Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It was in a cave though. She could have set it all up in the darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Using Manna for food is more effecient, but I don't think I ever did because there's a little farm outside of Kirzan that gives you food for a super good price. I always just dumped all my gold into it at the start and got 500 food or something stupid and didn't have to worry about it again for most of the game.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I could only come up with 17 in my head so I looked up the sprite sheets and I'd invented one, forgotten about two and I'm pretty sure I've never seen the last one. It'll be interesting to see where it shows up.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I believe once you get Art's precious you can fly to that island to get a repeating event.

a full party inventory of iron bars, I think

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Charm Foe has one amusing use in this game beyond its obvious application: there's at least one NPC in a town that uses the Evil Priest sprite. Evil Priests are normally hostile. Jeff Vogel forgot to make this one non-hostile. So you'll be exploring an otherwise-friendly town, open up the door to the scribe's shop, and a priest will start throwing Wound and Summon Spirit spells at you.

But if you charm him, you can talk to him anyway! I think he sells identification services.

...I always thought that guy was just... an evil priest that was there for some quest I'd never found. drat.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Main points would be mages created the mushrooms that provide light and food for exile. And there are probably more good mages than evil ones to weigh the scales.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Uh, excuse me, Cure Disease is a holy spell, not magic, you philistine. :v:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The problem is its still working from the assumption that mage spells are evil, with people viewing them as a necessary evil. Yeah, you can accomplish great things without magic, but there isn't any particular reason to. Magic would have made the process vastly easier. If anything they probably risked/lost more lives by refusing to use magic than they would have if they'd had a few mages around to blast the goblin hordes with firestorms.

Using hard work when you could have used easy work isn't a virtue.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
There is that one mage in Exile 2 trapped with a demon he summoned in some isolated building.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Even using low level summons for meat shields can be fairly useful against the last plagues in larger fights. Drop a wall of blades or two on their front line and toss a bunch of generic summons in front of that, toss in a couple demons on the back row with your mages and they'll spend the rest of the fight helping/creating more meat shields while the enemy AI walks back and forth through the blades and attacks the trash mobs instead of your front line that's killing them.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

LuffyVeggies posted:

Apparently, to this day, fans of the series still can't decide whether this "puzzle" is amazing or horrible.

This is the best puzzle. I was super young when I first played this and it stumped me for ages. I was going around and around talking to the spiders to try and figure out what Spider's name was. Eventually my Dad suggested I look at with the other Spiders were named.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

berryjon posted:

Also, I completed the single greatest sidequest in the history of RPGS: The Chess Match.

It really is.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Unless I'm remembering wrongly, you can only get the metal for the ambush quest in two places in the game, and Summon Beast and Conflagration are such a pathetic reward considering how rare/valuable it is. Even if you did that right at the start (I almost always ended up at the Inn of Blades either before or just after the Slimes, but always before the Cockroaches, they're still completely worthless.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
If you don't pay to pass there and try to fight the fight is really difficult for this stage of the game, mainly because of the mentioned spell casters. And it dumps 2-3 fights of them on you. I always did it as early as possible, and the only real way too at that point is to do the long waits after you've killed everyone but before you've exited the fight to restore you health and mana before hitting the next group.

Unrelated to that, up north near Erika's tower, there should be a few fights with a good reward that shouldn't be much trouble at your party level, if I'm remembering correctly. Think its an ogre group, a slith group, and then an undead ogre and slith group for a fancy Slith spear?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
You said there wasn't an Iron Halberd in the cheap iron shop, but the screenshot showed one in the store window.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The Crypt can be pretty tough if you go to Bigail first, especially if you don't figure out about the buttons for a few circles around the place.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I usually start the game off with hitting up the Ice Pudding (and reward) and the silver coin bundle in the stalactite forest because that gets you enough money to buy the boat, which lets you get... well, we'll see when the party gets there. But the Slimes and Cockroaches are even less of a challenge afterwards.

The Ice Pudding can easily kill a starting party just with the ice fields, but you can kite it just as easily until it dies from fireballs and wound.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Just loaded up a fresh party and checked out the pool. I forgot to check more than one person's EXP, but the party lead gained 15 experience, so I suspect everyone did.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I don't have anything particular to say about this last update, but I do want to say I'm absolutely loving how fast we're getting updates.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

berryjon posted:

I have an interview today that's later on. I'll try to push Golddale out this evening, but I can't be certain. You might have to wait until tomorrow.

