Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome earthlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2014, refer to archives]

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon

Current:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-yYJgpQ-CE

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

This is a difficult book; this is a gripping book.

quote:

On any list of unlikely bestsellers from the last century, The Name of the Rose must hold a special place of distinction. Nothing is rarer than for a novel translated from Italian to reach the top of the New York Times bestseller list—unless it is, of course, a megahit book writtenby an academic whose best-known previous work was A Theory of Semiotics. And did I mention that the plot revolves around medieval theology?

. . .

Yet despite these obstacles, small and large, this arcane novel sold a reported fifty million copies, which puts it in the league of Harry Potter, and ahead of Gone With the Wind, Roget’s Thesaurus and ToKill a Mockingbird.

http://www.postmodernmystery.com/name_of_the_rose.html

quote:

The year is 1327. Franciscans in a wealthy Italian abbey are suspected of heresy, and Brother William of Baskerville arrives to investigate. When his delicate mission is suddenly overshadowed by seven bizarre deaths, Brother William turns detective. His tools are the logic of Aristotle, the theology of Aquinas, the empirical insights of Roger Bacon—all sharpened to a glistening edge by wry humor and a ferocious curiosity. He collects evidence, deciphers secret symbols and coded manuscripts, and digs into the eerie labyrinth of the abbey, where “the most interesting things happen at night.”

quote:

There is a kind of novel that changes our mind, replaces our reality with its own. We live in a new world after we've read it. Umberto Eco, the celebrated Bolognese semiotican and Joyce scholar, brings us a new world in the tradition of Rabelais, Cervantes, Sterne, Melville, Dostoevsky, Joyce himself, and Garcia-Marquez.

We recognize the author's claim--or disclaimer--in the prologue to his "terrible story of Adso of Melk": that it's a hasty translation of a lost transmittal copy, that he's uncertain about its value and about the need to publish it. He refuses to allow his reader to easily suspend disbelief because his purpose is to explore the relationship between belief and narrative.

Filled with the good-natured polyglot banter of the superfluosly learned, "The Name of the Rose" might be seen only as a effete "Canterbury Tales" except for tell-tale markings on the walls of its medieval monastic library, markings declaring that this records of those walls' destruction is itself a labyrinth in the library's image. We learn the markings, deconstructing the book as we read. We see how the labyrinth operates on more than one level-in our imitative act of finding our way in and out. Eco makes his intellectual riddles accessible by weaving them into an intriguing detective story. A series of grisly murders turns Brother William of Baskerville, and his assistant Adso (our narrator), into prior-day Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-name-of-the-rose-umbert-eco-20160219-story.html

Historical Context:

The book takes place in the 1300's, as noted above, and is DEEPLY rooted in contemporary Italian and Catholic history, to the point where even a brief summary is beyond the scope of this introduction. Dive in, we'll learn as we go.

About the Author

quote:

Umberto Eco OMRI (Italian: [umˈbɛrto ˈɛːko]; 5 January 1932 – 19 February 2016) was an Italian novelist, essayist, literary critic, philosopher and semiotician. He is best known for his groundbreaking 1980 historical mystery novel Il nome della rosa (The Name of the Rose), an intellectual mystery combining semiotics in fiction, biblical analysis, medieval studies and literary theory. He later wrote other novels, including Il pendolo di Foucault (Foucault's Pendulum) and L'isola del giorno prima (The Island of the Day Before). His novel Il cimitero di Praga (The Prague Cemetery), released in 2010, was a best-seller.

Eco also wrote academic texts, children's books and essays. He was founder of the Dipartimento di Comunicazione (Department of Media Studies) at the University of the Republic of San Marino, President of the Scuola Superiore di Studi Umanistici (Graduate School for the Study of the Humanities), University of Bologna, member of the Accademia dei Lincei and an honorary fellow of Kellogg College, Oxford.

quote:

Eco began seriously developing his ideas on the "open" text and on semiotics, writing many essays on these subjects, and in 1962 he published Opera aperta (translated into English as "The Open Work"). In it, Eco argued that literary texts are fields of meaning, rather than strings of meaning, that they are understood as open, internally dynamic and psychologically engaged fields. Literature which limits one's potential understanding to a single, unequivocal line, the closed text, remains the least rewarding, while texts that are the most active between mind, society and life (open texts) are the liveliest and best—although valuation terminology is not his primary focus. Eco came to these positions through study of language and from semiotics, rather than from psychology or historical analysis (as did theorists such as Wolfgang Iser, on the one hand, and Hans Robert Jauss, on the other).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umberto_Eco

An interview with Eco here:

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/5856/the-art-of-fiction-no-197-umberto-eco

Discussion, Questions & Themes:

quote:

The title is unexplained in the book. As a symbol, the rose is ubiquitous enough to not confer any single meaning.

Pacing

Since this is a mystery, let's use spoiler tags for anything in the last third of the book or anything that might give away the answers.

References and Further Reading

Oh good lord. Literally everything.

I've ordered a copy of The Key to the Name of the Rose and will go through it once it arrives and post helpful comments.

Which Edition? Which Translation?

