Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drilldo squirt posted:

Considering this and that last post I'm starting to think you don't know anything about the american or european immigration system.

That's incredibly cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah uh maybe I'm being presumptuous here, but I don't think us Europeans need to be looking at America for positive lessons regarding peaceful racial and cultural coexistence. Thanks for popping in tho!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
please stfu about guns punakone nobody gives a gently caress

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brainiac Five posted:

Thus, to oppose diversity is to accept that you are OK with shooting someone for repeatedly listening to Joy Division or keeping halal. If you are uncomfortable with this, either dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed, or admit that diversity is better than the alternatives. Or be intellectually fraudulent, whatever.

Critisicism multiculturalism doesn't make someone a nazi you slippery slope loving shartwagon.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brainiac Five posted:

Nice insult, very cutting. Anyways, you don't have to be a Nazi to be OK with shooting people for thinking the wrong things. In fact, Karl Popper specifically wrote an entire book to argue that being willing to murder people for dissident beliefs is in some cases necessary to defend against Nazism. And, ethically, it's hard to disagree with him. It's just that when you start saying "being monocultural is good" or "being multicultural is bad", you are not only denouncing the Roma, the Jews, the Muslims, etc. but also Goths, punks, emos, metalheads, etc. etc. because they too are cultures that are not THE culture, the monolithic entity that is good.

I don't think you understand how satire works, but in the meantime feel free to slide slide that slope straight outta the thread.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brainiac Five posted:

I'm sure noted racist Ligur was being satirical, or noted dumbshits steinrokkan and blowfish were being satirical, or noted ???? you is being satirical. Maybe you think Karl Popper was being satirical? I don't know. Maybe you got "satirical" and "serious" confused somewhere?

So, in any case, I like this line of thought. Certain cultures are more acceptable than others. Perhaps this correlates to a measure of value for the culture in question! Thus, we can talk all we want about how multiculturalism has failed to force the Muslims to dress the right way without also concluding that it's time to pummel some steampunks.

That's incredibly cool!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And that's why it's totally ok for me to act like a twat!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rappaport posted:

I thought he was involved in forming whatever it originally was, but left doors banging when the party that was formed wasn't genocidey enough for him? Apologies if I associated the Greens with him erroneously.

He's just a loon, nobody in the green movement ever took him seriously on any level. His only relevance was and remains as a cudgel for right wingers to beat the greens with.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I support the death penalty.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Funny thing about nuclear disasters, they tend to happen to aging reactors that should've been replaced decades ago. One wonders as to why they weren't replaced, who exactly was opposed to building new reactors to replace the dangerous ones? It's almost as if some people want nuclear disasters to happen.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

YF-23 posted:

First I never said that coal is cleaner than nuclear, second my explicit point about Fukushima is that ignoring warnings and skirting regulations means that nuclear power is risky in practice no matter how secure it is in theory. Like you're telling me "oh but Japan ignored warnings" as if that somehow refutes my point that warnings don't matter when they're ignored. :psyduck:

That's a failure of government, not technology. If a drat bursts because building regulations weren't followed when constructing it, that doesn't make hydropower a risky practice. Misuse of technology is the fault of the people in charge, not the technology being misused.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

YF-23 posted:

It's not about whose fault it is, it's about how dangerous the technology is when it's anyone's fault.

That doesn't really sound like a good strategy for much else besides terrifying yourself. Anything can and does lead to death and destruction if you've got corrupted crapouts in power, and banning nuclear energy isn't going to change that. Although it will ensure nothing changes for the corrupted crapouts.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My point though was that the reason that we've got aging reactors that occasionally explode is that we haven't been building new ones to replace them because of political pressure from the ecological movement. And so in the meantime what we got instead of solar and wind power was a whole lot of coal and natural gas. Turns out opposing things without providing a viable alternative is a pretty good strategy if you don't give a flying gently caress about the consequences.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So then you admit that Germany shutting down its nuclear plants was a disaster for the environment?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tapped out in Europe.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Well get to it then!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

YF-23 posted:

I don't know the exact statistics, but my non-expert knowledge leads me to agree with that statement. I'm not sure why you are phrasing it using words like "admit", as though I am ashamed of it or something.

Then I'm not really sure what you're arguing for here. If eschewing nuclear energy actually results in increased carbon emissions, wouldn't the logical conclusion about opposition to nuclear energy be that it doesn't care about the environmental consequences? And furthermore that the lost opportunity cost for the green movements opposition to nuclear energy for the past half a century has been the aggravation of climate change?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fishmech posted:

The reactor at Fukushima that melted down was specifically on schedule to be replaced about a year after the tsunami hit, as well as another reactor on site that was too heavily damaged to work anymore in the aftermath.

The owner of the plant expected to have new reactors built and operating on that site, after the removals, in 2015 for the first removal and 2017 for the second removal. The other reactors on site aren't scheduled for replacement until the 2020s.

I'm aware, but there had been warnings regarding the plant for decades already. It's the same with those Belgian reactors they recently restarted (Doel plant iirc). Aging, damaged things that should've been replaced 10 years ago with new reactors, but haven't been due to political opposition.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LemonDrizzle posted:

Paul Mason wants Austria's EU membership suspended if the far-right candidate wins the presidency: http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...country-from-eu

Has a good summary of the rise of the populist/anti-immigration right across Europe, although it wouldn't be a Mason piece without at least a few inaccuracies and bits of silliness - afaik the Polish Law & Justice party are very keen on NATO rather than wanting to see it dismantled, and the invocation of Greece is completely spurious. Also, the central claim - that electing an arsehole could be defined as a severe breach of fundamental rights meriting suspensions of membership - is patently absurd. Still, interesting.

