Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so far in total votes it's rubio 643 - trump 106 - cruz 58 - all others 3 - kasich 0

poor kasich

2.7% of precincts reporting, who knows what this precinct looked like but puerto rico is 99% hispanic so it probably looked hispanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

Sure, why not

Anyway, Rubio apparently won PR, wooooo

It's sad to see voters go against their own interest in Puerto Rico, but perhaps the same could be said of all Republicans.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Atlantic posted:

One of the consequences of the economic crisis in Puerto Rico? Drastically lowered turnout. Reports forecast turnout at just 25,000 for today’s Republican primary, four years after almost 130,000 Puerto Ricans turned out in the 2012 Republican primary to vote overwhelmingly for eventual nominee Mitt Romney. The main reason for the dramatic drop in turnout is an even sharper decrease in polling places, from 3,226 in 2012 to only 110 today, attributed by many to lack of funds. Turnout could also have been lowered by the steady emigration to the mainland.

:stonk:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

puerto rico's been losing 50,000+ people a year to the mainland for the last half decade
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/14/puerto-ricans-leave-in-record-numbers-for-mainland-u-s/
it's interesting from a pure electoral horse race standpoint because they're all eligible to vote as soon as they move to a state, unlike immigrants from outside our colonial possessions, and a shitload of them moved to orlando in the last few years, so it's got a sharp impact on that swing state's politics

the population of the island seems to have gone from 3.75m in 2010 to about 3.5m now. that's pretty rough

pulling from this table https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_population and sorting by % change between 2010 and 2015, the only two states or territories to lose population in the period were west virginia, which lost 0.48% of its population, and puerto rico, which lost 7.25% of its population. it's unparalleled

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Mar 6, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I wonder if we'll ever get Puerto Rico and the other territories (DC, Guam, Virgin Islands, American Samoa and the Marianas) true voting rights. It seems extremely hosed up to me that they're American citizens but have no voice in the government, save primaries.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I have a dream, that someday we will enfranchise every long-legged pissed-off Puerto Rican.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i think if there is a trump wave (Drumpfwelle (i was using drumpf to make stupid german compound words about trump before john oliver made it 'cool')) in the democrats' favor, and against all odds the dems take the house and the senate, then they should really try to shoehorn as many new minority-heavy states in as possible.

DC? i'm pretty sure they want it, i lived there for two years and that was the sense i got. PR? i have no idea how the recession has affected their triune statehood/status quo/independence debate, does anybody else know? i'm vaguely aware that statehood would let them declare bankruptcy, or something, and independence would probably piss off all the people who want to move to the mainland, but i don't know how the vast majority who don't/can't leave feel about that issue

i'm imagining this from a we're-doomed-to-lose-both-houses-of-congress-in-2018-so-let's-ram-a-bunch-of-democrat-poo poo-through, pure short-term electoral standpoint (which has historically been a prime consideration in adding new states), but even if it helped the gop ditch white nationalism and get the economically conservative nonwhites of the country on their side of the line of scrimmage i think that would be a good thing for the national political discourse

i assume DC and PR are the only realistic states, the pacific territories are really small and short of granting them statehood it'd take an amendment, i think, to give them voting representatives in congress and the electoral college

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I thought that Puerto Rico voted to become a state in 2012. What happened with that?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I thought that Puerto Rico voted to become a state in 2012. What happened with that?

Everyone forgot to make it a state.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

i think they had a weird two-step process designed to confuse people, and then it was just a 'hey congress here's what we want but yeah we can't do anything so could you please do something' sort of petition that was ignored

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_status_referendum,_2012

yeah looks like a bare majority voted that they didn't want to be a territory any more, then a clear majority of the total electorate, including the ones who wanted to stay a territory, chose statehood out of a list of three non-territorial options. im thinking it was designed to avoid letting a clear conclusion be drawn from the results

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The vote was considered not valid by a lot of people because the way the question was proposed. Well that and racism, probably.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I know this isn't "Super Saturday" but I live in Hawaii and want to share what's happening here anecdotally.

On the dem side, I see a couple Hillary license plates here but over the last couple weeks I've seen people standing outside waving Bernie signs and flags during rush hour. Bodes well for an enthusiastic Bernie turnout.

On the republican side I have no loving clue if there's even any republicans here. That being said, I've received some Facebook and Twitter ads from Kasichs campaign, so I wonder if it will lean Kasich due to his soft marketing and moderate stances. Then again there's a large Mormon population so I wonder if Carson would have done well if he was still in it. I don't think anyone would like Cruz here.

