Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
are you guys hyped to Lee Sedol vs Google DeepMind? because holy poo poo I can't hold my butt here, tomorrow will be the poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFr3K2DORc8

here's the backstory for those not in the know:

quote:

In October 2015, a computer Go program called AlphaGo, powered by DeepMind, beat the European Go champion Fan Hui, a 2 dan (out of 9 dan possible) professional, five to zero.[23] This is the first time an artificial intelligence (AI) defeated a professional player.[5] Previously, computers were only known to have played Go at "amateur" level.[23][24] Go is considered much more difficult for computers to win compared to other games like chess, due to the much larger number of possibilities, making it prohibitively difficult for traditional AI methods such as brute-force.[23][24] The announcement of the news was delayed until 27 January 2016 to coincide with the publication of a paper in the journal Nature describing the algorithms used.[23]

quote:

AlphaGo is scheduled to challenge South Korean professional Go player Lee Se-dol, who is ranked 9 dan,[5] with five games taking place at the Four Seasons Hotel in Seoul, South Korea on 9, 10, 12, 13, and 15 March 2016,[13][14] which will be video streamed live.[15] Aja Huang, a DeepMind team member and amateur 6-dan Go player, will place stones on the Go board for AlphaGo, which will be running through Google's cloud computing with its server located in the United States.[16] The match will adopt the Chinese rules with a 7.5-point komi, and each side will have two hours of thinking time plus three times of 60-second byoyomi.[17]

The winner will get a $1M prize. If AlphaGo wins, the prize will be donated to charities, including UNICEF.[18] Besides the $1M prize, Lee Se-dol will receive at least $150,000 for participating in all the five games and additional $20,000 for each win.[17]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
go? like magic the gathering?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

go? like magic the gathering?

no as in othello but its different and idk how

Feb 24, 2013

the robit is just going to cheat, its the only way they know to beat humans

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
full 19x19? thats impressive

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

1488 posted:

the robit is just going to cheat, its the only way they know to beat humans

exactly that robots just a cheating rear end in a top hat I say we burn it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

graph posted:

go is more about surrounding territory and capturing pieces, so in a way the pieces are more "static" than othello

also the board is huge (19x19)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I sperged about this board game in the terrible programmers thread so I'll quote those here

Symbolic Butt posted:

9x9 go is super boring, it's the exact same rules as regular 19x19 go but it's essentially a tactical game much like say hex

some weird poo poo happens when the board gets bigger, tactics are still important but it also gives rise this kind of vague strategical notion of ~~influence~~ which is probably what tef probably meant by "mystical bullshit".

imo it's a super interesting thing that it's hard to learn without some weird human intuition, this is pretty much what was considered a huge to challenge to AI in the early 2000s: make the computer grasp the notion of influence much like a human would

better computers and monte carlo algorithms made the jump from a computer playing like a complete retard to a semi-competent player. the dream of AI thinking like a human didn't realize with go like people were predicting a decade ago but it's still a cool thing I guess yospos birch

Symbolic Butt posted:

addendum: you can be super great at calculating moves in a local scale (like a computar) but it's impossible to crunch every variation on a global (whole board) scale so humans rely on this influence intuition

Symbolic Butt posted:

chess also has some aspects where a human player still have clear better judgment than a computer engine (like judging board positions) but it's less effective and flashy than what happened with go

and also pretty much reserved to dudes like magnus carlsen

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

this will be cool

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

I sperged about this board game in the terrible programmers thread so I'll quote those here

Thx for the crosspost. Very interesting.

