Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Adventure Mode 7: Throwback Warriors

Help ghosts keep owning me

Silver Falcon posted:

The Eldin region in Skyward Sword was Eldin Volcano. The mole people live there.

Bah, only remember the cave part of the Eldin Temple. One of these days I'll play through Skyward Sword again... maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Carlioo posted:

Bah, only remember the cave part of the Eldin Temple. One of these days I'll play through Skyward Sword again... maybe.

don't do it, you have so much to live for

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The second level baton mission is a lot easier when you use the right strategy - take out the southern Aerolfos quickly, then take care of the messenger to the south (the northern one always gets stuck and is no threat). If you can deal with Wizzro in time to stop Volga from getting to your base, you have it in the bag. Everyone but Ghirahim will come straight to you, and you just have to deal with each wave before the next one arrives. The Rapier is by far the best weapon to use here, even setting aside the fact that you can potentially get the third level one before taking on this level. Also, boost Zelda's Lightning defense if you're having trouble with losing too much health.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

It's nice seeing this game get LPed, because it is a really good game, and the LP actually got me to go back to the Adventure mode grind. I also want to say thanks for the Adventure Mode videos, especially the last one, because they helped me to finally beat Zelda's level, holy poo poo was that stupid. Using the Rapier instead of the baton made a huge difference, enemies were actually dying in a reasonable amount of time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Having problems with most of Adventure mode usually means that you're doing SOMETHING wrong, whether it's using the wrong weapon, completing objectives in the wrong order, doing things you don't strictly have to do... I didn't even use the Training Dojo until very late in the Master Quest map (although I wish I'd dumped some money into levels instead of just leaving it at the cap for so long), and it's only in the very late parts of the Twilight and Termina maps that I'm finding my characters inadequately leveled by more than I can reasonably make up by going to other parts of the game for a while or getting lucky with weapon drops. There's obviously an element of skill that can't be substituted, and if you're not good at fighting an enemy like Volga or Zant, you're either going to have to practice or level up until you can force your way through, but most of the time, it's possible to complete the mission with the A-rank with the required character at around the time you'll unlock it, if you've been thorough.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 20: From Warriors to Legends

And with this, we're done with the story mode! For now at least, I've been thinking of getting my a capture card-modded 3DS, since camera recording is turning out about as good as I was expecting and not really a good idea for an action game. There is still a lot of adventure mode and characters to show off though, so we're not done yet!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I still say Groose should have been in this game, or at least someone else from Skyward Sword. All the other games represented get at least two 'good guy' characters, and sometimes the bad guy too. Skyward Sword only got Fi; that's it. It's especially weird looking when you get those scenes where your allies from other dimensions pop in and out of their time portals. You get Midna and Agitha popping out of one, Ruto and Darunia out of another... and Fi all by her lonesome from the last one. It doesn't match, drat it!

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I still say Groose should have been in this game, or at least someone else from Skyward Sword. All the other games represented get at least two 'good guy' characters, and sometimes the bad guy too. Skyward Sword only got Fi; that's it. It's especially weird looking when you get those scenes where your allies from other dimensions pop in and out of their time portals. You get Midna and Agitha popping out of one, Ruto and Darunia out of another... and Fi all by her lonesome from the last one. It doesn't match, drat it!

I think Impa is supposed to be Fi's partner, which makes kinda sense since she also was a somewhat big part of Skyward Sword and her look in Hyrule Warriors feels like it took inspiration from that game. Also her "enemy commander"-intro has those weird pendulums in it, which is probably also intended as a reference to SS.

On the other hand, just give us playable Groose already! :argh:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Carlioo posted:

I think Impa is supposed to be Fi's partner, which makes kinda sense since she also was a somewhat big part of Skyward Sword and her look in Hyrule Warriors feels like it took inspiration from that game. Also her "enemy commander"-intro has those weird pendulums in it, which is probably also intended as a reference to SS.

