Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Out there in the Atlantic Ocean a storm rages eternally on; a tempestuous maelstrom that hides a story lost in time and it's a story that we're going to be delving into for this let's play.

From Software has quite a diverse catalog of games that they've managed to produce over the years; Demon Souls, Metal Wolf Chaos, King's Field, Armored Core. Today however we're going to be taking a look at one of their lesser known franchises, Echo Night. Now Echo Night is a first person adventure mystery game that leaves the player exploring a remote location in the hopes of unraveling the mystery surrounding said place while dealing with the locale's current denizens (usually of a ghostly nature) via a means of placating the spirits rather than just out and out combat. For the first installment of the series the player takes control of Richard Osmond, a man who has recently received a letter from his estranged father requesting an audience with his son and all this just snowballs into a series of events that will lead Richard into not only learning about his father's sordid past but also the disappearance of 45 people aboard the cruise ship, Orpheus.

Now the Echo Night games are known for a couple of key things; first they always have an amazingly rocking soundtrack (especially this game) and secondly they are known for an engaging story, so I please ask that we keep a to no spoiler policy.

Bonus Videos
Let's Play Echo Night- Bonus: Gambler's Den
Let's Play Echo Night- Bonus 2: Japanese voice acting
Let's Play Echo Night- Bonus 3: Game Over

Leather Organizer
Update 1: Marvin Foremast, Frank Keelson, Henry Osmond, William Rockwell, Crea Rockwell
Update 2: Greg Capstan, John Cutter(past), Christina Ratline, Billy Bollard(past), Medium
Update 3: Peter Schooner, Rob Derick, Fiona Parcelling, Diana Parcelling, Ed Mooring, Oscar Rockwell, Jimmy Tender
Update 4: Thomas Gusset(past), Karen Moulding, Scott Garboard, Fred Moulding, Poly Owning, Elizabeth Crownest, Tom Rudder
Update 5: Arthur Rockwell, Hilda Rockwell, Pole & Paddle, Andrew Galleywood, Allen Rockwell, Ellie Scuttle, Carlos Recess, William Rockwell
Update 6: Bell Loran, Carter Batten, Howard Boss, Ernest Ullage, Henry Osmond
Update 7: Mike Transom, Charlie Girder, Robert Danforth, Martin Backstaff, Crea Rockwell
Update 8: Emilia Rockwell, Jack Rockwell, William Rockwell, David Berthing, Harry Gunwale

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Man, I love this game's soundtrack so much. It's crazy good.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I really love this series. I'm still holding out hope that From will use some of that souls money to continue either this, the shadow tower or the king's field series. Come on From, plz plz plz plz.

There is a Shadow Tower Abyss LP going on right now too. All my praise to tireless non-official translators. So many great games I never would have played because I am too lazy to learn Japanese.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

I really love this series. I'm still holding out hope that From will use some of that souls money to continue either this, the shadow tower or the king's field series. Come on From, plz plz plz plz.

There is a Shadow Tower Abyss LP going on right now too. All my praise to tireless non-official translators. So many great games I never would have played because I am too lazy to learn Japanese.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy that at least a part of the King's Field series is getting an LP and I'm also pretty excited for the fact that I guess Echo Night 2 somewhat recently got a fan translation as well, which I'm hoping to do after I finish this one up.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I'm absolutely charmed by 32-bit pixelated horror (Niggurath's previous Clocktower LP attested to that), but I really, honest to god can't deal with these horrific blocky early PS1-era graphics.

But it's a Niggurath LP, so who am I kidding, I'm gonna watch it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

placid saviour posted:

I'm absolutely charmed by 32-bit pixelated horror (Niggurath's previous Clocktower LP attested to that), but I really, honest to god can't deal with these horrific blocky early PS1-era graphics.

