Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Tony Bologna posted:

Rum and diet cokes sounds terrible.

The combination alchohol+artificial sweeteners smells (and I assume tastes) almost exactly like a fresh coat of shellac.

Especially if the rum also came in a plastic bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Bonus: here's what I made. Well, wish me luck.

Judging by the recipe, you made aggressively mediocre scalloped potatoes. I'm not sure how far a wish for luck would get you, if potato in bland cheese sauce is that loving far out there for you.

should have made the loving aspic, you weenie

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

bike tory posted:

This is from a few pages back now but w/e

I've never seen milk in glass bottles here ever, or a milk vending machine. Whay city do you live in?

There are at least a few milk vending machines around Kobe, saw one in the basement of San Center the other day.

Also a lot of the burbs still do milk delivery. You see the trucks with their pallets of bottles in Suzurandai and Minotami. Out where I live there's a single guy who goes door to door, even in the big apartment complexes, selling milk. I dunno if he's just one lonely employee of a larger company or if he does his business for himself but he does sometimes come around and offer to sell up some milk that's a couple days away from going off for like third price, and it's pretty drat good dairy, too.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Mood lighting really sells it.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

UWBW posted:

Excuse you, there is nothing wrong with that cheesesteak. :colbert:
Looks like something you could get at Pats or Genos, if I'm any judge (the places that invented the cheesesteak).

1) roll is insufficiently toasted (inside isn't golden)
2) peppers are sliced too thick and poorly distributed
3) lacks mushrooms

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Ramos posted:

The American in me needs to know exactly what this means.

I'm guessing tartare a.k.a. filet américain.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The tips are where it's at.

Aren't they always?

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Even I, an ally of pineapple on pizza, cannot defend pineapple in burrito.

Burrito, maybe not, but pineapple is great in a taco with pork butt, minced onion, and cilantro.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

I'm pretty sure I've ordered that from Red Rock, and that it was delicious.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Sweet As Sin posted:

From my facebook feed, ham sandwiches with white sauce

Croque monsieur made with bechamel? (halfway to a madame?)

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Bee larvae taste uncannily similar to Honey Nut Cheerios.

(Probably has something to do with the fact that they're full of honey, for starters, plus the rich protein-filled guts, and the mild crunch of underdeveloped exoskeleton.)

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Stromboli is topped when flat and rolled up into a large spiral, like a big pizza roulade,

Calzone is a large stuffed moon or half-moon full of toppings, like a big pizza dumpling.

Sometimes calzone is fried, this is heresy and breaks all pizza rules. Because stromboli and calzone are both pizza.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You should stop here.

I'd argue that that particular realization is a good place to start a journey of meaty discovery.

Edit: Also I think a lot of the hate for Skyline is from having the canned stuff. Somehow canned Skyline is even worse than other cheap canned chili.

OutsideAngel has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Aug 21, 2017

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Loutre posted:

Saw this ad at work today.

Honestly that's about my ideal amount of fish vs. rice so yeah, I totally would. Price isn't great for what I'm assuming is only okay-ish fish though.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Loutre posted:

Sushi Den is the worst of probably a dozen sushi places in CentralWorld. It's got a conveyor belt and it's always empty.

:discourse:

Just googled CentralWorld and apparently it's an enormous shopping complex (i.e. a fuckhuge mall). Even in Japan the department store sushi is okay at best, I shudder to imagine what MallFish(tm) is like anywhere else.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

This is jackfruit "pulled pork" yeah?

It's nothing next to real pig but every vegetarian I know swears by it and the texture is close even if it just tastes like whatever you sauce it with.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
W-wow, fried dough? Fried dough?

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Man all you motherfuckers complaining about the lack of good tacos in the UK don't even appreciate the serious taco withdrawal you have to go through when moving to Japan. Pinto beans cost more than loving pork chops here, and there is one place in the whole city that sells tiny jalapeños for way too much. Corn meal? Forget about it. Chorizo? You're loving joking.

Finding a local grower of habaneros was like late-summer-christmas. You best believe I bought every pepper for sale.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

You mean a Chicago deep dish?

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

A list of foods appropriate for stoned people, from the book I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence:

I think some of these sound pretty good.

At least 3/4 of these are legit tasty junk food, if you like eating garbage at 4.am, which I do, emphatically.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The worst food thing I ever did while high was mix sugar-free raspberry Jello powder with Greek yogurt. It was pretty hard to finish.

Well your mistake here was obvious, sugar free Jello tastes like the fluoride wash you get when you're a kid at the dentist.

For content the worst high food I've ever made was a deep fried kitkat sandwiched between two mc'd dollar menu cheeseburgers, also battered and deep fried. Molten chocolate does not work well with piping hot ketchup, mustard, or pickles, even if you disregard the severe oral burns, while at the same time the "taste" of the "beef" patties and the texture of the wafers just got lost in the whole morass, so it was mostly a sad, greasy, mess.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

These are both ridiculous but at least the second one has flavors and textures that work together. That Mumbai Monstrosity (tm) puts black olives on top of loving pineapple.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

LogicalFallacy posted:

You, friend, have obviously never experienced the MagicTM of a Hawaiian Haystack.