On the other hand, just give us playable Groose already! :argh:

You see, I don't think that Impa's supposed to be Fi's partner, because you can just as easily say that her look is based off of her appearance in OoT, which is the gate she goes through. If she was meant to be Fi's partner, why is Link the one to go to Skyloft instead of Impa? Also, if she was meant to be based off of SS, why does she question Sheik about the sheikah tribe at the beginning of the Death Mountain map?

As for Groose, what would he use as a weapon, a handheld Groosinator? (Oh my god yes, please make this happen Koei, this would be amazing)

Aside from that, can't wait for you to get to Lana's last weapon.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Actually, one of the sealed weapon abilities you can sometimes unlock is "VS skyward" which gives you a damage boosts against Skyward sword characters, which in fact includes Impa. Though, that is probably just based on her appearance, her OoT look is an alternate outfit after all. Still, should say something.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Stephen9001 posted:

Actually, one of the sealed weapon abilities you can sometimes unlock is "VS skyward" which gives you a damage boosts against Skyward sword characters, which in fact includes Impa. Though, that is probably just based on her appearance, her OoT look is an alternate outfit after all. Still, should say something.

What it says is that they're fully aware that there aren't enough Skyward Sword characters to make it a worthwhile ability otherwise. Yet they can't come up with any more to add as they bring in more and more DLC characters.

Hey, we need a new character for Hyrule Warriors. You know who would be great? Grwho? No! We need YET ANOTHER version of Link! That will be perfect!

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Really at this point I fully expect them to have Classic Link show up, even though Link already has the Classic Tunic.

Adventure Mode 8: Boots Made for Kicking

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Bloody Roar 4 was fine, the issue was more that it was a graphical upgrade of 3, with mostly the same fighting engine. It reviewed poorly because people were getting tired of just getting the same game re-released 3 times in a row. Which is basically Hudson Soft's Modus Operendi, the late 2000s were not kind to them (all they put out were bomberman re-releases on the new systems and Mario Party) and they've since been bought out by Konami.

So yeah you're never seeing another Bloody Roar game.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Carlioo posted:

For now at least, I've been thinking of getting my a capture card-modded 3DS, since camera recording is turning out about as good as I was expecting and not really a good idea for an action game. There is still a lot of adventure mode and characters to show off though, so we're not done yet!

For what it's worth, I've been watching the whole thing so far and would definitely be interested in seeing HW Legends too. I've kind of fallen out of love with Nintendo over their questionable business and tech decisions so I don't have a 3DS or Wii U, so when the occasional really interesting game like this comes out, well, it's good to have LPs! :v:

I didn't think I'd like Linkle at all, and I still don't know what to think about "rule 63" being acknowledged in an actual game; but she's growing on me. Really, my big complaint now is that they basically copied the Elf from Dragon's Crown 100% in her design and it seems kinda lazy. Other than that I do like the inversion; how Link is a stoic and super-competent guy so she's a cheerful ditz. Plus I'm a little sympathetic because I never use the map and compass either and have gotten lost in dungeons more than once in the old days. :sweatdrop:

And yeah, Groose would've been a really good addition. He could have the exact same role he did in Skyward Sword (a sort of buffoonish normal who can still contribute mixed in among all the magic and spiritual creatures) and actually remind people of the most recent game in the series. You know, like Nintendo did with Smash Brothers vis a vis Fire Emblem. But what do I they know?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Another thing I really like in Legends, strangely enough, is that the DLC characters only start with their level 1 weapons unlocked, and you have to unlock the higher-level ones by playing the DLC maps. In the Wii U version, except for the three free DLC characters, everyone has all three levels of their weapons unlocked as soon as you download them, so if you're starting a new file and you have all the DLC, you'll be getting high-powered weapons for Link, Zelda, and now Ganondorf very early on, especially if you use Amiibos. It seems like the sort of thing that should have been easy enough to do in the original version, but they either couldn't or didn't bother.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Part 9: Twilight Sorcery

