Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Condiv posted:

alphago is gonna lose

apparently the euro champion played a really amateurish game against alphago

lee sedol will crush alphago under his goban

that was six months ago though. i'm sure it's improved quite a lot since then. as of last week bookies were giving about 1:1 odds incredibly.

here's an annotated view of one of the games with commentary by some other presumably good player analyst:

https://gogameguru.com/go-commentary-deepmind-alphago-vs-fan-hui-game-5/

here's some ppl talking about alphago's play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHRHUHW6HQE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
thanks for the link, always neat to see a person who knows what they're talking about poke at the game

it definitely feels like google overstepped challenging the World's Greatest Go Master, but tbh in the last couple months the deep dream stuff is doing things (esp. the style transference stuff) i never thought would be possible so

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
so people might be interested in what it means when they see things like "9dan" or "9p" like in that video's splash screen

go has a ranking system, kind of like chess does, except with three distinct classes that have numerical ranks within them
amateur players are known as "kyu", with a number that usually begins around 20 or so. so if you're totally new, you'd say you're 20kyu or abbreviate it as 20k. this number decreases the better you get, until you're 1kyu. usually there's no real body to evaluate kyu players, so it's more or less done by self-estimation
once you pass 1kyu, you become 1dan, or 1d. "dan" players are advanced but not professional, and are usually given the rank of dan by their region's go association after passing tests and/or tournaments. from here, the number goes up to 7dan to 9dan, depending on the group
past/parallel to that, there is the professional group, which are also referred to as "dan", although some distinction is made in abbreviation by saying that a low-ranked professional is 1p. again, this goes up to 9p

lee sedol, the player tonight, is 9p. this means he is amongst the best of the best, and analogous to a chess grandmaster

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'll be sittin here wfh all night so i may tune in.

i dont need Yet Another Game to be fuckin with buuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
look man i'm just kind of excited and want to get people interested because i like go but i get so very few chances to have a friendly game

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Space-Pope posted:

look man i'm just kind of excited and want to get people interested because i like go but i get so very few chances to have a friendly game

go is really expert-biased, even with handicaps you'll get annihilated

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i prefer games I always win

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

i prefer games I always win

i prefer to challenge people to regionally popular but peculiar games at which i will annihilate them (candlepin bowling, curling, and go)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

sorry, but go looks kinda spergy and dumb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

sorry, but go looks kinda spergy and dumb

you're very rarely if ever a positive poster sweeves

I don't know if you improve people's lives mate

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

check me out i'm a 7th dan snakes and ladders player :smug:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Share Bear posted:

go is really expert-biased, even with handicaps you'll get annihilated
yeah, that's the problem. so it'd be nice to get play with others who are beginning, and learn off of each other vOv

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is 9x9 leveled enough to give a poo poo about or is it the same nuclear assault from the pros thing

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

is 9x9 leveled enough to give a poo poo about or is it the same nuclear assault from the pros thing

9x9 is fine. the games are faster, and you'll learn quicker as a result

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I feel as if there's some kind of joke in Google Research pitting their wits against a game with roughly a googol squared possible states but I can't get to it, so

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

imagine all the atoms in the visible universe. now replace each of them with a whole universes worth of atoms. that number of atoms is still orders of magnitude smaller than the number of legal go positions

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

not that it natyers, the computers still probably going to win

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Space-Pope posted:

same

I also don't have the discipline to play regularly and get better but I'm alright with that

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Space-Pope posted:

yup, and that's legal states. illegal states is something to the order of 10^172, so only about 1% of all theoretical states are considered legal

Symbolic Butt posted:

a good rule of thumb that I learned with Peter Norvig (my computerman hero) with dealing with brute force nowadays is:

brute forcing 1 million to 100 million states (10^6 - 10^8) is trivial, modern computers can do it in a matter of seconds, maybe a minute

at billion states (10^9 - 10^11) it starts getting a little harder, like maybe it'll be like 20 minutes to 3 hours, something like that. if you really want an answer in the worst case you could leave your computer running it for a week? no big deal

now trillion states (10^12 - 10^14)... you're just hosed. you'd need to leave your computer running it for hundreds of years, it's just hopeless. even with the best computers on earth at this point it's still tough as poo poo with a pure brute-force approach.

this board game has around 10^170 possible states

btw I didn't give the number for the actual problem of playing the game which involves searching through the game tree :ssh:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
it will be nice to have some more games with solid commentary in english

George posted:

lol who plays this loving game anymore

like im looking at twitch and it's literallynot even in the top 20 games lol

i would no poo poo watch a go let's play

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watch The Divine Move instead of either the computer or the grandmaster getting wrecked in minutes. It's good

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Google has absolutely no excuse for this awful music.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
anyone good know how it is going? black looks in a better position to me a little?

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
this amateur broadcast doesn't even have a live stockfish score to tell us who is winning

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

all hail the computer

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*

pointsofdata posted:

all hail the computer

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd much rather computers replaced these garbage commentators though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lee sedol looked really flustered when he resigned

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*

pointsofdata posted:

I'd much rather computers replaced these garbage commentators though

the guy who plays go professionally was alright

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pointsofdata posted:

holy poo poo he was so confident in an earlier interview about how alphago losing by 1-4 would be a significant victory for google.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

pointsofdata posted:

Hands shaking and poo poo. Dudes world has just collapsed in, next game is alphago's too

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Symbolic Butt posted:

holy poo poo he was so confident in an earlier interview about how alphago losing by 1-4 would be a significant victory for google.

tbf he would have absolutely crushed the version that played back in october

he just seriously underestimated how much it could improve over the course of four months

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

I enjoyed this game and look forward to the next. I think I failed on the opening layout so if I do a better job on the opening aspect I think I will be able to increase my probability of winning

i take that to mean "i didn't really have an anti-computer strategy for an opponent that good" which kinda makes sense cause it's not like anyone has ever needed one before. kasparov said pretty much the same thing after deep blue stomped him in that first game, didn't he?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

i take that to mean "i didn't really have an anti-computer strategy for an opponent that good" which kinda makes sense cause it's not like anyone has ever needed one before. kasparov said pretty much the same thing after deep blue stomped him in that first game, didn't he?

there was some weirdness with Kasparov's games where he massively overestimated how good deep blue was or something because if a weird endgame and it really threw him

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

decent writeup here

https://gogameguru.com/alphago-defeats-lee-sedol-game-1/

e:

quote:

“I was so surprised. Actually, I never imagined that I would lose. It’s so shocking.”

“Regarding the game, I got off to a bad start and AlphaGo played well right until the end.”

“Even when I was behind, I still didn’t imagine that I’d lose. I didn’t think that it would be able to play such an excellent game.”

“I heard that the DeepMind CEO Demis Hassabis said that he respects me as a Go player, but I have great respect for both of them [referring to Demis Hassabis and Eric Schmidt] for making this amazing program.”

“I also respect all the programmers who helped to make AlphaGo.”

Satellit3 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 9, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

this is the extent of my go knowledge

http://youtu.be/7-C1cpG6TLc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PatRichCapone posted:

the guy who plays go professionally was alright

yeah he's OK most of the time, but the other guy is just useless. doesn't know anything about go and has 0 charisma

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This game is closer according to the commentators

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*
2-0 for the robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think it's a bit silly putting the UK flag under alphagos name during the game.

imagine how bad the immigration statositcs would be if computers counted, Theresa may would have a heart attack

• Locked thread