Make sure to get a copy that has the author's afterword/postscript at the end.

Final Note:

One final note on this book. It is deliberately intimidating. But the author intended that and front-loaded most of the pain. . If you can get through the abbey doorway, whether by reading it or skipping the boring parts or whatever -- literally, he wrote the abbey doorway as a difficulty threshold to scare away readers not up to the challenge -- you can make it through the rest of the book. The threshold is the greatest challenge.

Edit: in the author's own words, quoted from the postscript:

quote:

But there was another reason for including those long didactic passages. After reading the manuscript, my friends and editors suggested I abbreviate the first hundred pages, which they found very difficult and demanding. Without thinking twice, I refused, because, as I insisted, if somebody wanted to enter the abbey and live there for seven days, he had to accept the abbey’s own pace. If he could not, he would never manage to read the whole book. Therefore those first hundred pages are like a penance or an initiation, and if someone does not like them, so much the worse for him. He can stay at the foot of the hill.

. . .
What does it mean, to imagine a reader able to overcome the penitential obstacle of the first hundred pages? It means, precisely, writing one hundred pages for the purpose of constructing a reader suitable for what comes afterward.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, really don't get scared. I reread this, Foucault's Pendulum and Baudolino every couple of years and they are all great novels once you get past the challenge.
I'm not sure if it was the author's intent but think of it as an initiation rite - you have to brave some obtuse prose to get to the juicy plot that follows and it's entirely possible to read them as a historical whodunit story. Or semiotics 101. Or whatever the hell you want.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I'm in; I've read this bad boy a few times before but it's been enough years since the last time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have the English translation on my shelf, but nevermind that, haven't read this in years.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's actually one of the few Eco books I haven't read.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I'm gonna participate in this one. I'll start reading this weekend.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
I read this book last year and loved it. I'd love to read it again to see what all I missed on my first read through.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Bummer, my ebook edition does not have the postscript (which sounds fascinating).

I think I'm about due to re-read this though -- probably plenty to catch on a second read.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I read this book last year and then afterwards I read about the supposed "difficulty" of the Abbey door passage. My response was, really? That's it? I thought that was an interestingly written section.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I never had any issues with it either, but it and the museum section at start of Foucault's Pendulum apparently result in a lot of people stopping reading.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The preface starting with the end of the Prague Spring is really good thematic introduction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The preface starting with the end of the Prague Spring is really good thematic introduction.

I was thinking the same thing. It sets everything up so well -- it's so firmly placed in history ("six days later Soviet troops invaded that unhappy city") that it feels real, right off the bat, but at the same time he introduces so much doubt . . . .

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was thinking the same thing. It sets everything up so well -- it's so firmly placed in history ("six days later Soviet troops invaded that unhappy city") that it feels real, right off the bat, but at the same time he introduces so much doubt . . . .
I actually found out about that date only when I read the English version - the Czech translation from the eighties has, unsurprisingly, omitted that part.
Then again, they could've easily just replaced the thing with something along the lines of "requested assistance by peacekeeping forces" so I guess it got off lightly enough.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

You also get a terrific sense of "the more things change"... the novel is about violence and chaos throwing intellectuals off their merry little orbit. And it's all in the same context of international politics, like the Fraticelli question.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 5, 2016

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
This book is amazing, I'm loving it so far. I've only gotten to the bit where the abbott is telling William to solve the murder mystery without entering the library.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I bought the audiobook to listen to at work this week. I'm 5 hours into the 21 total hours and I don't want it to ever stop.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The doorway was shorter than i remembered. Kind of disappointing.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I decided to read it in Italian this time. Let's see how it goes.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I've been meaning to dive into Eco's stuff for a while now and I'm happy this got selected as BOTM cause otherwise I would've probably just put it off longer. I'm halfway through and I'm blown away by how precise and beautiful the writing is. The history lessons are super interesting too.

This pairs well with the Meister Eckhart stuff I've been reading on and off lately.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I've been meaning to dive into Eco's stuff for a while now and I'm happy this got selected as BOTM cause otherwise I would've probably just put it off longer. I'm halfway through and I'm blown away by how precise and beautiful the writing is. The history lessons are super interesting too.

This pairs well with the Meister Eckhart stuff I've been reading on and off lately.

If you've not read Foucault's Pendulum it's definitely something you'd like a lot. V occulty.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

CestMoi posted:

If you've not read Foucault's Pendulum it's definitely something you'd like a lot. V occulty.

Probably going to read it right after I finish Rose.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
One thing I kind of skimmed past in my first reading was how many times the characters refer to the end of the world approaching. First the elderly Adso makes reference to the Antichrist in the prologue, and then the abbot makes reference to the coming end of the world during his talk with William. That's definitely something I'll be watching out for this time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It was a big theme in medieval thinking. First they all expected it in 1000 AD, then it was more or less a by-product of just about everyone calling their political enemies the Antichrist.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Chapter 109's tangent into his love of the prostitute and by extension his admiration at all creation is extremely mystical and beautiful. My favorite part of the book so far.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
This is a really good book. I was a bit intimidated by the beginning, and all the factions mentioned, the number of characters introduced, but it really starts to come together and it becomes easy to remember who is who and who is a part of what faction, and what each faction represents. I don't have the greatest memory so this morning when I was thinking about what I had read I was surprised to realize I could name almost every character from memory and who they were in the story. They all have such unique personalities and rolls in the story. I love both the mystery, the secondary story, and the chapters that just kind of touch on a subject not really related to either, or are related, but don't move the actual story along.
Toward the end of the book:
The inquisition of Remigio and subsequent confession of his crimes was one of my favorite chapters and right after we get a great sermon by Jorge about the coming apocalypse which I loved.