But it's a Niggurath LP, so who am I kidding, I'm gonna watch it.
While the graphics are pretty rough, I think the sound work and story really make up for it. Even the simple ambient noises like the train pulling out of the station just seem higher quality than most PS1 games and the voice work is also top notch (which we'll see more of later, but the distressed ghosts actually sound like distressed ghosts).

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I hope the rest of the LP is just waiting for the ghost captain to let us out, like in some Beginner's Guide-styled narrative.

I've seen random bits of this game during a stream, but never the entire thing. I hope From Software returns to these strange games someday after they're done with Dark Souls. They had some clunky, but interesting ideas.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Hey, this started. I liked the train vignette as a setup, but presumably we are on the Orpheus for the rest of the game.

Niggurath posted:

While the graphics are pretty rough, I think the sound work and story really make up for it. Even the simple ambient noises like the train pulling out of the station just seem higher quality than most PS1 games and the voice work is also top notch (which we'll see more of later, but the distressed ghosts actually sound like distressed ghosts).

Honestly, outside of the burned out house, I think it looks pretty good. I mean it's still a PS1 game but it looks pretty clean & "readable".
I was a bit surprised by the voice acting though, since neither the police nor the train people had voices.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hel posted:

Hey, this started. I liked the train vignette as a setup, but presumably we are on the Orpheus for the rest of the game.

Honestly, outside of the burned out house, I think it looks pretty good. I mean it's still a PS1 game but it looks pretty clean & "readable".
I was a bit surprised by the voice acting though, since neither the police nor the train people had voices.
Hmmm, there might be a few other places that we'll visit while we journey around the Orpheus; we've already seen that the game seems to like teleporting us very suddenly to new and bizarre locations, so I doubt that will stop.

And yeah, as far as I know only very particular people have spoken lines but that's usually because they are saying something super important. So it's not super random like Sword of Etheria thankfully.

RealSovietBear posted:

I hope the rest of the LP is just waiting for the ghost captain to let us out, like in some Beginner's Guide-styled narrative.

I've seen random bits of this game during a stream, but never the entire thing. I hope From Software returns to these strange games someday after they're done with Dark Souls. They had some clunky, but interesting ideas.
Well I'll probably give that ol' ghost captain till Friday before I decide to start exploring again...sadly I don't get a feeling he's coming back. I doubt though that From will ever return to these types of games, they just really were never money makers which is a bit sad.

Also something I was wondering about, but do you guys think there might be some deeper meaning with the ship's name being Orpheus. Maybe because it's more focused on the musical and literary side of the ancient Greek's life, with his ability to get his fellow Argonauts from being drawn to the Sirens? Or maybe it has a more nihilistic side regarding his doomed tripped to the Underworld to save Eurydice...which turn will this journey take?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 8, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm thinking doomed rescue mission, myself. Something makes me think that ol' Dad is either going to try and save the old man from himself or the girl from the old man, and (maybe not entirely but still technically) fail.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 9, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, that "Stay in the room" part really reminded me of the start from Far Cry 4. Wonder if there's also a secret ending here for staying in it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Round and round. Love will find a way, just give it time. -Ratt

Also since we now have an easy means to keep track of all the people we run into on our journey, I'll be adding screenshots with each update for the ones that get added to the leather organizer. It's also going to be located in the OP.

Leather Organizer
Update 1: Marvin Foremast, Frank Keelson, Henry Osmond, William Rockwell, Crea Rockwell
Update 2: Greg Capstan, John Cutter(past), Christina Ratline, Billy Bollard(past), Medium

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, that "Stay in the room" part really reminded me of the start from Far Cry 4. Wonder if there's also a secret ending here for staying in it.
You and your lofty goals of never leaving a room, but alas, that is not to be on our adventure (though I will reveal a little secret and that's the fact that we have up to four possible endings in the game ;), and I know you're excited to see them all).

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 11, 2016

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Hel posted:

Yeah, to its credit it doesn't have the typical swimming textures that plague so many 3d psx games.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What a trustworthy and honest looking man, with a lovely laugh. I don't see anything that could possibly go wrong in giving him pieces of peoples spirits at all!