Despite living in Hawaii for almost a decade, I can safely say that I have not.

Also from a quick google it looks like haystack is what would happen if a donburi and a tostada smoked a lot of meth and had a baby and that baby grew up to be a schizophrenic.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

bike tory posted:

Person in Tokyo, go to any convenience store and buy one of these and consume it for the thread:

Its creamy corn soup in a can. Itll be in the heated drinks section

I got one of these out of a vending machine just this morning.

Brief trip report: slightly thinner and sweeter than the kind you make at home, usually a decent amount of kernels per can, always comes out of the machine at perfect drinking temperature, the can is warmer than the soup so its nice on your hands, good poo poo on cold rear end mornings.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/Reizi_am00/status/928947177715408897

There's so many things I could say about this one that I can't bring myself to actually pick one.

The raw yolk looks weird, but the fatty richness really helps bridge the starchy rice and lean roast beef.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Japanese mayo is no better and no worse than the poo poo you buy in western supermarkets. It's a little more sweet, it uses different vinegars so it has a slightly different tang, and it's full of delicious MSG. Honestly if you bought a sachet of MSG crystals and sprinkled them over some Miracle Whip you'd be hard-pressed to taste the difference.

It definitely is not "closer to aioli" or whatever dumb poo poo some weeb wannabe foodies might try to claim.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Best not be talking poo poo about white bbq, that stuff is delicious on poultry.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
A tin of Spam costs the equivalent of 5USD here in Japan. I imagine it's even more expensive in a lot of other places.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Good country gravy uses pork fat rendered from the sausage + lard to make the roux, so it really shouldn't taste much like the béchamel made with butter you'd find in like moussaka or whatever.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Chicken sashimi is pretty good. It's washed and dried so it's not slimy. Thigh meat has a texture that's rather close to fatty tuna. I wasn't a fan of the gonads but the liver was nice.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

hello thread. i am going to osaka/kyoto in april. pls advise on what strange food i should eat

things i have promised to consume:
fugu

things i've tried and know i can't stand:
natto
natto-flavoured kitkat

things i can't eat (much of) due to health issues:
internal organs (i have high uric acid)
chicken sashimi

There's a restaurant in Kyoto called Okariba where everything served is wild caught/gathered. You can enjoy bee larvae, crickets, wild wasabi, barbecue boar, and shochu steeped with Japanese killer bees (spicy!).

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
I'm all the people in this thread who look at that lunch like it's not ten times better than anything any kid from a poor American county gets served.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Sushi-ro, a Japanese conveyor sushi chain, does a salmon nigiri with pesto and cheese. I was suspicious at first, but now I get one every time I go.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A pumpkin pie is not a tart.

A pumpkin "pie" is clearly a crusty squash pudding.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
A big slice of head cheese on some dark rye with real spicy mustard is one of the few truly beautiful things in this world

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Add one can tuna, one can peas, and two leftover Taco Bell hot sauce packets. Pair with Steel Reserve, the gnarly kind from the can. Welcome to university gourmet.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

I'm usually pretty good at these but this time I got fuckin nothing.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Dixville posted:

I saw a chocolate covered pickle on Facebook and, well...

Apparently it's thing or whatever

Like a much, much worse koolaid pickle.

bike tory posted:

Is a pudding sandwich AFP?

Japanese "bread" is so sweet it makes European cake seem bland by comparison.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
It is pretty fuckin scummy to sell diet pills and holographic pendants and homeopathic remedies on the same drat shelves as actual medicine, often with similar packaging to boot. And setting up a snake oil display ten feet away from a pharmacy counter does go a long way toward legitimizing scam products, that's why the scam artists do it.

So I can see how you might conclude that a medical professional ought to be ethically obligated to refuse to work in such a setup, if you were totally, or willfully, ignorant of the realities of real world labor.

Now for content, I ordered pizza with a Japanese friend today. I got bulgogi, he got corn and mayonnaise.

And when I say that he "got corn and mayonnaise" I mean that there was neither tomato sauce nor melted cheese on his slice. Just bread, slathered in mayo, topped with (obviously canned) corn.

The bulgogi pizza was pretty rad tho.

OutsideAngel has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jun 20, 2018

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cn9Z4-zc1s

These egg dishes especially are terrifying.

Do they always go so overboard pretending that food is way nastier than it is?

Like, garum is basically salty nam pla but they act like it's the worst thing ever conceived and they can't bear to take even one bite of omelette with fish sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
I like Japanese rice bran pickles. They've got the lactic tang of a good half-sour but without any salt or vinegar, just a really clean, crisp flavor.