Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win tonight's debate?
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
John Kasich
Baby Hitler
Megyn Kelly
View Results

• Locked thread
Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

can someone explain why a bunch of posters said that everyone reaffirming the pledge "blew a hole" in the GOP or whatever they were saying

handing over the keys to trump in an orderly manner like that seems like way better of a result for the GOP than the #nevertrump people going off and doing their own thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

It undermines their campaigns. You simply can't be out there saying "he can't be president, he's a con man and liar and stands for nothing" and then say "I'll support him for president if I lose." It exposes you as being full of poo poo and having no integrity. We all suspect that's the case but you can't just out and spell it out like that.

Sure, the more prudent party move is that you'll eventually coalesce around the nominee. But if that's the case you have to hold back on what you're attacking him with so you're not such a hypocrite full of poo poo when you do it. And if you do go all scorched earth then you can't just say "eh, I'll endorse him anyway" without it triggering a lot of people's bs detectors.

I mean, it's all a lot of hand wringing because we know it's probably futile fighting Trump at this stage. But if you're going to do it, then do it right.

yeah i know it undermines their campaigns, that's why i asked the question

everyone is acting like this is now some kind of MAXIMIZING CHAOS scenario despite the fact that all of trump's competitors undermining their own campaigns is the exact opposite of that

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

mannerup posted:

trump is not going to be handed the keys in an orderly manner

keep in mind its not just people on twitter, there are sitting politicians who are completely against a trump nomination and are ready to fight it tooth and nail until a likely brokered convention

you don't think that #nevertrump ending with a big wet fart isn't just going to lead trump to getting a majority of delegates, at which point there would be no contested convention and everything keeps plodding along intact for the GOP?

until about two hours ago everyone thought cruz and rubio were gonna fight tooth and nail but then they more or less abdicated on national tv

i don't see how everyone completely blowing away their own arguments for why trump can't win makes it MORE likely that there is a brokered convention all of a sudden

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Montasque posted:

Trump winning is kinda maximizing chaos...

Although a brokered convention would be insane.

i would argue that given the state of the race as of about noon today, by FAR the least chaotic way for it to resolve is trump winning and the rest of the GOP holding their noses and falling in line

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Montasque posted:

I'm looking at the general. Trump vs Hillary will be bonkers.

That's if it happens... Can it happen? Is this real?

not nearly as bonkers as if a sizable portion of the republican party were cutting attack ads during it

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

They are 100% hosed no matter what they do.

why?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

The truly chaotic thing about the situation was Fox choosing to end on that question when the whole rest of the debate up to that point seemed like a hit had been put on Trump. They had to know bringing up the pledge could only help him, right?

not really, the "let megyn, marco, and ted have their catharsis one last time and let's settle this thing" theory makes perfect sense and like i said previously is absolute least chaotic way they can handle this whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

It's Trump, Cruz, or a fractured mess in november, no? All would be a blowout for HRC I imagine.

HRC's best chance at a blowout was if a sizable fraction of the GOP flat out refused to support trump, tonight signaled that that's not gonna happen

• Locked thread