Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win tonight's debate?
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
John Kasich
Baby Hitler
Megyn Kelly
View Results

• Locked thread
Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

The truly chaotic thing about the situation was Fox choosing to end on that question when the whole rest of the debate up to that point seemed like a hit had been put on Trump. They had to know bringing up the pledge could only help him, right?

not really, the "let megyn, marco, and ted have their catharsis one last time and let's settle this thing" theory makes perfect sense and like i said previously is absolute least chaotic way they can handle this whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
It's Trump, Cruz, or a fractured mess in november, no? All would be a blowout for HRC I imagine.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

paranoid randroid posted:

while it was kind of fun to watch Kelly scream "NOW WHOS BLEEDING FROM THEIR 'YOU KNOW WHERE', YOU PIECE OF poo poo," i really couldnt watch any more because of how transparent a hatchetjob it was and how too late it was

you idiots should have done this months ago if you wanted to stop him

He didn't give them the opportunity. :smug:

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Man.... who's gonna be the VP?

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Blasmeister posted:

The truly chaotic thing about the situation was Fox choosing to end on that question when the whole rest of the debate up to that point seemed like a hit had been put on Trump. They had to know bringing up the pledge could only help him, right?

Megyn Kelly's take afterwards was that she was very glad about the candidates reiterating their support; she hoped it would finally bring order into the chaos.

I think the current "strategy" for the GOP is to hit Trump hard and make one final attempt to push him out of first place, but if that doesn't work (it won't), they're going to accept him.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

It's Trump, Cruz, or a fractured mess in november, no? All would be a blowout for HRC I imagine.

HRC's best chance at a blowout was if a sizable fraction of the GOP flat out refused to support trump, tonight signaled that that's not gonna happen

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jacobin posted:

Man.... who's gonna be the VP?
That dog from the "chaos reigns" gif.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Epic High Five posted:

No foreshadowing there, they literally said they'd treat him with kids gloves and never attack or even research into attacking him if only he promised to not go third party

It was the dumbest goddamned thing.

I mean, to be fair, the GOP didn't write any stipulations about fair treatment or kid gloves, Trump just invented those provisos when he signed the pledge and it eventually became true through repetition.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
The college republicans are out in full force on Hannity, weird shaped heads and all

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blasmeister posted:

I mean, I think that question is kind of the natural closing one for this. If Trump is all these things they say then will you hold firm and reject him as the nominee? Whatever Fox News' intentions were that question sort of is the heart of the #NeverTrump thing. If you can't answer "no" now then you should just get out of the way and stop wasting everyone's time and giving the Democrats more ammo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Blasmeister posted:

I mean, to be fair, the GOP didn't write any stipulations about fair treatment or kid gloves, Trump just invented those provisos when he signed the pledge and it eventually became true through repetition.

Yeah but when someone like Trump says, "and you'll treat me fair, right?" you don't just handwave it because welp that now means whatever the hell he wants it to for the rest of the cycle.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Megyn Kelly's take afterwards was that she was very glad about the candidates reiterating their support; she hoped it would finally bring order into the chaos.

I think the current "strategy" for the GOP is to hit Trump hard and make one final attempt to push him out of first place, but if that doesn't work (it won't), they're going to accept him.

Most likely this. I think Fox dropping Rubio and The Koch's refusing to bank an anti-Trump effort really hamstrung the 'kill Trump' campaign.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

rear end cobra posted:

The college republicans are out in full force on Hannity, weird shaped heads and all

Yeah, I even saw a bowtie. WTF is with college republicans and bowties?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

:) sure thing bud.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Montasque posted:

Yeah, I even saw a bowtie. WTF is with college republicans and bowties?
Never trust someone who wears a bowtie

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Maduo posted:

Who could have thought this dumb loving piece of paper would come back to haunt them all so terribly? Greek plays don't have this blunt of foreshadowing.

You can practically hear Trump thinking, "Who could possibly give a poo poo what this worthless piece of paper says."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It's such a weird coincidence that Rubio reliably won Luntz focus groups no matter what, then after Ailes said he was "done with the whole Rubio thing" Marco got 0 votes in it.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Unless its a tuxedo event then they are acceptable imo

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Hannity is really tying Rubio/Romney together here.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's such a weird coincidence that Rubio reliably won Luntz focus groups no matter what, then after Ailes said he was "done with the whole Rubio thing" Marco got 0 votes in it.

It's such an obvious work.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Montasque posted:

It's such an obvious work.

At this point if Luntz had a focus group that seemed even lightly in touch with reality I'd be worried. Him being an enormous, transparent fraud is like part of the bedrock of my life

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Another factor: earnestly waging this war for another three months (and probably longer, to prepare the electorate for the possible outcomes of a brokered convention) would likely consume hundreds of millions of ad dollars that would be missing in the general. And the donors would be spending these dollars under the assumption that the eventual GOP candidate would very likely be seen as a betrayer and establishment stooge by a huge portion of the base. There's just no profit in that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Montasque posted:

Hannity is really tying Rubio/Romney together here.

Hannity is a boot licking piece of poo poo but he's not wrong on the Rubio/Romney Duke/KKK thing. Stop with the "disavow" poo poo. There's a deeper question that Trump should be asked about all the hate groups and leaders that are coming out for him and how he feels about them. He should be asked about the white nationalist tweets and Farakhan and the Neo Nazi shoving around a protester at his rallies. Try and get Trump to make a clear "they're disgusting" statement.

