Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Nidoking posted:

Is there a mechanism for that? I know there are levels where you have a choice of two characters, but I don't think there are any where you have a choice of two weapons for one character.

Well, no, but it's kinda weird that they don't have lock against it. I suppose this is the only time where there's a character with two similar weapons and they want to give you the opportunity to use both, but don't block the use of, say, a really good lvl3 gauntlets. Then again, this mission is easy anyway, so I guess it doesn't actually matter for a single mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
In regards to Agitha, I always figured that Hyrule Warriors has about as much relation to the history of Hyrule as Dynasty Warriors does to the history of China. Which is to say, a fair bit but all filtered through hundreds of years of the telephone game and then written down by some people who were more concerned about making things look good than about historical accuracy. Presumably some Hylian dug up a historical reference to one 'Agitha, princess of the insect kingdom' who lived in Hyrule around the Era of Twilight and historians went nuts trying to establish proper de jure boundaries for her kingdom (which never existed in the first place, of course).

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 15: Let's Go to a Cucco Festival!

This video has a high increase in cuccos and I'm not very happy about it. Also no videos next week since life was kinda in the way of me recording anything.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I used to dislike playing as Girahim and Zant equally. I have since gotten a handle on Zant and enjoy playing as him. Girahim I have yet to get a proper handle on. Also, I recall they had to patch Zant's weak point smash at one point, because I remember it sucking. They also had to buff Lana's special attack in a patch to make it do more damage or something.

New DLC dropped last week and I still haven't tried it...

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 16: Ignore the Cucco

Any mission where I can ignore the gimmick is a good mission.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 16, 2016

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
It, uh, seems to be suddenly cut off at the end, you were in the middle of saying "you'll have to backtrack".

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

It, uh, seems to be suddenly cut off at the end, you were in the middle of saying "you'll have to backtrack".

This is what I get for not doublechecking the video!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
No wonder it took me so long to get Ruto's third weapon! I let the chickens have any keeps outside the Water Temple, but I fought them whenever they appeared inside because the defenses on your base are terrible and I didn't think my troops could handle Cuccos. At least you get so many enemies swarming your base and Fi at the start of the mission that you don't need to do much else.

Keep Saboteurs are in the DLC for the Wii U version, specifically one of the Termina Map battle types. The Termina map focuses on using the red army as a prop for blue vs. yellow battles, and in the keep-claiming contest missions, the yellow army has Keep Saboteurs that effectively work like stronger Raid Captains, moving from keep to keep and capturing them all. There's also usually a Rally Captain that will power them up, and a defeated Keep Saboteur will respawn pretty quickly. I think Legends just shuffles around a lot of challenges to make those appear earlier.

You're using my favorite Midna tactic, but I've discovered that in high-level missions, you really need to cancel the combo early, or you'll get hit every time. The final thrown wolf really isn't worth the risk. Y-Y-X-X-B repeats well enough to get most jobs done.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Alright, video is fixed now, thanks for pointing it out Stephen!

Nidoking posted:

You're using my favorite Midna tactic, but I've discovered that in high-level missions, you really need to cancel the combo early, or you'll get hit every time. The final thrown wolf really isn't worth the risk. Y-Y-X-X-B repeats well enough to get most jobs done.

Yeah, absolutely. The good thing about the full combo is that it knocks enemies away and I think that's the part of the combo that does the most damage, but I just got to dodge cancel more combos in general.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 17: We're All Idols Now

If you can't tell, I don't like the Summoning Gate all that much. Not my least favorite weapon at least!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The summoning gate was great back when there was that glitch that let anyone who had multiple weapons use other people with multiple weapons' weapons, meaning Link, Impa, and Zelda could also use it. Unrelated, it was quite fun to watch Zelda kill dudes with the Master Sword.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The real secret to that Summoning Gate mission is to use a top-tier Book of Sorcery instead. Just like Zelda's tier-two Wind Waker mission, the triple attack power of a top-tier weapon more than makes up for the lack of elemental advantage. Once you've done that, it's a pretty simple sequence:

- Defeat the Stalmaster in the central keep to make things easier later, along with a couple of Lizalfos coming from that direction
- Go defeat the marked Icy Big Poe, rescuing the Goron Captain if you're fast enough.
- Hang out in the Allied Base until all of the captains converging on it are dead - there's a lot of slowdown here, so watch your dodge timing
- Go kill the marked Stalmaster near the yellow base
- Icy Big Poe will now leave the red base and head to the Allied Base - you can safely ignore the fairy entirely and kill it there
- Cia will march to the yellow base - go with her and keep her alive while defeating the final Stalmaster, taking any lost keeps along the way to guard your base from assault
- Dread the tier-three Summoning Gate mission, where you will have to use the Summoning Gate

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Nidoking posted:

Mission strategy.