A whole day??? Noooooooooooooooo.

Is Golddale the area with the Slith who took over a mine and the valley of Ursagi? that was always one of my favorite areas.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Not a drat thing.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Well Golddale was the town I was thinking of, but I never knew that about the NPCs.

Voting for East, because avoiding the main quest is traditional for Art.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Argh, I thought of Rose but was thinking maid as in female servant and couldn't figure out how it fit at all.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a debug code (I want to say it's shift-W) to force-refresh the shop contents, which otherwise refresh once per day. So if you feel like being a cheating cheater who cheats, it's pretty easy to spam refresh the shop until you have Rings and Boots of Speed on everyone. Assuming you have unrealistic amounts of cash, anyway.

Yeah, I found a ring of speed in the Tower of the Magi random shop on my first visit. Unfortunately it cost 6000 gold which was a good 2000 gold more than I had. Instead I bought Magic Chainmail and a Steel Greatsword,and whoops that was supposed to be my training money.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
That random shop roll goddaaaaaaam.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I got the Curse of Vakos the first time I fought him, but that was ages ago. From what I remember, every so often a popup happens where he laughs at you and... diseases your party or does damage to everyone or something? I don't really remember. I only had it trigger once or twice before I got back to the dungeon to finish him off.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I've been playing through slowly on my own, just got through with Bigail, and there is a completely stupid amount of Graymold just laying around.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Isn't there another storage space in Lorelei or was that the one you were talking about?

berryjon posted:

There's no way to trigger this except by looking at that tile while standing next to it. You can't move onto it.

:psyduck:

I'm sure I never knew this existed.

edit: for mage lore, you only need the number of points to be in the entire party, not on one person, so you could just buy a point or two on each person and not use up so many of Matthias' points on it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Never found that second altar either.

Gotta say Haakai feel much more dangerous in Exile 3 than in the earlier games.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
http://www.old-games.com/search/?s=Exile

Bottom of the page.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I'm going to vote for A. Almost entirely because I can't wait to see how Art reacts to the next event.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
When playing, the Giants place is the first dungeon that really stood out to me as being large, probably in part by how much health the enemies all have. But there's a lot of stuff to do there.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

LuffyVeggies posted:

I never realized that a hidden door existed. I always thought it was a cruel inescapable trap that Jeff Vogel wrote up for giggles. Guess I was wrong.

Yup, same with me.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The forge is always fun.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Poor Art :allears:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
You can actually sell stuff to Elspeth in her shop in New Cotra.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I'll vote for B, that'll fill in a whole in our map and finish off that section for awhile.

You get into the room you couldn't access in Erica's tower from outside. I believe you go through a secret passage on the west section of the trash pit. The obvious trap room has some pretty good loot in the chests if I'm remembering correctly and it just spawns 2 black shades and a demon inside the pillars - only a threat if you take the stuff right after beating the slimes. Pretty sure there's a magic gauntlet inside the quickfire square inside the barriers too.

I knew I remembered a slith spear in upper exile.

There's a secret passage on the left side of the lava at the entrance to fort emergence as well.

And now we've seen all 4 steps to getting a huge head up at the start of the game. At creation, get one character to mage 7 and spend 20 points in mage lore over the party. Take all the points out of HP and put a bunch into strength. Then at the start, kill the ice pudding. Go to New Cotra (i think?) and collect the bounty, use that money to buy the boat and sail to the back of gharik (sp) and get major blessing. With that, you can beat all four waves of ogres/slith/undead, and by then you should have several levels which because of all the points in strength will have given you a bunch of hp.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 3, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Don't forget to try out the Wand of Unusual Results! The Results can be quite... unusual.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Parts Kit posted:

You can get past the electrum lock, but I have no idea how you do it legitimately since I used the editor when I was a kid.

I don't think you can. I tried using the editor to give myself the electrum key and it doesn't open her locks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I'm pretty sure you've still missed something in Hawke Embassy, in one of the statues.

• Locked thread