Nidoking posted:

Another thing I really like in Legends, strangely enough, is that the DLC characters only start with their level 1 weapons unlocked, and you have to unlock the higher-level ones by playing the DLC maps. In the Wii U version, except for the three free DLC characters, everyone has all three levels of their weapons unlocked as soon as you download them, so if you're starting a new file and you have all the DLC, you'll be getting high-powered weapons for Link, Zelda, and now Ganondorf very early on, especially if you use Amiibos. It seems like the sort of thing that should have been easy enough to do in the original version, but they either couldn't or didn't bother.

Maybe the Wii U version didn't support that for the DLC characters? Kinda weird if it didn't, since they probably knew that they would be adding more characters. Oh well, I don't complain, makes some of these missions easier :v:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The best thing about Twili Midna, aside from absolutely everything, is that her strong attack acts like a special attack when fully charged - it instantly freezes all the enemies around her and, as far as I can tell, makes her immune to damage. So it's like having an extra special meter, but instead of draining the SP meter when you use it, the damage you deal with it actually charges up the regular SP meter. Likewise, using special attacks charges up the strong attack meter. I started using her at level 1, probably at areas around as tough as the ones you're doing here, and still won with little difficulty because she's just that good.

I still think Young Link is more likely to reach 500 kills on a magic meter than Twili Midna because he can recharge his MP on the fly, but I never managed it with either.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I got to about 900 kills with a Young Link magic meter once on a "Rack up the KOs" map. Didn't think to screencap it, but it happened.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Senerio posted:

I got to about 900 kills with a Young Link magic meter once on a "Rack up the KOs" map. Didn't think to screencap it, but it happened.

3 digits? that's adorable.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
True form Midna is just so fun to play. The orb attack is perfect for maps where you just clear out garbage. The cannon is great (and hilarious) for any tough commanders you don't actually want to get close to. The meter attack is both fast and STRONG. It'll outright kill any chumps, and I've seen it halve weakpoint meters on giant bosses.

Again, I'm cooping through the game with a friend to make it easier, but I stick to Link and True form Midna while he handles whatever incidental character has a reward on the map. Link already has all weapon affinities except dark, so picking up a strong backup character like True form Midna means you can always have that extra damage bonus against whatever you're fighting.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Didn't they specifically reduce the transfer of SP to MP in a patch/Legends to keep this in check? It used to be 1 to 1(So 1 bar of special gave you 1/3rd the magic bar) but now it's less?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 8, 2016

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Didn't they specifically reduce the transfer of SP to MP in a patch/Legends to keep this in check? It used to be 1 to 1(So 1 bar of special gave you 1/3rd the magic bar) but now it's less?

Not as far as I know. When I tested him out not too long ago, it still seemed to be 1 special bar = 1/3 magic and I can't find anything online about it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I can't believe I never thought to try it in one of those levels. Now that I see how it works, it seems so obvious.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
drat, Twili Midna is both incredibly powerful, and has looks on par with Cia. Thats a good combo. (come on, you know Carlioo's partner was thinking the same thing)

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Highest I screenshotted. I'm sure I've gotten to 4k before but I stopped taking screens when the HW thread in Games died down for a bit.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Highest I screenshotted. I'm sure I've gotten to 4k before but I stopped taking screens when the HW thread in Games died down for a bit.

:stare:

Alright, new goal: farm items and upgrade Young Link as soon as possible so I can show him off in the most broken fashion.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 10: Ride the Wave

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The final hit of Ruto's normal combo is ridiculously strong against boss weak points, at least.

I think the rank 3 weapons on the Master Quest map might be easier to get than the rank 2 weapons, particularly for Wizzro, but for the most part, I needed a really good rank 2 weapon to get any of the rank 3s. It's just too easy to run out of time if you're chipping away at a strong character with 120 attack and only one, maybe two skills on your weapon.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 11: Good Old Blue Magic

Sadly no updates next week since we suddenly had double the workload at my job and I was away from home under the weekend. Oh well!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ruto is good, and I like her.