Makes sense. Book of Sorcery also in general easier to use. Of course, by this video I still hadn't unlocked the lvl. 3 Book of Sorcery, since that mission is placed at the top of the Adventure Map for some drat reason. :psyduck: But that's my own fault for not realising where it was placed fast enough.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 18: Great Failure

I feel like I've used too many bad weapons lately.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
For breaking meters, the great fairy's light combo is pretty good with the slaps at the end. For safely building special meter, using the dash in the chain of light attacks to close the distance and then the vortex and launch fountain is great, was pretty much unsurpassed until Young Link was added. You can dash away at the end before anything that was in it can land and be a threat or anything outside of it can get in and be a threat. Once you get full special meter, using the damage boost at the cost of defense and then dropping three moons can pretty much kill everything in the area, leaving you not in peril as much until the buff/debuff wears off.

The series of comics by setz comic mentioned are great and can be found at http://setzeri.tumblr.com/tagged/hyrule+warriors/page/2

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The level two Great Fairy is another weapon that's much easier to get using a high-tier weapon, and Link has plenty to choose from. There's a lot of running back and forth in that mission, so the speed is vital. Using an appropriately strong sword, it's a pretty trivial mission. Darunia's rank three hammer, on the other hand, was one of the last ones I managed to get. I think I went with a strategy very similar to yours - essentially, the Northwest and Southwest magic keeps are vital roadblocks that slow down the enemies swarming your base while you take care of the actual mission. If you can capture all of the southern keeps, the rest pretty much handles itself, aside from Link being way too strong compared to your attack power. As for that aggressive Stalmaster, enemies like that turn up in many missions. There's a message telling you that the enemy is preparing to storm the Allied Base - basically, they're just an ordinary high-morale captain that appears in a keep, but if you don't defeat them quickly enough, they'll teleport to your base through any protections you may have. There's one in an upcoming mission that does that, then marches back out of the keep and goes after your commander, but for the most part, you either spend the time to defeat them or spend the time defending the base from them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Holy carp, the weak-point smash animation for the Trident. :stare: I'd never seen it before! Guess I never got around to using it on the Wii U version, and the Legends version doesn't have those flashy animations. Seriously, like wow.

Great Fairy is... OK. She's funny, at least. I don't think she actually runs slower than anybody else. It's just that because she's so big, she seems slower compared to everyone else. If you look at the speed the ground moves beneath her, you can tell you're actually going at normal speed.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think the Great Fairy's speed problem is less in terms of movement speed and more that any meaningful attack makes her stop dead in her tracks for way too long, and it takes forever to kill anything because you can't focus your attacks effectively. Both of the upgrade missions for it that I've played so far (I still haven't unlocked the level to get the 8-bit version of it on the Termina map) involve a lot of running from place to place, and you have to plot a course very carefully to make sure that you'll be in the right places at the right times.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

It also doesn't help that she's the biggest character in the game, but still need to have the same speed as everyone else because of balancing. Slow attacks doesn't help either though! TBH, the successful take was actually only my second try, but I'm still not looking forward to the lvl. 3 mission

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Incidentally the concept of "fight the chosen ones" is kinda metal. "gently caress you, blessed by the gods assholes! I'm gonna save the world myself!"

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 19: Cucco Whisperer

At least I don't need to use the summoning gate again :confuoot:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The summoning gate may not be a great weapon, but it has the best victory scene.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The Gold Cucco is never a threat to your A-rank because it doesn't take over a keep until well after the 15-minute mark, and before that, it will only attack you if you make a point of trying to kill it. Maybe if you happen to be trying to take the keep it's in, but that's pretty rare. It doesn't attack the keep it's eating at, and you're actively discouraged from trying to kill it because unless you catch it before it gets to a keep, it'll regenerate all its health before you can finish the job and you'll just have to start again. Ignoring it is always the right answer.