That being said it's a caucus and literally no one in Hawaii cares about politics so it's probably mostly up to insiders to pick. My bet is that Bernie will win it big for dems, and either Rubio or Kasich wins Hawaii on GOP side.

Just my two cents. I'll keep you more posted on the 8th!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Congress has to act to make it a state. Congress is not going to act.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i am thinking that if 46% of the vote (looks like it was 78% turnout, pretty good by american standards) voted for the status quo then maybe they really would turn down the option in a fair election (although what is that even? a 'territory or state' ballot would probably piss off the independence people, a three-way one would piss off everybody else probably)

well PR's complicated but no matter what, a theoretical/mythical two-year democratic rental of the trifecta (all three branches of the federal government, really, with the new supreme court justice) should definitely ram through dc statehood. i think that would be rad

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

oh I should also note Tulsi Gabbard who is well established here and the vice DNC chair recently endorsed Bernie, and that created a big stink in national media. Everyone here supported her decision though from what I can tell.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Threaten PR with independence and you'll get a majority voting for statehood.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

oh one other story about Hawaii. from what I can tell, no candidate has visited the state. Scott Walker was here hosting a GOP networking dinner here a few weeks ago though. I was extremely tempted to shell out the $150 to go, except it was all going to fund the Republican Party so yeah no thanks.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yea, the whole thing is bullshit. The gov't should give them an option for statehood or independence. The whole colonial territory thing is dumb. Not sure what to do about the Pacific Isle territories though as they are all so small, maybe group them all into a single state.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Any Puerto Rico move to statehood is probably on hold what with them going bankrupt and all (though Congress can't even manage to pass a bill allowing that).

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

one last Hawaii tidbit. apparently lots of people have been getting this robocall from a "Hawaii for Donald Trump" committee which is pure lol:

https://vimeo.com/157769050

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rocks posted:

one last Hawaii tidbit. apparently lots of people have been getting this robocall from a "Hawaii for Donald Trump" committee which is pure lol:

https://vimeo.com/157769050

You mentioned Gabbard is pretty established, how well liked is she by the general public? You have any thoughts on her?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

its kinda funny how at this point you can barely even tell when a star or two is added

anyway i think the republicans will keep the house, like 90% odds, so they wouldn't possibly let any new states be added, or we'd be in an antebellum situation where they'd demand to make, like, west texas its own state too so there's no net partisan gain (but we already know that they'd rather just not let any new states be added). it's a total hypothetical

if democrats do grab the house i hope they realize they're getting kicked out immediately thereafter anyway so they better get some poo poo done with their majority. most of the time, i think, when one party gets a ton of their policies enacted they lose power shortly thereafter, it's just part of the game

edit: tulsi gabbard's dad has been in hawaii politics pushing socially conservative poo poo for a long time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Gabbard he's been in both parties at different points

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

oystertoadfish posted:

i am thinking that if 46% of the vote (looks like it was 78% turnout, pretty good by american standards) voted for the status quo then maybe they really would turn down the option in a fair election (although what is that even? a 'territory or state' ballot would probably piss off the independence people, a three-way one would piss off everybody else probably)

well PR's complicated but no matter what, a theoretical/mythical two-year democratic rental of the trifecta (all three branches of the federal government, really, with the new supreme court justice) should definitely ram through dc statehood. i think that would be rad

PR should be given two options: statehood or independence. We shouldn't be having places with millions of people governed as a territory, something that we created originally to deal with large unincorporated tracts of land in the Louisiana Purchase.

As for the Pacific Islands I always figured a unified state of Pacifica or something along that line would work. The only wrinkle are the US Virgin Islands which I suppose could either join Pacifica or Puerto Rico (although PR would be pissed).

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pretty much. Puerto Rico's averaged something like 45% statehood/45% status quo/10% independence for decades.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

XboxPants posted:

You mentioned Gabbard is pretty established, how well liked is she by the general public? You have any thoughts on her?

Hawaiians are very loyal to other Hawaiians, and she was born and raised here, so my understanding is that she's extremely well liked even though she often criticizes the president. I work with a few people that grew up with her and still hang out with her, so I know she is in circles of we'll call it "Hawaiian Establishment", i.e. the group of prominent business and political leaders. So yes she is well liked and definitely more well liked than Obama.

She's had a bone to pick with Obama and Clinton for a long time (she is openly critical of their foreign policy strategy) so it wasn't a surprise that she went with Bernie. And she doesn't even get phone calls from POTUS's office when she criticizes the president, only FLOTUS's, which is kind of lol.

