Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

lol why do you have these at ready?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I feel like there's a marked difference in posting screenshots of popular animated films and trolling the furry community for material.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

simplefish posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc4NRwxc1Fw

Predates furries. Sexy bunnys are fine as long as you don't get weird and obsessive and build your life around rubbing one out to a cartoon petting zoo
This seems more okay to me because they made it obvious the boy bunny was jonesing for the girl bunny without just slapping big ol knockers and booty shorts on her. A bow and a voice is all you need to understand the premise.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

symbolic posted:

and his extreme affinity for MTG to the point where I told him the name of a card I got during a draft and he recited the tooltip from memory, he's pretty normal.
This is normal for anyone who plays mtg fyi

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

symbolic posted:

i have yet to descend into that level of madness, apparently

it will come with time

you basically aren't into the game unless you can play mental magic with friends

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

abigserve posted:

I've noticed from other people's anecdotes that there are three extremely common themes at every furry meet up:

Tons of alcohol
Lots of gaming discussion
Uninhibited gay sex

I've personally met I think maybe 4 furries and they were all reasonable people just really loving nerdy and lonely, and apparently when you combine those two things you get rampant homosexuality and dog costumes.

In my experience there is a thing with awkward nerdy people wherein when they are given an opportunity to cut loose they just go full ham because they do not have the social experience to understand that there are unwritten limits to cutting loose and are hesitant to shame other people breaking these rules because they are so familiar with people shaming them and are too empathetic to do so to others.

from what I've seen posted here gooncamp had pretty much the same issues furry cons have

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

I'm just super uncomfortable with the idea of being surrounded by men who don't understand/respect consent, like you said. Being admired can be nice, but the meat analogy is spot-on. It feels goddamn dangerous.
It's a common issue and I'm sure a big part of why many nerdy hobbies are so male centric. Nerds like to make fun of "game grrrlllz" online like there's a lot of women out there who want to be queen bee by nature of being the only girl around but the reality is that there are so few women in the first place because no one really wants that much awkward and inappropriate sexual attention.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

How is this not mental illness? How is this just a "quirky hobby" to some people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxdrY7veerc
those are adults, man and they take it 1000% seriously

"i am a magic dog/whatever cartoon, watch me get on my knees and squeak"
"We don't wanna gently caress animals furries are just anthromorphs"

*gets on all fours and barks*

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

see one of the biggest issues i have with furries is their inability to keep their poo poo to themselves

idk what it is -- maybe part of the fetishism of furries is being noticed by people for how hosed up they are, or maybe there's an intense, nagging doubt in their minds that they compensate for by demanding attention and acceptance from random strangers

either way tho furries have a pronounced habit of shouting their fetish from the rooftops and exposing as many random people as possible to cartoon animal penis, and that crosses a line beyond weird into pathological
I think it's mostly an overcompensation for feeling like their sexuality is suppressed, like when you go to gay pride parade and see dudes sucking on dick shaped lolipops or walking around in spiked leather. They feel on a day to day basis like they're shamed into hiding their identity so when they get the opportunity to express it they go overboard.

There's also a lot of the whole geek social fallacies going on in the furry fandom, people are pretty unwilling to police their own even when they know they're being inappropriate because they empathize with the weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

If by "shouting from the rooftops" you mean "posted on Twitter for their friends and then obsessively dug up and categorized by brokebrain weirdos" then yes, yes they do
this too, I've seen a furry precisely and only 1 time irl and it was in the queerest gayborhood in seattle while I was waiting for a bus.

• Locked thread