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

What a trustworthy and honest looking man, with a lovely laugh. I don't see anything that could possibly go wrong in giving him pieces of peoples spirits at all!

It's more like spirit poop.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Even if he's not very trustworthy, he's offering us a relatively large source of healing items which it currently seems the game isn't giving us in bountiful amounts. And the remnants of a dead man's soul seems of little consequence to keep us alive, a worth sacrifice indeed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

coleman francis posted:

It's more like spirit poop.
Now imagine him doing his "Heh heh heh" laugh while rolling them. Rolling poop of the spirits. Classy.

I wonder though, if they already have snow they must be either far in the north heading south or already very far to the south. Or maybe it just runs on ghost logic.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Leather Organizer
Peter Schooner, Rob Derick, Fiona Parcelling, Diana Parcelling, Ed Mooring, Oscar Rockwell, Jimmy Tender

Here's a topical semaphore joke, see if you can decipher the secret coded message:

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 25, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Richard, this is a sneaking mission, heh heh heh.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I really love the vignettes and am really glad they continue.
I was expecting the semaphore coins puzzle to be a lot more survival horror bullshit, but was pleasantly surprised.
This game has a lot of charm even with a lack of body the first person camera moments are really well done, with stuff like entering the mine carts and sitting in the rocking chair being really cool.

I noticed you lost your ESPer rating, do you know how the rating works? Is is just reduced by hints?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Richard, this is a sneaking mission, heh heh heh.
I told you over Skype that joke was dumb and yet you continue to shine on you crazy diamond.

Hel posted:

I really love the vignettes and am really glad they continue.
I was expecting the semaphore coins puzzle to be a lot more survival horror bullshit, but was pleasantly surprised.
This game has a lot of charm even with a lack of body the first person camera moments are really well done, with stuff like entering the mine carts and sitting in the rocking chair being really cool.

I noticed you lost your ESPer rating, do you know how the rating works? Is is just reduced by hints?
It just goes to show that for the most part From Software have always made super unique and interesting games; it's always kind of a shame that this series never picked up with people. Even more so since someone on a youtube comment said the game kinda felt like Nanashi no Game and that really made me think that this format/style of game could really work out well on a mobile platform.

And yeah, the whole rating thing is a bit of a mystery but I think it has to do with the speed you solve puzzles and if you go initiate hints. So if you just mix the drink without talking to Rob or looking at the painting, and maybe solve the mirror room without going to trigger the poo ghost. I don't think it affects anything really.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Leather Organizer:
Thomas Gusset(past), Karen Moulding, Scott Garboard, Fred Moulding, Poly Owning, Elizabeth Crownest, Tom Rudder

Thrills, chills, laughs, and tears. This game just has it all...including gambling.

Let's Play Echo Night- Bonus: Gambler's Den

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I really like the voice acting in echo night. It is of special quality when you take into account other voice acting done in PSX games.

Also the lumber gag is timeless.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

coleman francis posted:

I actually laughed at the second part of it. Somehow didn't see it coming.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

I really like the voice acting in echo night. It is of special quality when you take into account other voice acting done in PSX games.

The voice acting choices and status is even more impressive when you consider that most of From Software's library at this point had little to no voice acting. Actually, if anyone would be interested, I could record a little of the Japanese version to let you guys see what the Japanese voice acting quality was like.

Also for those interested in an upcoming game with a similar PS1 aesthetic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOYoj-a4UI4 (which apparently comes out sometime next week, and between that and Nightcry...well I'm pretty excited for the upcoming week in horror games)

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Niggurath posted:

Also for those interested in an upcoming game with a similar PS1 aesthetic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOYoj-a4UI4 (which apparently comes out sometime next week, and between that and Nightcry...well I'm pretty excited for the upcoming week in horror games)

Oh man that is the good poo poo. I am sad I had not heard of this but am also glad that I have now having been heard of this.