The Summoning Gate... I could never get a handle on it. I haven't even used it at all yet in the Legends version. Looking forward to you showing it off!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

The Summoning Gate... I could never get a handle on it. I haven't even used it at all yet in the Legends version. Looking forward to you showing it off!

The gimmick of the Summoning Gate isn't explained in the game - at all, as far as I remember, and certainly not well if it is. Someone told me about it while I was streaming one time, and it elevated the Gate from pretty terrible to barely usable. It's probably on the level of Agitha and her Parasol.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

The Summoning Gate's gimmick is very poorly explained, in that the weapon blurb when you check your combos mentions "powering up your summons" or something to that effect, but it never tells you how to do so. It does have some of my favorite attack animations though, even if the weapon's kind of lackluster.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 12: Difficulty Curve

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The Power Gloves are indeed amazing. It's Bow-Wow. :3:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 13: Lord of the Butterflies

Apologies to all Agitha-lovers in advance.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Personally, I find her first combo (the swarm of butterflies) to be particularly effective in breaking non-boss weak points. With her Stamina Fruit badges maxed out, knocking the enemy into the air and then hitting them on the way down will break the gauge every time, and it gives them much less chance to recover - the juggle combo leaves them stunned until they hit the ground. The way you showed is, of course, the best way to handle bosses by far.

It also helps to know that if you only press the strong attack button once at the end of her longer combos, she won't summon the butterfly straight out of them. I find the fourth combo (charging rhinoceros beetle) to be pretty effective in keeps - you can attack any nearby enemies, then summon the beetle in the direction of the largest concentration of enemies, usually clearing enough safe space to land and repeat the combo. The butterfly bomb is also great for that purpose, but I think it leaves her a bit more exposed, since enemies can hit her on the butterfly as well as while she's mounting and dismounting, and there's nothing you can do about any of it.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 14: Hardcore Posing

It's only natural that I upload a video where we talk about the 3DS level cap on the same day they raise the limit :v:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Wow, I didn't even know there was an update. Cheers.

I also didn't know Ghirahim's targeting had all those effects - I only knew about the single kunai he can throw by hitting the strong attack again. He might actually be a decent character now, although I still hate the way his normal combo swings the camera behind him when he does that teleporting attack. The real reason the Magical Sword is probably most people's first level three weapon is that it's the only one that doesn't restrict you to using the same weapon you're going to unlock. (Ganondorf's probably doesn't either, now that he has two weapons.) So in addition to the 8-Bit Wooden Sword after the first patch, you can also use the Master Sword for that level. (At least, I think that was the intention.)

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Nidoking posted:

Wow, I didn't even know there was an update. Cheers.

I also didn't know Ghirahim's targeting had all those effects - I only knew about the single kunai he can throw by hitting the strong attack again. He might actually be a decent character now, although I still hate the way his normal combo swings the camera behind him when he does that teleporting attack. The real reason the Magical Sword is probably most people's first level three weapon is that it's the only one that doesn't restrict you to using the same weapon you're going to unlock. (Ganondorf's probably doesn't either, now that he has two weapons.) So in addition to the 8-Bit Wooden Sword after the first patch, you can also use the Master Sword for that level. (At least, I think that was the intention.)

Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't have just restricted players to either Sword and Master Sword, since the reason they even allow you to pick any weapon on that mission is because Link has two similar weapons. Laziness I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Carlioo posted:

Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't have just restricted players to either Sword and Master Sword, since the reason they even allow you to pick any weapon on that mission is because Link has two similar weapons. Laziness I guess?

Is there a mechanism for that? I know there are levels where you have a choice of two characters, but I don't think there are any where you have a choice of two weapons for one character.

• Locked thread