Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Jesus Christ what is in these morons' heads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
drat where is your store at? I want to visit it!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Well I live in Indiana!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Jefferson Point in Fort Wayne if you're ever in town.

I'll mark that down.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I don't own it, I just work here!

Eliminate the owner. Then it shall be yours.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I am old enough to remember when you could buy DC and Marvel comics in supermarkets and drug stores, and my mom would rather buy me a comic than a chocolate bar when we went so at first i just got what looked cool, but eventually I'd realize that X-men or Spider-man or Batman were cool and would focus on them. As I grew older i went to one of the two comic stores that were around, one that was run by a douchey guy and the other run by an old guy who was not happy kids would be in the store. So I never enjoyed going to either one. Then a new store opened that was friendly, the owner was friendly and very much encouraged reading more comics. It was great and that store helped cultivate a love of comics that was there, but just needed to be fanned by someone who was actually pleasant to deal with.

It's amazing how much an owner can effect how a store feels. It does amaze me how many comic stores are run by shutins who don't want to deal with people. Like why start a retail store?

Yup. I remember that, but it was mainly drug stores that my dad bought my new comics at.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Dunbar posted:

I know some comic shop employees post in here, so I'm curious, is there such a thing as a shop/service that will take requests for back issues? For example, if I'm looking for a specific issue or run, is there a way someone could track it down and send to me, and bill me for their costs in buying/shipping? I've mentioned this to my LCS and they've said they're willing to keep an eye out in case the issues come into their shop, but I live in a small town and that really isn't likely. And I don't want to bother getting scammed on eBay or wherever else.

I haven't had any problems buying back issues on eBay. There's a store I use that will sell VF copies of stuff for $1.35 - $2 and if I buy a certain amount, I get free shipping.

http://stores.ebay.com/MyComicShop?_rdc=1

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 26, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Have I mentioned how much Indiana sucks?

Pride Month Walking Dead variants. I caught him as he was unbagging a third copy. I called the police on my phone as I followed him out of the store, they arrived before he could get to his car. They said he could pay for the damage or they'd write him a $200 vandalism ticket. He's also banned from the property for life.

What a loving piece of poo poo.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Hahaha yeah I have a buddy at work who is convinced his comics are worth hundreds (they're like Death of Superman and poo poo like that). I don't have the heart to tell them they're not worth anything.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

That's some good poo poo.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I'm a little irritated at my local comic shop. I had Cap America: Steve Rogers on my pulls and I know it's transitioning into just being Captain America again with issue 25. I didn't go get my pulls last week and grabbed them today. No Captain America in there and they're completely sold out. I mean, I would think it's common sense to see that I'm reading one title that is just changing name and numbering and still pull it for me.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

We're rolling in 80's/90's DC stuff right now if you need some of that stuff!

drat I might need to make a trip up north.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Hold off a bit, I have 27 more long boxes to tape and price at $1 each and then we have 66 boxes of $1 nonsense to alphabetize.

Just let me know dude. I'd love to fill in a ton of my Action/Superman & Detective/Batman runs from the 80s and 90s

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Ferrule posted:

I know this is a ways back but aren't most shops closed on Tuesdays for this reason? I mean, it's not mandatory but every shop I've ever been to is usually closed the day before new-book day.

Mine is open. They just stay late Tuesday night to set everything up. I've helped them a couple times too.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I've seen a bunch of places upcharging on those loving things and it makes my blood boil.

Also if your shop doesn't bag & board for free you should find a new loving shop.

My shop doesn't, but he hooks me up on back issues and other poo poo so it balances out.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Which part?

We base our sales on what has sold previously. For new books we make educated guesses on how much to order.

As for why I don't like dealing with them, you tend to get a few weirdos who get upset when you don't pull a copy of Everyman #438 because Nobodyman made a guest appearance AND THAT'S MY FAVORITE CHARACTER HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THAT.

Lmao gently caress those nerds. When there's situations like that, I just email my guy and he gets it in there.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

:wow: Someone sure has a grudge in this here thread...!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Man, in the time since I have been out of the shop I have 100% stopped caring about the continued existence of single issues and my digital collection is 100 times the size it was in January.

I've been leaning this way myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Don't get me wrong, the HC collection isn't going anywhere (well, half of it anyways) but once I dump the garage collection I am done with buying singles unless it's something very special or I want to get something signed at a show.

Yeah I just think I'm going to switch to digital when it comes to the new issues. It'll appease my wife. I'll still get old back issues to fill collections.

• Locked thread