Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
the kentucky GOP seems to be in an alternate universe where Yeb and Carson are still in the race and Rubio and Kasich aren't http://rpk.org/caucus/results/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kentucky Republicans too lazy to update their website, could be fertile ground for Rubio.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
Todays Results: http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/amanda_adkins/status/706158121807294465

looks like big turnout everywhere.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
loving Carson at CPAC, endorse someone who is not Republican

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Did Trump win yet?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Hollismason posted:

loving Carson at CPAC, endorse someone who is not Republican

He actually had a pretty good diagnosis of why inequality is bad, how it formed, etc. But of course he said the solution was to cut taxes.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

As a Kentuckian, let me tell you there are a lot of stupid people here. Trump will probably win KY by his widest margin yet. Unless enough really, really stupid people vote JEB or Carson I guess.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

My guess...

Trump takes Kentucky, Louisiana, and Maine.

Cruz takes Kansas.

Delegates will be tighter than the win/loss.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Montasque posted:

My guess...

Cruz takes Kansas.

This is probably right.

But Trump sweeping or losing Maine to KASICH [buckle up!!] as well as KS to Cruz would be hilarious as well.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Will Rubio win anything today? Santorum campaigned in Kansas for him, lol.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

He may have an ok showing in some caucuses but...nah

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

No. He most likely wont win anything.

And yes 'lol' is the correct response.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/706185870194425857

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
As long as Trump wins no less than two and Rubio wins no more than one, I will accept any outcome of today as sufficiently chaotic.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

If Cruz wins Maine I dont even know.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Montasque posted:

If Cruz wins Maine I dont even know.

Turnout in Waldo County was 3x 2012.

Maine will probably be super chaotic.

e: also the ideal situation is for Trump to win Kansas and Cruz to win Maine.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cruz ain't winning poo poo in New England.

Don't forget it's Harry Enten, who gave Trump a negative percentage chance to win the nomination.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Don't forget it's Harry Enten, who gave Trump a negative percentage chance to win the nomination.

I know Harry is an eternal Trump doubter but the numbers don't lie. With that said that county was a Paul county, and Maine did go to Romney in 2012.

Schnorkles posted:

Turnout in Waldo County was 3x 2012.

Maine will probably be super chaotic.

e: also the ideal situation is for Trump to win Kansas and Cruz to win Maine.

Ideally Trump would want to win both, but I think it will be one or the other, or neither!

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010
Harry Enten has been stuck on the Denial stage of grief for months now, long after Nate Silver moved on.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Montasque posted:

I know Harry is an eternal Trump doubter but the numbers don't lie. With that said that county was a Paul county, and Maine did go to Romney in 2012.

I haven't seen any numbers on it, but I feel like Cruz is probably more attractive to libertarian types than Trump is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I will admit that I'm surprised at how strong Cruz still is, a week ago I was expecting it to be a Rubio-Trump one-on-one by now. But Maine really isn't a Cruz type of state. Hope it's just a one-off.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Even in the pro-Trump projection (thanks for the run-down, Mukaikubo), Trump isn't securing a majority of delegates and doesn't have a majority of delegates going into this. Considering he really needs that majority to avoid a ratfucking at the convention, is he really on a trajectory to win the nomination right now? Is the idea that his constant first-place finishes will erode support for the other candidates (especially Rubio who keeps declaring 2nd place victory?) with enough time left to start bagging majorities? Are there enough winner-take-all prizes late in the primary that so long as he can lock in his 35%-40% support before then he can make up the difference?

What's the path to victory for Trump, assuming average performance today?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Rick Santorum also won a county in Maine in 2012 (lol).

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Dolash posted:

Even in the pro-Trump projection (thanks for the run-down, Mukaikubo), Trump isn't securing a majority of delegates and doesn't have a majority of delegates going into this. Considering he really needs that majority to avoid a ratfucking at the convention, is he really on a trajectory to win the nomination right now? Is the idea that his constant first-place finishes will erode support for the other candidates (especially Rubio who keeps declaring 2nd place victory?) with enough time left to start bagging majorities? Are there enough winner-take-all prizes late in the primary that so long as he can lock in his 35%-40% support before then he can make up the difference?