My strategy for the rank three Gate is mainly to start by taking out the Lizalfos accompanying Ghirahim. Sheik can handle Ghirahim alone after that. Then it's just a matter of being able to deal with large groups of enemies. You can wait until Impa jumps off the cliff near the Cliffside Keep to fight her, so you don't have to go the long way around. There's plenty to do if you get there too soon, and the Allied Base can always use some extra defense. It's not a great strategy, but this was also one of the last weapons I managed to unlock. Probably sixth to last.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Video is still processing, but here it is for now!

Adventure Mode 20: Souls of True Evil

Ghirahim really is the worst jojo

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Not much left to go of the Adventure map! Are you guys not going into the DLC maps that much?

(Wouldn't blame you in the least if you didn't. That's a lot to go through!)

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 21: Baddest Man Alive

Silver Falcon posted:

Not much left to go of the Adventure map! Are you guys not going into the DLC maps that much?

(Wouldn't blame you in the least if you didn't. That's a lot to go through!)

Probably not. Definitely gonna show off all the different missions in the maps and probably the original rewards map, as well as all the characters, but I don't have the time or energy to show off more than that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I've been working on the Wii U version in case there's anything you want shown that you don't have. I've got all of the costumes from Adventure Mode, finally, and one of the Challenge Mode ones, but I'm still short two 8-bit weapons (the Great Fairy and the Summoning Gate, naturally), one Gold Skulltula from the Twilight map, and about seven from the Termina map.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Also, strategy-wise: My strategy for the Agitha mission was not to head east at the start of the mission and run into six Dinolfos. My hat's off to you for managing that, but I started by going west and dealing with Ganondorf first, then trying to take over some keeps until the Dinolfos split into smaller groups and taking them out in pairs. Unfortunately, getting lucky with where the Manhandla Stalks spawn is essential, but that's just a matter of replaying the missions until they play friendly. On that note, I don't think you'll get all of the Manhandla Stalks in that last mission to spawn in one keep because the first set of three spawn right at the start. If you take over all but one keep before completing the mission, the remaining three will have to spawn there, but I think that's the best you can do. There are other missions where the spawns might come later in the timeline, though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bow Wow is the best weapon.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Silver Falcon posted:

Bow Wow is the best weapon.

Bow Wow is not a weapon he is your friend. He is also the best friend.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Nidoking posted:

I've been working on the Wii U version in case there's anything you want shown that you don't have. I've got all of the costumes from Adventure Mode, finally, and one of the Challenge Mode ones, but I'm still short two 8-bit weapons (the Great Fairy and the Summoning Gate, naturally), one Gold Skulltula from the Twilight map, and about seven from the Termina map.

I'm gonna show off bits from the other maps (basically the different variants in missions) and bits from Challenge Mode, so if you wanna show off the costumes and the 8-bit weapons, go ahead!

Senerio posted:

Bow Wow is not a weapon he is your friend. He is also the best friend.

Really, the worst part about the 3DS version is that we're playing dress-up with the fairies and not with any chain-chomps. They clearly like accessories!

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 22: The Cowardly Army

Well, at least Zant is having fun.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hey, I bought a Wii U on launch day. No regrets. :colbert:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Those were some weird enemy movements in the Zant level, although most of them made sense. In my experience, most of the enemies tend to target Ganondorf, with the Manhandla Stalks as the only actual threat to the base. After taking out the first marked Fiery Aeralfos, I would head to the east if there was a stalk there, then go to the west side of the map and wait for everything to come to me - if you can keep Sheik away from Ganondorf, that's ideal, but with lots of captains gathered in one place, you can either clean up pretty quickly or take so much damage that it's time to reset the mission. I found that leaving Fi for last worked well, because by the time she captures the East Goron Keep and gets to a place where she can be remotely threatening, she's half-dead and easy to take out without leaving Ganondorf in the lurch for too long. The Fiery Aeralfos that appears in the West Goron Keep is one of the ones that has high morale, hangs around for a while in its origin keep, then teleports to the Allied Base. However, in this particular mission, it then immediately leaves the base and heads off to fight Ganondorf. Again, the base is in no danger unless you leave the Manhandla Stalks for too long. As soon as it looks like Ganondorf will survive fighting whatever's left, make a beeline for the enemy base and deal with Ghirahim, because he's going to take forever to fight and you need to beat him before fifteen minutes are up or Ganondorf dies. It's one of the few times when Vs. Skyward is probably going to be a good choice.

