Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

At least it wasn't blood, sweat and tears I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Quid posted:

But most of the time it just looks disappointing,

Something is bothering me about this pic but I just can't place it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Carnival of Shrews posted:

On the subject of inhabited cheese, 'The Cheese Mites'

Because the cheese mites are basically flour mites, and closely related to dust mites, mitey cheeses come with a bonus chance of anaphalaxis for those with a dust mite allergy.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Otana posted:

Every time I meet someone who can't eat a thing I like, I *almost* do the "OH I WOULD DIE IF I COULDN'T EAT [whatever]" and then I realize I am that person to everyone else and it's really not that bad. Inconvenient and kinda sucky, but we all get by and learn to cope. :unsmith:
Yeah, same sitch here with red meat and fatty dairy (though I haven't ever had a life-threatening reaction--if I were hypersensitive I imagine I'd have a lot more trouble getting by).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

AlbieQuirky posted:

State fairs started in the 18th century, though. Were they doing "deep fried pig's ear pie with vinegar molasses sauce" back then?
I think the mix was more along the lines of 'parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme'.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

RandomPauI posted:

It's not edible anymore, they put some sort of preservatives on it. That defeats the point of foraging for wild fruitcake.

They specifically did not do anything to the fruitcake itself per the article.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Your mistake was using one of those newfangled translations instead of the KJV. There Jeremiah 6:20 refers to it as "the sweet cane from a far country", because clearly more sugar was called for in this recipe.
Has anyone tried calamus? I want to try calamus now.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Samizdata posted:

Nooooo. It's the lack of conviction, IMO. If you don't want to eat meat, then don't eat fake meat. Don't brag about sacrifices you aren't actually making.

(I wouldn't be like then if the vast majority of vegetarians and vegans I have known haven't been insufferable proselytizing gits. Practice THEN preach.)
I acquired an allergy to red meat from a tick bite so I do appreciate these alternatives. Even chicken and turkey sausages tend to be made with beef casings.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Rollersnake posted:

Definitely the best dessert choice when your other options are room temperature melon chunks, something that may or may not be cheesecake, bananas in a mysterious red syrup, and a broken soft serve machine.
I only patronize buffets that have those tasty little mocha sheet cakes, thank you very much.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

bloom posted:

some kinda vile pastry
Vile pastries?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Data Graham posted:

Why is wallpaper paste still everybody's go-to example of a bland boring thing

Yes I'm sure we have all not only applied wallpaper but also eaten the paste, it can't be helped

Probably becauce KFC famously sued Colonel Sanders for saying their new gravy recipe was literal wallpaper paste.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hattie Masters posted:

and does cactus tacos that my vegetarian friend has said are good.
If you have not tried it, fajita steak and pickled cactus have the most amazing synergy that I cant even fully describe. I cant eat it anymore so the rest of y'all need to pick up the slack.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Give me a hot breaded slab of flounder next to a puddle of ketchup mixed with hot saice and vinegar any day of the week.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I wonder if wild grape leaves would work. We have loads of wild grapes around which nevwr produce, thoigh admittedly the leaves are small. Maybe it is time for some home grown AFP.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

AlbieQuirky posted:

"Banana water" sounds like some kind of old-timey slang. "Ah, banana water to you, you big palooka! 23 skiddoo! "
Close, the phrase was 'banana oil'.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They ate it dry. Should be safe unless they also snorted the seasoning packet.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

And on Iron Chef too.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I just hope they can grow it without alpha1,3galactose in it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

CommonShore posted:

Hot corn girl
She's been living in her hot corn world
Bet she's never had a frozen try
Bet she's never said the loose corn "why?"

Just a hot corn girl,
living in a cold wheat world

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Found a seafood cookbook from 1992 in my moms house, this is a spectacular way to gently caress up a pineapple

Shrimp and Cashews in Pineapple with Tarragon Dressing.

Will post more finds.
That's essentially just a Piña Loca, right? A common but not ubiquitous staple in American Mexican restaurants. Regrettably, the shrimps in that one look more like grubs than the actual grubs on the pizza and tarragon doesn't thrill me in this context but aside from that it sounds nice.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Alcohol does inhibit botulinum growth past about 6% concentration https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12696684
Anything else is a lot less likely to kill you.
But with these things it is a good idea to do some research and find a safe recipe.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It would make me break out in hives though, so...wouldn't, with regret.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Samizdata posted:

MEATY REALMEAT!
CRUD BONEMEAL!
LUMP BEEFBROTH!
BIG MCLARGEHUGE!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

:randpop:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Haifisch posted:

Merry Christmas, have some "brownies".

In quotes because gelatin is involved, somehow:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

:randpop:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

axolotl farmer posted:

This is Swedish plankstek - "steak on a board". Mashed potatoes, steak, Bearnaise and pepper sauce, served on a cedar or oak board. The steak is cooked and placed on the board with the potatoes and veg, and then grilled in an oven until the potatoes are browned and crispy on top.

This was a restaurant staple in the 1970s, and it's still around in pubs and steakhouses that don't care about food trends.

Really unappetizing pic from wikipedia.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Are the almonds raw or toasted??? They'd better not be salted dammit.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Digging up a real old one so I can get this last one out the door.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

taste the rainbow
:randno:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

rodbeard posted:

Any southern food that isn't spicy is overly sweet or flavorless garbage. Shoofly pie is somehow both. It's literally just a pie crust full of molasses.
Shoofly Pie is a Pennsylvania Dutch thing and originated in Philadelphia.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I may be being stupid but don't maggots only eat meat? Or are they omnivores? I don't doubt your experience, but is there like a sugar worm or something?
Maggot is a very broad term that includes the larvae of a wide range of fly species with a wide range of diets. Some of them will eat meat, some target fruit and apparently some will go for chocolate too (though since the ones in this video were probably not really maggots but mealmoth larvae they might have been more into the wafers).
eta: A few times I got to the bottom of hershey's bars that had been stored in our pantry and found small brown eggs with some sort of wispy webbing. I still have no idea what those were.

Scarodactyl has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Feb 16, 2018

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Failed Nihilist posted:

Do we need a new pedantic argument? If so, I'm on team "boneless wings are just chicken nuggets."
General Tso's is just boneless wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think I know why they presented it this way. Crazy presentations are always a distraction, and in this case it's from the fact that THAT ISN'T A CHICKEN!!!