Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Magically regenerated health aside, MW1 tried to stay somewhat grounded back before we had cyborg ninjas in BO3. It's easy to make fun of the "wipe raspberry jam off your face" trope now but back then it was considered a step away from blatantly video-gamey health packs lying on the ground.

And there's the nuke level. People were reloading that mission back then because they assumed they must've done something wrong. I'm so good at quickscoping that I'd never get killed randomly in a war and be unable to do anything about it, right? :saddowns: So I clearly remember my dawning horror at the 2009 E3 MW2 debut trailer. Sneak into rogue Ruskie base, good so far, OK the mission's gone south and you're running, OK OK... wait, now we're outrunning helicopters on snowmobiles and gangsta styling machine pistols? It's a shame too because as weak as MW2's story was, the third act still tried to say something antiwar-ish with the reveal of General Shepard's cabal/motivation.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Of course teams of OMA tubers spawnkilling and just calling killstreaks in MW2 always amused me. It was the closest that game ever got to realistic combat after ramping snowmobiles over cliffs dual-wielding shotguns. Imagine getting atomized by mortars and jets you never saw, forever.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

2.These days multiplayer matches have a very tenuous balance until one person gets killed by the grenade launcher, when then makes them start using it in retaliation which then spirals the whole lobby out of control. Making most objective game modes a complete joke because the objective points will just explode every so often leading to nothing being accomplished.

Counter-Strike players have lived with this since 1999. To quote Sun Tzu, "you break the auto ice, you pay the auto price." :sperg:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So in reality you can't hear the guns going off from inside the cockpit? That's a little disappointing. :(

Hell half the fun of calling in an AC-130 was knowing the sounds of your guns are scaring the poo poo out of the enemy team.

Oh I'm sure you can hear, if nothing else, 40mm and 105mm cannons going off and making the airframe shudder. That linked video was probably an after-action review tool using a no-sound thermal camera with the crew chatter overlaid.

e: I mean the AC-130's big gun is literally one of these bolted onto the fuselage. You'll hear/feel it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SehKhHK6PN4

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 11, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Psion posted:

Well pretty much all of what made IW actually IW left between 2 and 3, so that makes sense :v:

Makes me think of the real life Griggs and what he worked on in the game that got him his own character. I've always wondered where he is now. :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

It's hard for people who didn't play MW1 when it came out to get just how much of a shock the nuke was. I knew people who literally reloaded the level because they assumed they must have done something wrong earlier. It's been 9 years since the game came out, longer than the time between the O.G. Halo in 2001 and this. The average public wasn't really into the console FPS until Halo so the genre was still pretty fresh, much less a gut punch like this.

Turns out sometimes in war that you just die no matter what you do, no matter how hard you can quickscope! Kinda sucks huh? :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

If Dogmeat was friendly, what happened to him? He ran off to wreck some Russians according to Lazyfire but when you set up claymores... nowhere to be seen?

You guys poo poo talked MW3 and it totally deserved it but the (first of two in that game) stealth mission ripoff actually semi-owned. You infiltrate an Leonian village taken over by Makarov's allies and it's really atmospheric. Inevitably you have to fight your way out but you briefly cover your squad as they move up using a sniper rifle and then mortar. Should've been a meatier segment, maybe like a mini-AC130 mission. The second stealth mission in MW3 in the rainy city with the Russians was totally unoriginal though. Basically an urban ripoff of Ghillied Up.

The sequels has some good story and gameplay ideas. MW2 moreso on carrying on the MW1 antiwar tradition w/r/t/ Gen. Shepard being a power-hungry authority figure scared of turrists but who the hell knows was going on with MW3's story. Maybe they were ideas that were cut from MW1 but they weren't drawn together cohesively like their predecessor. :(

Dapper_Swindler posted:

see the problem i had was the backround politics of MW3(yes i know its Cod game and none of that poo poo matters but still) Ok so in MW2 the ultranationalists take over russia politicaly and dissavow makarov because he is crazy zealot who wants russia to be Country number 1 and rule all or some poo poo. So he becomes a terrorist with a massive organazation with ties around the world. anyway he and Sheppard play everyone for their own reasons and because russia is apparently run by W. bush they invade america. ok fine, stupid but whatever. I guess the Russians get their poo poo pushed in and sue for peace. then 3 happens and i have no idea anymore.

