Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Really, this all could have been prevented if they changed the fence posts after Manuel died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Seriously, did anyone else think that Manfred was a vampire the first time they saw him?

Night10194 posted:

Do you think, as well as teaching him that only the verdict matters and the system is obviously blindly correct, Von Karma also led Edgeworth down the dark path of cravats?

He, in fact, did introduce him to cravats.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: Good. Begin by telling us what you saw the night of the incident. and don't add anything trivial or subjective.
: Understand?
: ... Y'all need to learn some manners.

That didn't seem like a terribly rude request.

:colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Ah yes, Von Karma. He knows there's weaknesses in his witness' testimony but rather than even attempt to play along with proper procedure he attempts to bulldoze through everything to get his verdict. Edgeworth might have been described as ruthless but he's nothing compared to Von Karma (as he warned.)

It's great :allears:

Yeah, when Phoenix is talking about Edgeworth initially, he says things like "I hear he doesn't bleed, feel emotions, or pain." or something along those lines.

Von Karma is actually embodying those traits.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Being a prosecutor is basically easy mode in Japanifornia given that they basically control the police, the evidence, the judges, etc.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Elric posted:

How the gently caress is telling the judge what to do not contempt of court?

The amount of things prosecutors get away with in this series is ridiculous.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Looks like a less pristmmaculate Redd White to me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the most amusing part of all of this is that Lotta has lied so much that she's quite clearly not even a trustworthy witness anymore. Why are we listening to anything she has to say?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I replayed the original trilogy recently, and I was absolutely stumped on what to do when I got to Day 1 of the trial, because I wanted to bring up the number of gunshots and the other pictures, but no, we have to discredit Lotta as some kind of Gourdy hunter first.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Obviously the killer was Gourdy and the third day of the trial will be Phoenix cross-examining a lake monster.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Elric posted:

You know, I am pretty sure that telling a witness to lie and hide evidence is a crime. Like, a major crime.

It's pretty much expected of prosecutors, like perjury is of witnesses.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

...oh lord, even Von Karma hasn't got the stones to bring in the actual murderer to say Edgeworth did it, does he?

I mean Case 2 had Edgeworth do the same thing. I'm not saying that's going to happen, but there is precedent.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is Missile a Ghost Trick reference, by any chance? :allears:

Nah, this Missile came first. Though I do believe that there's an episode in the anime of Edgeworth adopting the actual Missile from Ghost Trick.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sharing our suspicions with Redd White and Dee Vasquez worked out so well the last two times. Why not do the the same with Von Karma? :bravo:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Hell, at least during the last few times all Phoenix had was suspicions that Redd White or Dee Vasques were involved in the case somehow. This one takes the cake due to literally having decisive evidence in his pocket that the person he's confroting had instigated murder.

Not to mention that this guy is the prosecution he's going up against in court tomorrow.

Night10194 posted:

So Von Karma led Edgeworth down the path of dark prosecution and cravats and is now going to have him executed for murder entirely to spite a guy who is already dead in order to avenge loving up his time-table a little.

Dude is a pathetic, petty piece of poo poo.

Von Karma is a little sensitive about his perfect record. Just a little.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

: The defendant is guilty, clearly!
: So tell me when the guilty verdict is declared so I can go home.

This would be considered an A+ paper in Japanifornia.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's also a 'terrible law' simulator. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This moment should be framed as a testament to everything that Ace Attorney is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Shirec posted:

I don't know how familiar everyone is with this story, but something like this happened IRL not too long ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/06/26/foul-mouthed-parrot-may-be-used-as-evidence-in-murder-trial-prosecutor-says/

I think I asked the AskAceAttorney blog about that once.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

Did you get a response? If so, would it be possible to post it here? Or would it be too much of a monumental pain in the rear end to find it?

I just made a joke asking if that was real life DL-6 and they posted an image of Polly from the anime.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was the anime faithful in adapting this part?

The anime did the parrot cross-examination yes.

The taser scene was dropped in favor of a very stupid scene where they get Larry to disguise himself as Edgeworth while the real deal snuck out of the courthouse and helped Maya break into von Karma's office.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 9, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: Bah! A mere coincidence, that's all! My granddaughter has a dog she calls "Phoenix."
: Well, Mr. Phoenix Wright? Does this make you my granddaughter's fiancee!?