And sure, i've never listened to any of the JP voive acting.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

Oh man that is the good poo poo. I am sad I had not heard of this but am also glad that I have now having been heard of this.

And sure, i've never listened to any of the JP voive acting.

Let's Play Echo Night- Bonus 2: Japanese voice acting

Just for you, Coleman, my man.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Awesome, thanks!

The voices are crisp and clear, they did a really good job.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Leather Organizer:
Arthur Rockwell, Hilda Rockwell, Pole & Paddle, Andrew Galleywood, Allen Rockwell, Ellie Scuttle, Carlos Recess, William Rockwell

As we reach the halfway point of the game, it's finally time we learned a little bit about these Rockwell's.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm guessing that the hostile spirit on the ship is the woman whose body you found when William tried to murder you in a corner.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
The part where William stalks you thru the tunnels freaked the poo poo out of me when I first played it. Man I flubbed that section many many times.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

The part where William stalks you thru the tunnels freaked the poo poo out of me when I first played it. Man I flubbed that section many many times.
It is generally a super spooky and probably the most tense moment in the game...so far. I can understand messing it up as well because the game controls aren't really set up for quick or timed movements. But it definitely reminds me at some point I'll need to show off the game over because that is pretty interesting.

Shei-kun posted:

I'm guessing that the hostile spirit on the ship is the woman whose body you found when William tried to murder you in a corner.
There is a very good chance of that and I'm fairly certain we'll be able to deal with that in the next video. I guess the question remains, what do you think will be our hindrance after that?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Niggurath posted:

There is a very good chance of that and I'm fairly certain we'll be able to deal with that in the next video. I guess the question remains, what do you think will be our hindrance after that?
I am morbidly hoping it's a puppy spirit.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Leather Organizer:
Update 6: Bell Loran, Carter Batten, Howard Boss, Ernest Ullage, Henry Osmond

Under the crimson moon one man lost his life, while we gain the knowledge about these mysterious stones. Also a different kind of ghost pops up in the lower portions of the ship.

Shei-kun posted:

I am morbidly hoping it's a puppy spirit.
If Descartes taught me anything, it was that animals don't have souls and are just empty vessels around for human usage. Or maybe this is my viewpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nVoi735qv8

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Jesus gently caress, the king creeps me the hell out like not even the little girl did.

Like, drat, that is some legit scary poo poo, even for a PS1 game. GAH.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
That libary employee has been on edge ever since his skull collapsed.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
For some reason, any resolution below 720p60 stops loading the latest video at the 3:33 mark for me. It's probably a "YouTube's still processing" thing, though.

I kinda like that the game labeled the Senior Osmond as just the protagonist's Father mid-conversation. Kinda helpful if you're forgetful and forget the plot thus far.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

ElTipejoLoco posted:

For some reason, any resolution below 720p60 stops loading the latest video at the 3:33 mark for me. It's probably a "YouTube's still processing" thing, though.

I kinda like that the game labeled the Senior Osmond as just the protagonist's Father mid-conversation. Kinda helpful if you're forgetful and forget the plot thus far.
Hmmm, I double checked it this morning and it seems to be fine; if it still giving you issues I can try re-uploading it or maybe if other people are having issues.

But yeah, I think it helped either way because we've become a bit overwhelmed with names by this point and even I worry that I might refer to one of the many, many members of the Rockwell family by the incorrect name.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Leather Organizer:
Mike Transom, Charlie Girder, Robert Danforth, Martin Backstaff, Crea Rockwell

Man, I can't explain how much I love the music and the atmosphere of the game. And how it somehow straddles the line fairly well between actually spooky and exceedingly goofy.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Leather Organizer:
Emilia Rockwell, Jack Rockwell, William Rockwell, David Berthing, Harry Gunwale

We get a lovely tour of the more scenic cabins on the ship and also gunfire.

• Locked thread