Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

How good is your relationship with Diamond?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

So I want to start this off with asking all of you, what is the best thing your local shop does that makes you keep shopping there? Discount? Product variety? Back issues? Service? Pretty girls that work there? The need for social interaction aside from your parents? (I kid, I kid). And what does your local shop not do that you would like to see?

The place I shop at has a really nice old man running it. He's been there for 30+ years and has a pretty good group of regular customers. He is also friends with a good number of other local and not so local shop owners. I read a fair amount of new books, but I love collecting the old stuff. The sheer number of Golden and Silver Age books he can get a hold of is astounding.

One of the nice things he does is that he'll let you put stuff aside for a long time until you get it paid off. The bad part is that he'll hold on to stuff for a really, really long time. He likes to joke that if everyone would come in and pay off what they owe him he could retire tomorrow. He puts a post-it on the back of the bag saying who wants it, when he put it away and how much they owe. After a year he takes the post-it off and gives his regulars first dibs. He could resell them for full price, but instead you pay off what's left and they're yours. I picked these up for a total of $320.

Thank you random dude who stopped paying for his comics.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I just posted this in the May thread.

quote:

The store I go to had everything half price in addition to Free Comic Book Day. The owner asked me to hang around until it thinned out so he could show me some pricier books. In my time there I saw a lot of dads bring their kids in. I saw a little boy instantly fall in love with '90s Ghost Rider, a pre-teen and his friend pour over a longbox of Daredevils, and a high school girl buy a shitload of Deadpool comics. The only people who took the Strawberry Shortcake free comic were the ones that took one of each.

Unfortunately I also saw an older guy who clearly had a mental disability / severe paranoia make an rear end out of himself. He got one of each that was left, but that somehow wasn't enough. He got angry that we were loving with him because there was no Captain America, no Iron Man, no X-Men, no Superman, no Batman... Sorry, crazy dude, they don't make a free one of everything.

We didn't have a limit. First come, first served. I got Suicide Squad, Civil War, Lady Mechanika, One Punch Man, Rom, Valiant and Archie. I saw a few people grab one of everything.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

KittyEmpress posted:

So this is a sad little post - the comic shop I liked, not the one with alcohol and games more than comics - shut down this week. I don't have a pull list or anything so I didn't even know until I was up near it today shopping, and decided to go check out if I wanted anything, and there was a sign on the door saying it would be closed indefinitely, as of 6/2/16.

:(

The shop I go to is run by a really nice 72 year old. I wish it would stay open forever but I doubt it'll stay open when he calls it quits. :(

Rhyno, what helpful advice would you give to someone who wanted to start their own store?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Comichron is only talking about monthly sales of new comics. I imagine Rhyno's new sales are down just like everyone else's. That's probably why they are branching out to vintage comics and collectibles.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

You can go to MyComicShop.com and search by title and series, but that's just what they're selling them for. That's no guarantee you'll get the same for yours. Your best bet is to look through eBay's sold listings for a realistic expectation.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

pubic works project posted:

I'm a little irritated at my local comic shop. I had Cap America: Steve Rogers on my pulls and I know it's transitioning into just being Captain America again with issue 25. I didn't go get my pulls last week and grabbed them today. No Captain America in there and they're completely sold out. I mean, I would think it's common sense to see that I'm reading one title that is just changing name and numbering and still pull it for me.

I don't blame them for thinking Captain America #25 follows Captain America: Sam Wilson #24 and not Captain America: Steve Rogers #19

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

It'd help if the lenticular covers worked right. I haven't seen one yet that does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Ferrule posted:

I know this is a ways back but aren't most shops closed on Tuesdays for this reason? I mean, it's not mandatory but every shop I've ever been to is usually closed the day before new-book day.

My local shop is closed on Sundays because he needs a day off and Mondays because that's the day he visits other stores and schedules people to bring in their collections.

When I worked nights I'd stop in on Tuesdays at noon and pull my own books as would others. It was always funny to see a Diamond secret shopper pop in on a Tuesday.

• Locked thread