Rocks has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Mar 6, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^^does her dad's politics ever come up wrt tulsi in hawaii? seems like he was anti-civil union/gay marriage for a long time, possibly still is, and he's been a republican at various points

axeil posted:

PR should be given two options: statehood or independence. We shouldn't be having places with millions of people governed as a territory, something that we created originally to deal with large unincorporated tracts of land in the Louisiana Purchase.

As for the Pacific Islands I always figured a unified state of Pacifica or something along that line would work. The only wrinkle are the US Virgin Islands which I suppose could either join Pacifica or Puerto Rico (although PR would be pissed).

pure independence got a really small part of that vote, but apparently there's some halfway-house 'free association' thing a solid minority of people there like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereigntism_%28Puerto_Rico%29
i'm not really clear on what it would mean tbh. seems like 'free and voluntary' is part of it so i guess either of us would get to end the 'association' at any time

i dunno apparently more people want to go for statehood, but you'd have to clarify the difference/similarity between 'free association' and 'independence' before you could get a fair referendum written, i'm guessing

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Mar 6, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Free association basically would mean that they get to keep using the dollar and keep being American citizens but have total home rule in terms of domestic law. It's the "have our cake and eat it too" option.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Any Puerto Rico move to statehood is probably on hold what with them going bankrupt and all (though Congress can't even manage to pass a bill allowing that).

Honestly we need the US to invade us again and start appointing military governors for a while.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Free association basically would mean that they get to keep using the dollar and keep being American citizens but have total home rule in terms of domestic law. It's the "have our cake and eat it too" option.

And that's why I don't think it's a realistic option. The whole point of moving them to statehood or independent is because their current status is very clearly not working (e.g. they can't declare bankruptcy but also can't pay their bills and their economy is collapsing). they need to either be brought into the fold or kicked out of the nest. no other option should be considered as it'll just lead back to where we are now.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

40%+ precincts reporting and kasich still under 'all others' in the vote total

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

its kinda funny how at this point you can barely even tell when a star or two is added

Don't think so narrow, we could have alot of fun designing a new flag

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

flagchat

i think if youre gonna stick with the 13 stripes/N stars thing you've gotta keep the stars in a basic square up in the canton or else the whole thing gets even sillier than it already is. but w/e

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

oystertoadfish posted:

flagchat

i think if youre gonna stick with the 13 stripes/N stars thing you've gotta keep the stars in a basic square up in the canton or else the whole thing gets even sillier than it already is. but w/e

Put the stars running along the stripes.

Edit: I'm assuming you're the one in charge of this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My understanding is that PR gaining statehood or independence would be a disaster for its residents. PR is free from a large array of regulatory, financial and other legal obligations that become obligatory if it gained statehood- it lacks the infrastructure or viable economy to do almost any of those things. Some research indicates the situation is more complicated than just regulatory forebearance, so set that part aside. The general problems of federal-state interaction would still exist, though- PR's manufacturing sector would not sustain itself into statehood. An independent PR would have an even worse array of problems.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Mar 6, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Obdicut posted:

Put the stars running along the stripes.

Edit: I'm assuming you're the one in charge of this.

lol apparently

i really would prefer just throwing another star up there, is my personal flagchat opinion. boring, i know. if this was nz flagchat i'd have supported just using the all blacks logo, straight up, none of the complicated poo poo they ended up putting on the referendum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_flag_referendums,_2015%E2%80%9316

i thought i'd find an example of what you're saying by googling 'usa flag stars on stripes' but no not so much. guess id have to put >0 efforti nto it

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 23:18 on Mar 6, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Everyone forgot to make it a state.

Dammit, I knew I forgot something. Sorry, everyone. Sorry.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's gonna be like a swastika of stars except instead of Ls it will be Ts

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

looks like 100% of puerto rico has reported
http://www.decisiondeskhq.com/results/2016/primary/gop/president/puerto-rico/
71/13/9/6/1, rubio/trump/cruz/others/kasich
38,699 total votes, way way way less than four years ago. as someone mentioned they seem to have cut the number of polling places down by like 90% because the government wishes they could be bankrupt

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sanders wins Maine.

Two hours ago.

Apparently no one cares enough to even notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Patter Song posted:

Sanders wins Maine.

Two hours ago.

Apparently no one cares enough to even notice.

I think it came up in the debate thread I think. It was the Primary Without a Country

• Locked thread