Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
so the Germans can never be tricked by the "where on the toaster do you insert your toast?" question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
add the pepper after. boiling pepper leads to off flavors

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my classmates always seems to run into "je suis pleine," which literally means "I'm full," but is only used to describe a prangent animal.

it's perfectly polite and normal in French just to say "I don't want to eat anymore"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

zedprime posted:

I think most romance languages are conspiratorially designed so that a 20 year old woman on immersion semester in college tells someone they are pregnant at some point.

"embarazada" :pervert:

Data Graham posted:

It's :aaaaa: that "mucho" isn't related to "much" but to "multus"

oh, cool!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I just told this story somewhere else, but

I went to a hibachi place years ago and ended up seated with a youngish couple, maybe in their mid-20s. when the cook asked about sauces, they just got the mayo stuff in all 3 ramekins, and they put it on everything, to the point they got refills. then they had to leave early, so they got styrofoam to-go boxes and then had the cook fill all of the empty space in the box with mayo sauce. 12 oz / 350 ml at least.

both of them were absolutely ripped. :psyduck:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
we always make a turkey casserole out of the last of the leftovers: turkey, a little gravy, stuffing, potatoes. bake.

I'm not sure why one would add that other poo poo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

:raise:

:staredog:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I figured from the bilingual note about the brand as well as the French grammar error

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ror posted:

The homemade stuff isn’t terrible but if you’re an aficionado you really owe it to yourself to go to a natural hot mayonnaise spring and try some fresh from the source.

it's a cliché that the mayonnaise tastes better in Ireland

but, well

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
a fellow American in another thread was grousing about the word pudding being used to mean "not a custard sort of thing," so I poked around for the etymology.

turns out pudding originally meant haggis, more or less, then became extended to any boiled food, then restricted to certain types of boiled food (only one over here)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Antigravitas posted:

Yanks seem to freak out a lot when they realise that German Mett is raw minced pork. To the undisguised amusement of Germans. :allears:

I'm the US, it was legal until... I think 1984 to feed human garbage to pigs, and that kept the trichinosis train running until well after that date.

it's only in my adult life that it's been safe to eat rare pork in the US

edit:

as I understand it, the most common vector for salmonella in the US is fresh produce (melons, microgreens, that kinda thing)

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Dec 11, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:ssh: statistically US americans get food poisoning more than europeans, but that’s because the CDC tracks far more foodborne illnesses, most extremely minor, than the EU. EU food is more likely to make you dangerously ill :ssh:

interesting

vaguely similarly, they don't allow GM food but will allow food that is propagated from natural mutations, despite the fact that mutations are generally more dangerous

but the US won't tolerate irradiated eggs or milk because of the Incredible Hulk or something, so

edit: boo, krinkle

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I once went to a sit-down dinner where the host couple had baked potatoes, scraped out all the flesh, filled the skins with bacon and cheese, rebaked them, and served them with sour cream. they'd made 40 or 50 of them for 3 couples. I think there might also have been a similar quantity by weight of deep-fried wings. that's it.

their small child's entire meal was the innards of all the potatoes, scraped into a Close Encounters pile.

well, that's my story. god bless.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
we had an appetizer for dinner while the child ate a heap of mashed potatoes. this was just their normal diet, from what I could tell. if I were having people over for dinner I'd cook dinner, but I think I'm just sublimating the boredom I felt into crabbiness about no veggies or utensils:

the host husband wouldn't acknowledge my presence bc he was busy telling the other dude that he needed to get a principal job at a high school with a good football team, since there's a state law that the principal has to be paid more than anybody else at the school. the women all talked shop about the school they all taught at. their enormous cat was skittish, and there was nothing to do but watch a child eat more potato than I could.

also they were teetotallers.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Iron Crowned posted:

They could have been little potatoes, not every potato has to be a gargantuan russet

they weren't the hugest russets, but they were loving large considering the quantity. maybe the size of the ones sold as microwave potatoes? a garden-variety (heh) russet?

The Bloop posted:

I assume these potato skins did not have ALL the "flesh" removed, that would be very odd. One would normally just scoop them out a bit into a boat for the toppings.

no, that's just it... the took all of the potato out of the potato. I have never seen such as thing (as an entree, anyway)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

The Bloop posted:

So it was literally just the skin itself filled with goo?

You got keto'd, my friend

I assure you that these people would never do keto

they were drinking that diabetes tea

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ah, the Jersey land squid

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Lib and let die posted:

How2PumpkinSpice:

Mace, cinnamon, nutmeg

MACE

how low can you go?

death row.

what a brother know?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zanael posted:

Jesus wept.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So it looks like the trademark was applied for in Mumbai, India, and a search brought some Roastawiches with Indian ingredients like Creamy Paneer Firangi and Chilly Corn Cheese. An avatar has one definition of " a variant phase or version of a continuing basic entity" so they're giving bread and the sandwich a new phase or variation. Sandwiches, Indian Style.

oh, that makes sense. avatars are how the Hindu gods appear on earth, so I imagine the word has more currency in Indian English

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
can we start using The Brentford Cheeseburger as a euphemism?

