Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
So like many yosposters, I'm in the six figure club. It's a pretty nice place to be and all, but what I'm wondering is what is next. Is there another sunrise over the horizon? I'm talking of course, about the seventh "figgy", in the parlance of our forum. What I'd like to know is, is it possible to grasp this elusive item in a predictable fashion? Is it even real? Please use this thread to discuss tips, tricks, and stories of how you obtained or are planning to obtain this legendary notch on your belt. I think we can all help each other find true peace.

Although I'm not in this club myself, I figure I'll share my list of things that don't work to save y'all some time:
1. lottery tickets (powerball, megamillions, startup equity)
2. day trading - lets just say that you need millions to make millions here

Jeffnote: once I heard a legend that she who obtains the seventh figgy will unite the forums and bring us forward into a new age of mankind, but I'm pretty sure it was RMS who said it, so I don't think it holds much water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pity bump

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the bfc survey results suggest the seventh figure already lurks among us

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/143WjcLfLdCy4HdvOPebDJrpWPcs1LY61HX6l1uivqZ8/edit?pref=2&pli=1

if those pinheads are making $900k there's surely some yosposters in the six zero zone

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the bfc survey results suggest the seventh figure already lurks among us

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/143WjcLfLdCy4HdvOPebDJrpWPcs1LY61HX6l1uivqZ8/edit?pref=2&pli=1

if those pinheads are making $900k there's surely some yosposters in the six zero zone
Income 920000, net worth -13k? I guess making a typo is one way to get to 7 figgies but it's not the path I'll be taking.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the seventh figure is real, but it can't be made with salary. for a computer toucher like your typical yosposter, stock options are your best bet. your company's shares aren't going to get you a consistent 7 figgies until the director level and assuming high growth, which basically no one has nowadays. ideally you're an early employee at a startup that gets purchased by Facebook and they trade your worthless shares for their stock that is worth real money. then you spend the next four years doing the minimum not to get fired while you liquidate your stock.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Management posted:

the seventh figure is real, but it can't be made with salary. for a computer toucher like your typical yosposter, stock options are your best bet. your company's shares aren't going to get you a consistent 7 figgies until the director level and assuming high growth, which basically no one has nowadays. ideally you're an early employee at a startup that gets purchased by Facebook and they trade your worthless shares for their stock that is worth real money. then you spend the next four years doing the minimum not to get fired while you liquidate your stock.
Yeah those are lottery tickets though. If you can actually predict which startups are gonna get bought by google/facebook/etc, you should work for a VC fund and do it repeatedly instead working for a random one. I know better than to think I can guess.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sorry, I didn't mean to imply any of you CJs have a chance of ever seeing seven figures, just that it was theoretically possible if you got lucky despite yourself

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
if i earned seven figgies i'd spend six of them and store the last figgy in the bank for a rainy day

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

suffix posted:

if i earned seven figgies i'd spend six of them and store the last figgy in the bank for a rainy day

choosing the correct figgy to save is the key part here - I think you're on the right track

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
it's nice.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

is it true that your username was the punishment for losing a game of street fighter? that might be my favorite Forums Story

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
i thought the cents didn't count?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

GameCube posted:

is it true that your username was the punishment for losing a game of street fighter? that might be my favorite Forums Story

uhh no he's a yospos regular

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pram posted:

uhh no he's a yospos regular

sorry i forgot the out-of-character tag

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

GameCube posted:

It's true.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
suck your boss off

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

move to japan

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GameCube posted:

It was ten games, I lost ten games. I got the last laugh though since the other guy is permabanned.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It was ten games, I lost ten games. I got the last laugh though since the other guy is permabanned.

epic...

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
7 figure salaries don't exist

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmao

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Would you like a chance to redeem yourself and earn a new name?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Valeyard posted:

Would you like a chance to redeem yourself and earn a new name?
Nah, it's part of my brand now. I'd have to stop using this sweet sig that some lurker made me. I've come to terms with being of YOSPOS. Still, enough about me, this thread is for lifting all of YOSPOS up.

Speaking of, I have an idea - runaway inflation. If we can set policy effectively, we'll be millionaires in no time! Sure, there's a pretty long time scale here - I don't think we're gonna find any get rich quick schemes.

Thanks gibb3h!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
right lads heres the plan

myself, and some other choice posters, will get together to start a phantom colocated silicon valley tech startup

what is our app/tech/idea? exactly, keep them guessing. we build up hype to the point where nobody knows what they are hyped about, and then we get some investors

we then tell the investors that we will use their investments to build up additional hype, to spur on MORE investors, increasing their returns

we just trickle this all the way down until someone pays 20 bill for the company

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
worked for twitter

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every 2 weeks we will get tigether in my garage and have a weekend Hackathon where we prototype ideas that have potential for VC money

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Let's become patent trolls and go after Apple while they're in that losing streak

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

6.5 is more figgies than anyone will ever need

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Clockwerk posted:

If you don't collect all the figgies how are you going to get into Gruntilda's lair?

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Speaking of, I have an idea - runaway inflation. If we can set policy effectively, we'll be millionaires in no time! Sure, there's a pretty long time scale here - I don't think we're gonna find any get rich quick schemes.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
if I'm doing the mathematics here correctly, 7 figgies is 200k, right?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

qntm posted:

100 k is 6 figgies, 200k is twice the amount of figgies so 12??

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qntm posted:

checks out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Clockwerk posted:

6.40 is more figgies than anyone will ever need

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SMH if these fraction figgies aren't being done on a log scale.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Clockwerk posted:

no one will ever need more than $640k.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

kwinkles posted:

no one will ever need more than $640k.
No! 10^(<figgies=6.5> - 1) is 316k. How can you post in the POS without knowing the basics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
fart

• Locked thread