But stop trying to squeeze blood from the David Duke gaffe. Either dig deeper or let that poo poo go. But no one in the Republican Party has ever been capable of digging deeper with Trump. No one even digs below the surface on the Trump U thing. I've seen liberal media bring up more dirt on that in one segment a dozen times than I've heard from the #NeverTrump people all week.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

rear end cobra posted:

I like how the token conservative black girl was the only one who shook her head instead of raising her hand when Hannity asked if they would support the Republican nominee no matter what. Even black conservatives have SOME limits.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

STAC Goat posted:

Hannity is a boot licking piece of poo poo but he's not wrong on the Rubio/Romney Duke/KKK thing. Stop with the "disavow" poo poo. There's a deeper question that Trump should be asked about all the hate groups and leaders that are coming out for him and how he feels about them. He should be asked about the white nationalist tweets and Farakhan and the Neo Nazi shoving around a protester at his rallies. Try and get Trump to make a clear "they're disgusting" statement.

But stop trying to squeeze blood from the David Duke gaffe. Either dig deeper or let that poo poo go. But no one in the Republican Party has ever been capable of digging deeper with Trump. No one even digs below the surface on the Trump U thing. I've seen liberal media bring up more dirt on that in one segment a dozen times than I've heard from the #NeverTrump people all week.

They can't attack him on that, those groups are a major part of their coalition.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Neeksy posted:

They can't attack him on that, those groups are a major part of their coalition.

Oh, I know. But again, it goes back to "if you're going to do it, do it right." If they aren't willing to follow through on this line of attack then they need to let it go. Repeating the same Duke gaffe over and over just feeds Trump and Hannity's "I said I disavowed it a dozen times, you're just being unfair" narrative.

It's just incompetent gameplay. You can't do this poo poo half assed. You're going to pull on the strings of Trump's cons? Going to dig into the racist element of his base? Then you better be ready to come correct or don't bother at all.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't entirely believe this thread that Trump reassured the audience about his dick size during the debate but I just read independent confirmation and holy poo poo these people aren't suitable for a job as a waiter much less the most powerful office the world has ever seen.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't entirely believe this thread that Trump reassured the audience about his dick size during the debate but I just read independent confirmation and holy poo poo these people aren't suitable for a job as a waiter much less the most powerful office the world has ever seen.

Rubio directly attacked him on it, and a man has a right to defend himself.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

hes basically unstoppable int he primary at this point, but lets not pretend he didnt turn into a jabbering retard for a while tonight.

"turn into"

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, I know. But again, it goes back to "if you're going to do it, do it right." If they aren't willing to follow through on this line of attack then they need to let it go. Repeating the same Duke gaffe over and over just feeds Trump and Hannity's "I said I disavowed it a dozen times, you're just being unfair" narrative.

It's just incompetent gameplay. You can't do this poo poo half assed. You're going to pull on the strings of Trump's cons? Going to dig into the racist element of his base? Then you better be ready to come correct or don't bother at all.

While you're tactically correct in that if you're going to hit him on it, hit him hard and more fundamentally to the core of his white nationalism problem. However, the GOP lacks any standing to effectively do so; they either risk alienating a group of voters that they have been dogwhistling for decades or come across as hypocrites since their own views and policies are also targeted against the same groups of minorities, but with Atwateresque obfuscation.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Samurai Sanders posted:

Don't read reactions, observe for yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_2sGNyvA3k

Seriously, this season's gonna be on par with 2008.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

eviltastic posted:

Don't read reactions, observe for yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_2sGNyvA3k

Seriously, this season's gonna be on par with 2008.

s'gonna be yuuge

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
In conclusion:

https://twitter.com/DomenicoNPR/status/705604755737944065

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Talk more = better than is the most awesome analysis of debates.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That debate wasn't nearly as bad as y'all are making it seem. I mean it was a complete shitshow, but it wasn't the worst shitshow. Honestly, they seemed more petty and angry in the last one. I guess that might have been in contrast to the Carson breaks, but still.

But now I get to watch BillO interviewing under the influence, so I don't care anymore.

e: Oh god, he's plastered.

Fix has issued a correction as of 08:35 on Mar 4, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Talk more = better than is the most awesome analysis of debates.

It's actually indicative of two things, which is who's getting the most exposure and who's being attacked the most

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As Nixon had to be the one to open Chyna, so Fox had to be the one to try to kneecap the GOP frontrunner

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011
I don't think Trump has a big schlong and if he really does he should release the pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Trump had a bad night, he got a few funny soundbites in. I think Cruz and Rubio also did terrible but Cruz was significantly less terrible than Rubio. Rubio was just awful, a lesser Trump without the charm, a guy whose entire debate strategy was attacking Trump personally. At least Cruz's anti-Trump rhetoric was more level headed and based on his platform rather than his business dealings. Kasich was the real winner but it's too little too late for the poor guy. He seemed like the only sane guy on stage.

Trump will still have his concrete fanbase despite his performance tonight even though he was caught off guard with the totally unfair hit pieces that FOX had prepared against him. I think Trump still will get the nomination despite tonight's fuckfest.

• Locked thread