I don't care for what

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

His Divine Shadow posted:

What's the difference between mushy peas and pea soup?

I can mushy peas, but

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I found the source for the sauerkraut snowman:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7b78we/the-male-chefs-night-before-christmas

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I am apart from my mother the only person I know who does my own vinaigrette, let alone the other dressings I eat, so I don't think that part's wrong.

I also make my own gravy!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my first writing teacher's big break came when Scott Simon came to interview him about his first book.

they went to a country store in the middle of nowhere for lunch. Simon ordered a salad, and the people there were flabbergasted that he didn't want ham and cheese all over it, and (bc they didn't have a vinaigrette) no dressing

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bob dobbs is dead posted:

salad means 'salted thing'

so does sausage. therefore,

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
everybody I know who does hoppin' john on New Year's eats greens with it. some people say this:

ulmont posted:

Black eyed peas for your change and greens for your folding money.

and some people say it's luck and money, respectively

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
pro hoppin john move is heirloom cow peas rather than black-eyed peas

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Bismuth posted:

When and why did organ meat become "weird" in america? People have always reacted strangely to me loving organs like im a cannibal or something

tongue used to be more common, but it's gotten rare. American tastes have gotten both more bland and more adventurous, depending on which demographic you're talking about.

you can get good ingredients in grocery stores that would've been impossible to find 30 or 40 years ago, but the processed food freezers take up like 8 times the space of the veggies freezers.

I legit bought everything I need for sushi at the shittiest grocery store near me. it and the ok one near me both stock eg lamb and veal, but I think I'm the only one buying it.

people are still apparently cooking chitlins, but holy poo poo* does everybod sell those here

*heh

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

I remember one of the Beezus & Ramona books (which are from the 50s iirc) had a thing where the POV kids realized in shock and horror that their parents were serving them tongue for dinner.

I always think about this scene when tongue comes up, too. she figures out that it's tongue by the bumps, but I've since learned that you're supposed to skin it first.

the last time I went to the local flea market, there was combination hotdog and taco stand run by a 4'8" Latina lady and a 6'4" white dude. despite the fact that the vast majority of people in attendance are extremely country white people, they'd completely sold out of tacos (and not hotdogs).

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I have a friend who worked at the Italian restaurant that Schnatter had started at, the one that inspired him to start his chain. he'd come back fairly often to chat with the owner.

even before he said a gamer word during a teleconferenced board meeting, I'd learned a lot about what a massive and bizarre piece of poo poo the guy is.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

when you take your first bite
and a lizard's inside
that's anole

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Captainsalami posted:

Stories please

that looked like fishing... sorry about that. I meant it to be a throwaway but true line.

the closest my friend got to his general shittery was a then-friend who was trying to talk to a server there. Schnatter was also talking to her and ended up assaulting her.

allegedly. I mean, who can say whether this proven racist and anti-Obamacare semisentient shitstain would perform a crime for which he'd face no repercussions

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Scarodactyl posted:

Of course locally we have Cook Out which is the best.

what the heck

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SlothfulCobra posted:

Most restaurants serve muscles.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zanael posted:

These guys really don't know how to raclette

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raclette

I've only ever had the French play-at-home version, which is done kind of like Korean BBQ or fondue in that you cook/reheat your meat and veg and melt the cheese in little pans at the table.

also it doesn't involve such obscene quantities of cheese :getin:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, on a global level lactose tolerance is the weird thing. Most people are lactose intolerant. White folks and India got the weird gene because our barbarous proto-indo-european forebears had to subsist on cow byproducts for a long time while they were busy conquering and colonizing other, weaker prehistoric people who ate "meat" and "vegetables"

there was a weird nazi dogwhistle I saw about being about to digest milk as an adult, but given that any culture (heh) that drinks/eats milk (Masai, Mongolians) has that enzyme... well, heck, it's almost as though white supremacists are idiots

apparently humans evolve the enzyme really fast (5000 years or something)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's how gluten became sort of a reverse fad food as a bunch of people just started to recommend cutting gluten as a sort of cure-all.

I know a number of people who've self-diagnosed gluten sensitivity, which is not an agreed-upon medical thing. generally, within a year, they'd just quietly start eating gluten and drinking beer again.

it drives my friend with a severe gluten allergy absolutely nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Butterfly Valley posted:

*actual aged cheese, not fresh cheeses or American

true. Parmesan has basically none, iirc