This exchange always makes me laugh. Every time. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I choose to believe von Karma was responsible. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Malah posted:

I'm pretty sure subtlety goes out the window when admitting to a career foul play in front of a judge in open court.

I mean, he's been a prosecutor for 40 years without one defendant found innocent. I'm pretty sure most everyone realizes he's at least somewhat crooked but too afraid to outright say it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is hilariously accurate for this whole series.

Mors Rattus posted:

: So you killed your father, though that was not our intention?

Typo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

von Karma planned for literally everything.

BioEnchanted posted:

and in the third game (Unwound Future) the villain is just an immense sociopath who wants to wreak havoc because he can

I'm pretty sure that the villain of that game is the person who gets off Scott-free after ruining the lives of two indignant people.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Are we both talking about Future Luke? or are you accusing the lead scientist on the time travel project of being the true villain?

I'm saying that Hawkes is the real villain, especially given that it's his actions that cause the other two to be villains.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

First off, I think it's important to point out that Von Karma did not hunt down Gregory Edgeworth with the intent to murder him. Von Karma comes off like an evil SOB and maybe he is but in this instance, can he be absolutely faulted? He was shot. He was obviously deleriouswith pain and anger and confusion. He did not have some methodical revenge plan.

Yeah, I couldn't help but notice that as well. He's definitely a horrible person, but I don't think he would've committed murder he hadn't basically been gift-wrapped the chance.

Green Intern posted:

Von Karma: "Yes, I shot him"
Judge: "Alright. Court is Adjourned"

So, are we sending Von Karma to jail, or what?

Well yeah.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Von Karma (and all other real culprits) still has the right to his own trial. This trial is for Edgeworth. Typically, the game doesn't cover the secondary trials of the real culprits.

I was under the impression they meant whether von Karma was going to be sent to the detention center or not.

But yeah, like Dirk says, the secondary trials are usually only alluded to.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah, this. They do acknowledge them sometimes though. In a couple of the games there's a few lines about how somebody is offscreen somewhere heading up the prosecution against the criminals you uncover during your defense trials.

I like to imagine that this is how Winston Payne makes his career as a prosecutor. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As a note, the 3DS (and iOS) Trilogy went back and edited the script for Justice for All to account for Rise from the Ashes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Keltena posted:

From what I've seen, basically just adjusting a few lines that explicitly rule out the possibility of Phoenix taking any cases between 1-4 and 2-1 to be more vague. It's still a bit of a stretch to fit 1-5 into the plot if you think about it, imo, but the writers did the best they could to make it fit, and it's a great case in its own right, especially considering how ambitious it is.

You mean 2-2. It takes place before 2-1.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Prototype Phoenix looking a little like Luke Atmey tickles me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As a note, we've actually heard from Lana before. Probably a retcon given she didn't speak in the same way back then due to this case being added in after the third game, but

Mors Rattus posted:

: Hello. Chief Prosecutor? I've changed my mind. I want to testify tomorrow.
: What's this about?
: The Mia Fey case. I witnessed the murder, you see.
: And, thus, as a very important witness, I would like to testify.
: What? Why now? I thought you said you didn't want to go to court?
: Quietude...! I told you I changed my mind, didn't I? Oh, and one other thing. Send the police over here right away.

there you go. :eng101:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

In case you're wondering, yes, Ema and Lana were explicitly designed to parallel Maya and Mia.

Well, they do outright point it out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wouldn't she have to go in to court to plea no contest?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

I hate the guy in the cowboy hat. His western shtick is annoying.

Not liking the best character in the case? They shoot you for that in Texas.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's nice to see that Edgeworth got a sense of humor since the last time we met him. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That's pretty good, to be honest. If I have any criticism, I'd say the face is a little too long.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

whitehelm posted:

It's seven games now that we have Spirit of Justice.

Seven? We have two trilogies for the main series, the two Edgeworth games, the Layton crossover, and the two Dai Gyakuten Saiban titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, my mistake.

Though, wouldn't it be eight due to Investigations and the crossover?

• Locked thread