Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
Problem description:

It all started when I kept getting game crashes during Black Desert Online, (I have an intel CPU and an AMD GPU), BDO support forwards me to a driver hotfix (AMD 16.2.1), I figure, cool. So I download the driver for my GPU. Some point throughout the install my computer crashes, giving me the first BSOD I've experienced with Win 10, and restarts my computer. I run repair tools from boot and my PC is up and running again, however when I run memory diagnostics, it freezes at 30% (I let it run for about 8 hours). Also chkdsk and disk defragmenter do nothing when I attempt to run them, I click buttons, nothing happens. Literally nothing. Also, windows update refuses to update, throwing error codes at me every attempt I make. On to the next system crash minutes later and I'm stuck unable to boot my PC at all aside from BIOS and an error page. (I did not call MS Support, also stupid.)

Attempted fixes:

I've attempted a format and clean reinstall of Win 10, on both my old 1TB HDD and also the 850 Evo SSD through the Windows Setup pro. Both yielding the same results. Unable to format (Error: 0x80070057)
Attempted fix: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2476568
Attempted fix: I also created new partitions and attempted a format from CMD.exe (took around an 1.5hrs), does not specify reason why unable to format.

Recent changes:

A little background, I recently upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7, and then just one week ago cloned my HDD to a new Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD. (I did not make a recovery drive, stupid.)

--

Operating system:

Win 10 64bit

System specs:

MOBO: ASUS P8Z68V
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
GPU: AMD r9 380 (MSI OC edition)
PSU: EVGA 80+Gold 750W G2
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

US

I have Googled and read the FAQ:

Yes

I really have no idea where to go from here, I am hoping my SSD isn't toast for some reason, I just bought it. I should have known I was in too deep for myself, but I was stubborn. I've googled the piss out of this trying to set things straight. Beyond taking the SSD to a local guy to see what's up with it I've got no clue. Please help me SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Sounds like RAM issues, since it won't pass a memory diagnostic.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

What memory diagnostic tool are you using?

Some googling with the error code proposed that it was a dodgy SATA Cable so try changing that around

Error code also showed another issue was the SATA connector on the mobo was dodgy, so use a different SATA port as well to be safe.

Make sure the Mobo SATA controller is set to AHCI mdoe

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
Yessir, I tried new sata cables/ports as well. Forgot to add that to attempted fixes. Mobo is set to ahci.

I'm using the "press f1 to run memory diagnostics" during the OS installation boot screen. I hadn't thought of a RAM issue. I'll look at troubleshooting RAM. See if I can pinpoint the problem.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Badgers posted:

Yessir, I tried new sata cables/ports as well. Forgot to add that to attempted fixes. Mobo is set to ahci.

I'm using the "press f1 to run memory diagnostics" during the OS installation boot screen. I hadn't thought of a RAM issue. I'll look at troubleshooting RAM. See if I can pinpoint the problem.

Run a memtest 86, not sure how good the built one on windows is but if there is an issue memtest 86 will find it.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
Thanks to both of you, snakes, can that run from boot screen off usb? I've never used memtest before.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Badgers posted:

Thanks to both of you, snakes, can that run from boot screen off usb? I've never used memtest before.

Yes, you can boot from USB using memtest.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Badgers posted:

memtest86 come with its own bootable usb maker, make sure to use the smallest usb you have (program only needs like 256mb usb). Program does some odd partitions with the usb so also make sure it's not one you actively use.

Snakes in a can fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 8, 2016

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
Just an update for you guys helping me out, I couldn't get the memory to fail at all. So I took it to a local guy with a good rep as a last ditch effort. He had the pc for a few days and ran through pretty much the same gambit I did, told me he was ready to write it off as toast (??) told me he gets about 1 a year he can't fix. He told me he reseated the RAM one at a time and it was smooth sailing from then on out. I'm pretty happy it was something so simple and feel like I should've tried that myself (d'oh). Any idea why that would fix the issue? Anyways, thanks for the help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Badgers posted:

Any idea why that would fix the issue? Anyways, thanks for the help :)

Sometimes the connection loses full contact somehow. Excessive dust is a possibility that could cause conductive issues.

Sometimes a connection becomes loose. The same thing can happen with other things like video/sound cards/SATA ports. Video issues fixed by reseating a card. Various disappearing drives fixed by simply reseating the SATA cable.

• Locked thread