I should be done with this book tonight, can't wait to see where it goes in the end. I'm considering reading Foucault's Pendulum now.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

Rusty posted:

I should be done with this book tonight, can't wait to see where it goes in the end. I'm considering reading Foucault's Pendulum now.

I really enjoyed Foucault's Pendulum but it didn't really grab me until half way through.

Also, I never realized that Ubertino was actually a real person. When the book listed everything he had done I thought it was weird to create such an intricate backstory for such a small side character, but it's really cool that Eco could work in a real person into the novel that well. It speaks to his ability as a writer that Ubertino fits in so well with his fictional characters.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

I really enjoyed Foucault's Pendulum but it didn't really grab me until half way through.

Also, I never realized that Ubertino was actually a real person. When the book listed everything he had done I thought it was weird to create such an intricate backstory for such a small side character, but it's really cool that Eco could work in a real person into the novel that well. It speaks to his ability as a writer that Ubertino fits in so well with his fictional characters.

Everything in Foucault's Pendulum is real. Not as in actually real, but based on actual conspiracy theories, books, people, illustrations and so on.

e: remember this?

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 14, 2016

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

mcustic posted:

Everything in Foucault's Pendulum is real. Not as in actually real, but based on actual conspiracy theories, books, people, illustrations and so on.

You're right about Foucault's Pendulum, but Ubertino is a character in the book we are supposed to be talking about :engleft:

Anyway, does anyone know of someplace to read up on the significance of the big rear end door at the beginning? I feel like I'm missing some of the symbolism there and I'm sure somebody's written something about it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Can anybody point to an ebook that includes the postscript? Kobo has a preview that lists it in the table of contents, but it's not actually there.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Can anybody point to an ebook that includes the postscript? Kobo has a preview that lists it in the table of contents, but it's not actually there.

My Kindle version has the postscript.

Also, I finished reading this today. Holy poo poo is this pretty much the perfect book. An Italian giallo in book form with descriptions that are just as beautiful (I loved the mysticism too).

Anywayz, really fun read, I was hooked from the beginning and completely entranced the whole time. I'm really disappointed that Audible only has the abridged version of Foucault's Pendulum.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

My Kindle version has the postscript.

Also, I finished reading this today. Holy poo poo is this pretty much the perfect book. An Italian giallo in book form with descriptions that are just as beautiful (I loved the mysticism too).

Anywayz, really fun read, I was hooked from the beginning and completely entranced the whole time. I'm really disappointed that Audible only has the abridged version of Foucault's Pendulum.

Does your Kindle edition say which edition it is? There is more than one eBook version.

edit: ebook edition I have that has the postscript is Mariner Books, Harcourt, says "including the author's postscript" on title page.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 16, 2016

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Does your Kindle edition say which edition it is? There is more than one eBook version.

edit: ebook edition I have that has the postscript is Mariner Books, Harcourt, says "including the author's postscript" on title page.

Mine is the Mariner Books version but the cover says nothing about postscript, just a quote from the NYT.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Just found out Eco died. RIP

Going to reread this, Baudolino, and Foucaults in remembrance

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
I really didn't enjoy the Foucault's Pendulum experience - really quite tedious, but the first 50 pages of the name of the rose is really enjoyable. Perhaps I'm perverse, since others have said it's front loaded with pain, but the writing of the back story of Ubertino, the introduction of Salvatore and the description of the stone carvings inside the church wonderful.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Need suggestions for next month.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

knees of putty posted:

I really didn't enjoy the Foucault's Pendulum experience - really quite tedious, but the first 50 pages of the name of the rose is really enjoyable. Perhaps I'm perverse, since others have said it's front loaded with pain, but the writing of the back story of Ubertino, the introduction of Salvatore and the description of the stone carvings inside the church wonderful.

I thought Foucault picked up the moment Casaubon gives a funny version of the history of the Templars to fit in with the sarcastic Belbon but feels super bad about it later because he rather liked the Templars.

It's really the dialogues and interactions between the characters that make Foucault's Pendulum great, in my opinion.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Well, it was a long time ago. Enjoying the name of the rose sufficiently to think it worth going back to Foucault.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
I felt that Foucault was more of an academic history book about a past that never actually happened than a novel.

A few chapters into Rose now, enjoying reading about medieval Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Need suggestions for next month.

Perfume: Story of a Murderer by Süskind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I may be a little off topic, but one of the great things about Focault's Pendulum for me was how it described Italian post WW2 politics on the margins of the main plot. Not as markedly as The Name of the Rose does with medieval Italian politics, but it was there.

• Locked thread