite the fact that all of trump's competitors undermining their own campaigns is the exact opposite of that

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Finally watching the debate. Fox really had poo poo crowd control in there.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
You guys?

What is life? Where am I?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

yeah i know it undermines their campaigns, that's why i asked the question

everyone is acting like this is now some kind of MAXIMIZING CHAOS scenario despite the fact that all of trump's competitors undermining their own campaigns is the exact opposite of that

Trump winning is kinda maximizing chaos...

Although a brokered convention would be insane.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

mannerup posted:

trump is not going to be handed the keys in an orderly manner

keep in mind its not just people on twitter, there are sitting politicians who are completely against a trump nomination and are ready to fight it tooth and nail until a likely brokered convention

you don't think that #nevertrump ending with a big wet fart isn't just going to lead trump to getting a majority of delegates, at which point there would be no contested convention and everything keeps plodding along intact for the GOP?

until about two hours ago everyone thought cruz and rubio were gonna fight tooth and nail but then they more or less abdicated on national tv

i don't see how everyone completely blowing away their own arguments for why trump can't win makes it MORE likely that there is a brokered convention all of a sudden

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Montasque posted:

Trump winning is kinda maximizing chaos...

Although a brokered convention would be insane.

i would argue that given the state of the race as of about noon today, by FAR the least chaotic way for it to resolve is trump winning and the rest of the GOP holding their noses and falling in line

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

i would argue that given the state of the race as of about noon today, by FAR the least chaotic way for it to resolve is trump winning and the rest of the GOP holding their noses and falling in line

I'm looking at the general. Trump vs Hillary will be bonkers.

That's if it happens... Can it happen? Is this real?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Who could have thought this dumb loving piece of paper would come back to haunt them all so terribly? Greek plays don't have this blunt of foreshadowing.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Yes. There's a reason why Trump got big applause for saying "I'm flexible on many issues" in front of a GOP audience tonight; this race is about to get wrapped up.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Mitt Romney choked like a dog.

-Trump on Hannity.

I will never get sick of that catch phrase.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Maduo posted:

who could have thought this dumb loving piece of paper would come back to haunt them all so terribly? Greek plays don't have this blunt of foreshadowing.

No foreshadowing there, they literally said they'd treat him with kids gloves and never attack or even research into attacking him if only he promised to not go third party

It was the dumbest goddamned thing.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Hot take: Hannity is such an incredible piece of poo poo

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

They are 100% hosed no matter what they do.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Montasque posted:

I'm looking at the general. Trump vs Hillary will be bonkers.

That's if it happens... Can it happen? Is this real?

not nearly as bonkers as if a sizable portion of the republican party were cutting attack ads during it

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

They are 100% hosed no matter what they do.

why?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Because they're too dumb, driven by purity, and short sighted to not get hosed

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Maduo posted:

Who could have thought this dumb loving piece of paper would come back to haunt them all so terribly? Greek plays don't have this blunt of foreshadowing.

I don't think the antagonists in Greek plays are quite so loving thick as the GOP leadership, though, so that's easily explained.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

you don't think that #nevertrump ending with a big wet fart isn't just going to lead trump to getting a majority of delegates, at which point there would be no contested convention and everything keeps plodding along intact for the GOP?

until about two hours ago everyone thought cruz and rubio were gonna fight tooth and nail but then they more or less abdicated on national tv

i don't see how everyone completely blowing away their own arguments for why trump can't win makes it MORE likely that there is a brokered convention all of a sudden

The truly chaotic thing about the situation was Fox choosing to end on that question when the whole rest of the debate up to that point seemed like a hit had been put on Trump. They had to know bringing up the pledge could only help him, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hannity just said he was texting late last night with Rubio about Trump.

That mental image just made me laugh.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Epic High Five posted:

Because they're too dumb, driven by purity, and short sighted to not get hosed

I don't think the GOP establishment really gives a poo poo about purity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I honestly have no idea how this primary will play out day by day, let alone by July. A brokered convention just seems slightly more likely than Trump getting the nomination with a clear and decisive margin. Right now those are the only two viable options going forward since nobody else but Trump has a path to a clear victory.

I am really just here to watch it unfold since I gave up long ago thinking I had any knowledge of how this would play out.

• Locked thread