IIRC the Russians were pushed out of America in MW2 and at the beginning of 3 but were still in Europe afterwards thus the continuing conflict.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Kadorhal posted:

Hell, I never saw a legit nuke in MW2. Every time I did see one it was because of either an invincible hacker or a pair of assholes boosting each other to end every round with one.

But even in our darkest hour, we had heroes to believe in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iuB3tqMrpA

e: I AM. THE LAW.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 24, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

The Griggs self-insert always annoyed me particularly in this video and the unironic end credits rap.

"Heh, ain't it a bitch?" "Sheeeit, kid's got some issues." :smugissar:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

MW1 probably could've had a few more gats but the Battlefield 4/recent CoD trend towards having ninety billion different types is stupid. There are only so many niches or roles to fill and eventually they all become samey. I wonder if devs should just make the models purely cosmetic like they've done with the camo skins. Allow players to assign different clearly distinguished roles with appropriate yet also balanced stats/rates of fire/etc etc to the tactical barbie that looks sexiest to them.

A semiauto P90 with 10x scope, 10rd clip, and kills in two shots sounds good to me. :whatup:

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 28, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

For example, all LMGs either do 24 or 30 damage. Same for ARs, and have similar numbers for hip fire and stability and accuracy. It becomes a matter of preference on spray pattern and drop and fire rate more than in CoD where each gun is built so the designers can check off a box that says "balanced guns." That isn't to say BF doesn't have broken weapons or anything, but rather that BF doesn't try to slot each gun into a predetermined position.

But that does inevitably lead to identical guns or broken guns IMHO. Either one's not better at a specific approach like spray firing from the hip to a specific job like CQB than another, in which case it's a different cosmetic skin for the same thing, or it is better at hipfire CQB than other guns trying to be hipfire CQB guns, in which case why use anything else in that niche? Going to sniper P90s is probably too far but deciding to spawn with the spray'n'pray, huge clip, close-in stat set and assigning it the G36C or MP7 or MTAR-21 skin. Throw a tiger stripe camo skin on top of it if you're feeling crazy. Those can all still be unlockables. And you can still tell what kind of capability you're facing down when you see an opposing player with a G36C, MP7, or MTAR-21.

quote:

If you ever wonder why games give you all these unlockable guns in multiplayer you need to look no further than the next franchise launched by the same people who launched CoD: Titanfall. Titanfall had a notoriously stark weapon list. Really it was a of weapons in each of the traditional CoD weapon categories, the anti titan weapons and a few pistols and that was it. You could unlock all the guns in a few hours, and then a few more hours and you would have all the Titan stuff. The Titanfall developers specifically said they didn't want to make the game a grind fest, and while that's a commendable position considering nearly every FPS with an experience system is a major grind fest, it looks like it was a misread of the market as people had accessed all the weapons and Titan equipment in a week or two and sort of sat around wondering why they were playing if there was nothing else to get. Titanfall is now famous for having a huge amount of hype and actually delivering on it (it was a solid and fun game), but not being able to maintain a following for the long term, which is vital to the success of future games in the franchise.

No debate there and devs probably have no choice but to cater to that particular monster now. It's too bad because Titanfall didn't deserve to be abandoned but people are so used to filling bars now. Back in my day, fragging enemy players was the only reward we needed! :bahgawd:

By the way has the MW Honest trailer been posted yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDeo21MQVFo

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 29, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Between the reaction to this level and the TV station in Charlie Don't Surf, IW decided to get rid of infinitely respawning enemies in future COD sequels. And good riddance. It also opened up your tactical options and allowed you to snipe/explode them until nobody was left instead of always having to charge in to finish them.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

It was way better than I thought it would be. I think CQC and I at least would be down for another Multiplayer night in the near future/before the end of the thread.

I both can and can't believe we ended up with Shipment as the last map.

Wasn't able to make it last time but if we do another I'm in. Gotta get some sickass dank illuminati trickscopes for my 240p Youtube montage because this is 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Where my Bad Company 3 at?

fake: cuz BC2 MP was hella addictive

• Locked thread