Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
What decided you on the current house style that you're leaning toward? Had you ever thought of a modernized Craftsman-style house?
e: I'm glad to see this thread, I'm rooting for you. Also, I looked at the house plans and saw the 'Craftsman-style house'. I'd love to build and live in one of these:
http://thebungalowcompany.com/

Right now I'm in a ranch-style house. :rolleye:

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I have stayed in a house that had a secret set of rooms. The guy that built the house had a 2-story living room with a long loft over half of it, the loft had a sectional couch, some end tables, a TV, etc., and there was a big wall of shelves for VHS tapes and books. If you pulled out a tape on the far right end of the shelves and pressed a concealed switch, a shelf section swung out to reveal a bedroom and full bathroom, and a doorway to a larger room over the garage, with a drop-down set of steps to the garage. No sign of the steps from the garage either. I wound up in that bedroom while I stayed there, it was great.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gounads posted:

Well anyways... he's going to send a proposal to us next week. From how he was talking, my guess is he's way too expensive for us , but I do like how he talked about being a partner in the project throughout. He even offered to help us get the plans bid on with companies he's worked with in the past (we'll still get our 2 candidates to bid to make sure we're not being sandbagged). He's willing to work with the builder to make sure our vision is realized. And he was very careful to say it'll be our design, and not an artistic vision of his.

Could you explain this? Is his hourly (?) or per-job rate too high? Or is he just pushing toward a too-expensive house?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zhentar posted:

You only think that's a problem because the MTBE hasn't yet oxygenated your brain enough to understand the benefits!

Don't be afraid, embrace it! MBTE = Minimal Time Between Ecstasies!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cakefool posted:

Looks like you can start your daily commute with a spot of gentle drifting down the mountain.

Yeah, on a snowy day you might not need your morning coffee until about 10:30 or so.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gounads posted:

Roof decking over the second floor of the house, going on the garage now.

The house is coming along great. I can't tell / recall, are you doing 2x4 or 2x6 construction for the exterior walls?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Now only $17,595! Gotta love the FREE SHIPPING.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

n0tqu1tesane posted:

They saw your post about the toilet throne and decided to surprise you by buying it for you.

:drat:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

We had so much fun climbing on our tank when we were kids. The internet can't agree if you should paint it camouflage or like a hot dog.
Or a melon, or somesuch!
http://weburbanist.com/2012/10/28/grill-gas-flash-15-prettily-painted-propane-tanks/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
What kind of wood stove are you looking at?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gromit posted:

Seeing that bottom step open like that makes me want to have a hidden button installed that lets you lift the step to get at a hidden cache below.

Hopefully not a cache of insulation, or a hidden dungeon-like game room.
:grovertoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Your house ended up really nice, thanks for the thread! :buddy:

• Locked thread