The invocation of Greece isn't spurious, it's an example of how the EU can absolutely destroy a country if it doesn't like its elected government. The irony here is that while the EU leadership is vehemently hostile to all left-wing governments, it does nothing against the far-right ones. Not a word, not a sanction.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36385778

quote:

'Not such a bad thing'

Mr Valls indicated there might "still be changes, improvements" made to the labour reform laws. But he rejected Finance Minister Michel Sapin's suggestion that Article 2 of the bill could be rewritten. Article 2 gives individual companies the power to opt out of national obligations on labour protection if they feel they need to - something the CGT union fiercely opposes.

German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble backed the reform, saying: "France can live with such disputes. A certain dissatisfaction of voters with their respective rulers isn't such a bad thing in principle," he added.

Voter dissatisfaction with democratic institutions isn't really such a bad thing. :shobon:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, the CGT only represents 700,000 members while France has population of ~66,000,000. Just saying.

Don't just say, have a point. Now what is it?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really like Schaeuble tho. He's such an honest man when it comes to his disdain of democracy and popular power, it's a refreshing change from the the social-democratic face of his fellow political class.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now there's an election photo.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brainiac Five posted:

The vast majority of the French want fewer labor protections? Well, why didn't they say so? We can have a couple expeditionary forces of Marines in by a week from today to begin turning them into slave laborers. I am sure that they will herald this rescue from the tyranny of vacation times.

Shut the gently caress up you flagrant retard.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

Most European (and I believe even Greece?) democratic systems incorporate the ability for the government to say "if we can't pass this piece of legislation we are not able to continue in our jobs"

The fact that the legislators would be risking their jobs if they actually stopped this law only underscores the fact that the majority of voters do not support their position.

What ability? Resignation? That's not an "ability incorporated into democratic systems". That's just quitting the job. And anyway, we're at the point in Western democracies where our elected representatives rarely if ever actually represent the interests of the people who voted for them, nevermind the majority. That's the whole reason why we're in a crisis. So one appreciates comments like Schaeuble's where the divide between the people and their rulers is made crystal clear, for that finally allows for the people to realise that no, their interests will not be represented no matter how they vote. Which is great if you happen to be a Marxist!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brainiac Five posted:

You know that none of your responses will ever be acknowledged by the far-right motherfuckers like GC, right? Why play Sisyphus?

gently caress you. Don't ever post here again.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hate that guy.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

i killed the fascist in my head and am back in control -- its the communist goku

There is a policeman inside all our heads, he must be destroyed.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Europe is dying due to all the immigrants (lol)

fuckup up imho

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brainiac Five posted:

Categorically rejecting political violence also means rejecting military force, including resistance to insurrection. What is actually meant is "fascists are integratable into liberal democratic politics, so there's never any reason to use violence against them domestically." Which is questionable.

No it doesn't you dumb slippery sloping gently caress.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brainiac Five posted:

War is the continuation of politics by other means. It is never not political violence.

Oh by the might of your pedantic semantics am I defeated! Get the gently caress out.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He's quoting von clausewitz and not clarifying an obvious statement. I agree with him

I'm aware. It's still incredibly stupid and retarded to think that denouncing street violence against political opponents has anything to do with maintaining armed forces.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cops kill black kids left and right.

The centre ones are alright.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cerebral Bore posted:

I agree that the cops are basically terrorists, yes.

lol

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm glad we had this talk about how street violence is bad.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Third one is forums poster bRianiac five being an insuffrable twat who should quit posting forever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

It really doesn't, as this graph will show you:

If his description were accurate, the graph should point downward, which it doesn't.

Did you notice that massive divergence between the Labour Productivity and the (stagnating) Real Wage indices?

I'm also pretty sure you're not familiar with the content of the Finnish Competitiveness Pact actually includes. Working hours will be extended while pay rises will be limited, which will directly result in a fall in real purchasing power for workers.

lollontee fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 4, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Way to obliterate your own argument though lmao

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

His argument: Competitiveness can only be achieved by slashing worker compensation and this leads to a downward spiral in worker compensation

The graph shows: Worker compensation actually has increased over the last 14 year and competitiveness can be increased through labor productivity gains.

Now if you want to talk about the question how the gains of labor productivity increases should be distributed, that's a very different discussion.

That's a meaningless statement when real wages have remained stagnant for the past 8 years. You can select whatever point in the past before 2008 and say that real wages have increased. As for productivity, you are completely mistaken. If I work more hours for the same pay, in reality I'm getting paid less despite my real wages remaining constant. Do you think that the incoming French Labour reforms are going to increase worker benefits or something? Their aim is to decrease the cost of labour so that their employers can earn more.

And no, labour productivity increases are not a separate discussion. If the value of work done increases but workers don't see an increase in their real wages, they are being more exploited. You can call that 'competetiveness' but it's not the workers who benefit from that. They are still being forced to compete in the value of their work with countries with more predatory labour practices with zero benefit to themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Comparing per-capita GDP is a bit useless without measuring PPP. Also that's from 2004.

nvm

lollontee fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 4, 2016