E: May have to start lurking the Terrible Programmers Thread :ninja:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

hype

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm willing to get my but kicked by a computer for well under $150k

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
ban for anime

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i bet computers look at human chess tournaments much the same way we see the puppy bowl

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
the computer is going to win and it's going to advance our understanding of intelligence as much as deep blue and watson did

ie not at all

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

honestly most of the credit for recent advances in ML should go to nvidia, and i say this as a ML researcher

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
go is cool, i tried to play it for a while but i'm terrible and lost basically every game against human or computer

i welcome the relentless march of robot domination in this as in every other field of human endeavour

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

graph posted:

19x19 grid, placing pieces on a vertex instead of a space
a piece (or group of pieces) need to be entirely surrounded before they're captured
the goal is not necessarily to get more of the opponent's pieces or have more of your pieces on the board, but to own territory
you own territory by surrounding a region with your pieces like a wall, not including the edge of the board

go owns

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:siren: the game is tomorrow korea time so that's actually tonight for us normal cool people. 8PM pacific 11 eastern let's tviv this poo poo :siren:

e: I'm dumb it's wednesday morning seoul so tuesday night for us.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 8, 2016

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
oh poo poo, really?

gonna have to check this out

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
this came up on the stream

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Space-Pope posted:

this came up on the stream

Hahah Nice! Crossposting; Reddit's gonna love this :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why can't the computer crunch? is there literally that many iterations that modern huge millioncore computers still can't brute force it?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

why can't the computer crunch? is there literally that many iterations that modern huge millioncore computers still can't brute force it?

tons, op

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
lol who plays this loving game anymore

like im looking at twitch and it's literallynot even in the top 20 games lol

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

echinopsis posted:

there are apparently
legal positions, which are a lot, op

Su-Su-Sudoko fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 8, 2016

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Testiclops posted:

there are apparently
legal positions, which are a lot, op

https://tromp.github.io/go/legal.html

this page is cool, the base 3 representation was witty as gently caress

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

a good rule of thumb that I learned with Peter Norvig (my computerman hero) with dealing with brute force nowadays is:

brute forcing 1 million to 100 million states (10^6 - 10^8) is trivial, modern computers can do it in a matter of seconds, maybe a minute

at billion states (10^9 - 10^11) it starts getting a little harder, like maybe it'll be like 20 minutes to 3 hours, something like that. if you really want an answer in the worst case you could leave your computer running it for a week? no big deal

now trillion states (10^12 - 10^14)... you're just hosed. you'd need to leave your computer running it for hundreds of years, it's just hopeless. even with the best computers on earth at this point it's still tough as poo poo with a pure brute-force approach.

this board game has around 10^170 possible states

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 8, 2016

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Id like to see a computer beat innovation or SoS in the game of kings, starcraft 2

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo yes lets do this

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
if any of this interests you into trying out go, there's a ton of clients and services for playing it online

i personally recommend pandanet. it has plenty of players, an easy to use client, and a mobile app when you want to play (or watch) on the toilet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Symbolic Butt posted:

a good rule of thumb that I learned with Peter Norvig (my computerman hero) with dealing with brute force nowadays is:

brute forcing 1 million to 100 million states (10^6 - 10^8) is trivial, modern computers can do it in a matter of seconds, maybe a minute

at billion states (10^9 - 10^11) it starts getting a little harder, like maybe it'll be like 20 minutes to 3 hours, something like that. if you really want an answer in the worst case you could leave your computer running it for a week? no big deal

now trillion states (10^12 - 10^14)... you're just hosed. you'd need to leave your computer running it for hundreds of years, it's just hopeless. even with the best computers on earth at this point it's still tough as poo poo with a pure brute-force approach.

this board game has around 10^170 possible states

:chanpop:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Space-Pope posted:

a mobile app when you want to play (or watch) on the toilet

Go while you 'go'

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
yup, and that's legal states. illegal states is something to the order of 10^172, so only about 1% of all theoretical states are considered legal

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

you can up these numbers a fair bit nowadays. a 3 teraflop gpu costs ~$300. running it flat-out for a year will get you 10^20 ops.

processing a 'state' takes more than one op mind you, but yeah gpus are pretty great

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i am extremely hype for this, my personal projects have been building models for imperfect info games like poker or mahjong very poorly

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

alphago is gonna lose

apparently the euro champion played a really amateurish game against alphago

lee sedol will crush alphago under his goban

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the intuition for go/chess is very difficult for me to comprehend, as such, i am terrible

like you read a chess report and there's some sort of +/-EV system to moves and losing EV is labelled a blunder or something when it could've been a feint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i do like that people just hang out in the park and play tho like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5vnpOp0U_g

• Locked thread