The mission where Zelda has a heart is much easier when you have the Dominion Rod, although it was pretty clearly meant to be beaten without it. I capture the eastmost keep first, to keep a bit of pressure off Cia, then just try to control the east half of the map as much as possible, running to the Allied Base as needed. This may not be the best strategy, but if you concentrate too hard on one or the other, it's really hard to protect both.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 23: End of an Adventure

I can take solace in that I've finally got one map done at least.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Carlioo posted:

Adventure Mode 23: End of an Adventure

I can take solace in that I've finally got one map done at least.

Huzzah, all your starting characters (aka non-DLC characters) are now fully equipped.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I wouldn't say tortoises are forest creatures. They usually live in deserts. Also, tortoises live on land, terrapins live in fresh water, and turtles live in the ocean.

Or, ya know, just call them all turtles, because the only ones who would correct you would call them all Chelonians, their scientific term.

The bee motif is odd for a "forest" fairy, I agree. A better choice would have been maybe a squirrel? Or a deer? A bear, maybe? If they had to go with a creepy-crawly of some kind, uh... mosquito? Dragonfly? Spider?

Anyway, 'grats on being done with the Adventure map! Now you can unlock the Master Sword! :D

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Great Fairy=Queen Bee, I guess.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Bloodly posted:

Great Fairy=Queen Bee, I guess.

Link To The Past has that fancy Golden Bee you can only find by ramming into a Great Fairy statue, and bees show up a lot in the woods in Skyward Sword and I think Twilight Princess? Actually now that I think about it there are a lot of bees in Zelda games. Beeees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

My strategies for these final few levels:

Glorious Baton: The West Boulder Keep falls before the Bombchu even explodes, so just let it happen. The moment you complete the mission (control the three marked keeps after three Bombchus have exploded), a bunch of Icy Big Poes and a Bombchu will converge on your base, so leave the West Boulder Keep in enemy hands and clean up a bit of the map beforehand.

1000 kills: No particular strategy on my part, but I managed to do it with the Spinner on this map and Cia on the Master Quest map. The nice part is that Agitha gets a full Heart Container just for beating the mission at all. I just try to get to the biggest concentration of enemies that are far away from the Imprisoneds and use all the Special and Magic I can.

Great Loftwing Fairy: I ran a very strict path through the mission that got me to where I needed to be at the appropriate times. I'd start by heading north and fighting Ghirahim, then capturing the Mountain Keep. Two Fortifier Captains appear at this point in the northeast corner and start marching either west toward the North Field Keep or south toward the East Field Keep. Defeat any that cross the bridge and ignore the rest - that keep is irrelevant to the mission. Next, capture the North Field Keep. The two Siege Captains appear in the same spot and both head across the bridge, since that's where both of the keeps you've captured are. They're pretty easy to beat. Next, I'd capture the Central Field Keep, during which time Lana would get to Trouble status. With that done, I'd cross the field to rescue her right around the time she gets to Danger status. If it's all done right, you don't have to wait to heal her, and you also don't need to fight Zant, which is a giant time sink - as long as Lana's alive, she'll keep the main force away from your base. Finally, I'd take the Castle Keep and go after Cia, which is really the hardest part of the mission. I was fortunate that my strongest Great Forest Fairy had Bombs+, so I'd do the wide area attacks in the Great Fairy Fountain to build up my Special meter, throw that at Cia whenever she showed her weak point, and hurl bombs liberally whenever they powered up. Somehow, that got me through in time.

Master Sword: I streamed a playthrough of Free Mode one day and fortunately hit the mark right before I would have had to play as Link helping Ganondorf conquer Hyrule. That would have been weird.

• Locked thread