Winning the WTA states on the 15th puts him in prime position to win.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

If Trump doesn't win one it's just because he's done so much winning he's tired of it

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

Dolash posted:

There's a bunch of winner-take-all primaries coming up on the 15th, if he wins Florida and Ohio it's over.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Dolash posted:

940 delegates are allocated to winner-take-all states. Trump needs 899 more delegates for a majority.

e: maths

Zohar has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Mar 5, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If he has 40-49% of the delegates and they manoeuver him out of the nomination, he has the moral right to set up a third-party run.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Phlegmish posted:

I will admit that I'm surprised at how strong Cruz still is, a week ago I was expecting it to be a Rubio-Trump one-on-one by now. But Maine really isn't a Cruz type of state. Hope it's just a one-off.

Maine Republicans are Tea Party central. They don't exactly fit Cruz but they're very close. The format also helps him.

It'll be peak chaos over there in any case because after the Paulites hijacked their state party in '12 they reformed the rules. This is the first time Maine GOP votes actually count as a 1:1 ratio and the turnout numbers from four years ago were off by a lot.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Phlegmish posted:

If he has 40-49% of the delegates and they manoeuver him out of the nomination, he has the moral right to set up a third-party run.

Something to keep in mind is that this won't just piss off Trump supporters, it'll piss off the supporters of whoever doesn't get crowned the nominee among Cruz/Rubio/Kasich.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Montasque posted:

My guess...

Cruz takes Kansas.

Probably the most reasonable assumption however I think Kansas will be super close

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Phlegmish posted:

If he has 49% he's the nominee, because there are already three uncommitted state delegations plus about a hundred and fifty unbound GOP hacks at the convention and some of them are gonna defect.

If the closest contender only has 20%-30% he probably needs like 45%.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Narciss posted:

Something to keep in mind is that this won't just piss off Trump supporters, it'll piss off the supporters of whoever doesn't get crowned the nominee among Cruz/Rubio/Kasich.

Honestly, it might even piss off a lot of Republicans who didn't support Trump but don't respect the GOP using dirty tricks to keep him out.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i bet rubio wins, like, the congressional district in new orleans and not much more

it'll be interesting to see if cruz really starts gaining momentum as the anti-trump after this. kasich would need some portland votes to come out of this with any sort of positive momentum, i would think

kasich and rubio might split the areas they could both win and then each of them will blame the other and the candidates the gop establishment hates above all others will have a large majority of the delegates and all the momentum

turnout sure seems to be continuing to be high. i'm interested to see what the closed primary/caucus heavy day does to trump vis a vis his polling margins, as was stated before

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Dolash posted:

Honestly, it might even piss off a lot of Republicans who didn't support Trump but don't respect the GOP using dirty tricks to keep him out.

And maybe even help him in the general, if he takes it seriously. "I was too centrist for the GOP so they pulled the rug out from under me and nominated a donor-appointed stooge. Vote for me, I'm the only one not bought by billionaires."

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

oystertoadfish posted:

i bet rubio wins, like, the congressional district in new orleans and not much more

it'll be interesting to see if cruz really starts gaining momentum as the anti-trump after this. kasich would need some portland votes to come out of this with any sort of positive momentum, i would think

This would be an absolute disaster because it would hand Trump Florida.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Phlegmish posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with Enten but he consistently talks poo poo on Trump multiple times per day. He can't help himself.

In between every useful nugget of information there are about 10 anti-Trump tweets.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i see the democratic discussion today has been, shall we say, walled out of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

oystertoadfish posted:

i see the democratic discussion today has been, shall we say, walled out of this thread

If you want to read what the dem discussion would be feel free to read the last 100 pages of the dem primary thread, which is the same 6 arguments repeating the same points forever like an ouroboros of poo poo posters.

• Locked thread