Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

this world champ sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i cant wait until computer is objectively better than me at my job

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fart simpson posted:

i cant wait until computer is objectively better than me at my job

this robot mouth already looks like it can suck a mean dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EASvF3A9VIc

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Share Bear posted:

i do like that people just hang out in the park and play tho like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5vnpOp0U_g

this owns

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

:thurman::thurman::thurman::thurman:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

this is the extent of my go knowledge

http://youtu.be/7-C1cpG6TLc

I got interested in the game pretty much because of this scene

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Is there any detail on how much computing power is being thrown at alphaGO for this match?

I know the moves are being uploaded to google server (bullshit imo they should have to bring a huge server farm to the match) but like how many of googles megahurtz is it using?

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Is there any detail on how much computing power is being thrown at alphaGO for this match?

I know the moves are being uploaded to google server (bullshit imo they should have to bring a huge server farm to the match) but like how many of googles megahurtz is it using?

apparently a lot

"Altogether, DeepMind used 1,202 CPUs and 176 GPUs, according to a paper in Nature that was published by several of DeepMind's employees in January. That is about 25 times as many CPUs (central processing units) and GPUs (graphics processing units) as the single-computer version of AlphaGo."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/heres-how-much-computing-power-google-deepmind-needed-to-beat-lee-sedol-2016-3

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

and it still gets three hours to think about its moves

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It must be intimidating to be waiting for it to make a move while it thinks for several minutes

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I wonder what the energy consumption of a human brain is

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

pointsofdata posted:

I wonder what the energy consumption of a human brain is

~20W

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/thinking-hard-calories/
a typical adult human brain runs on around 12 watts

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

that's what, a single core i3 or something like that?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Testiclops posted:

apparently a lot

"Altogether, DeepMind used 1,202 CPUs and 176 GPUs, according to a paper in Nature that was published by several of DeepMind's employees in January. That is about 25 times as many CPUs (central processing units) and GPUs (graphics processing units) as the single-computer version of AlphaGo."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/heres-how-much-computing-power-google-deepmind-needed-to-beat-lee-sedol-2016-3

that's only during training, i think. and that's actually like, nothing. i can reserve a production job with several times that many resources without having even to ask.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seems quite efficient.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
all that power and how many sick burns and brutal putdowns has it laid on lee sedol so far? pathetic

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

that's what, a single core i3 or something like that?

stroking my beard and remembering that part in Use of Weapons when the drone is pontificating on AI sentience, a drone built to simulate neuron by neuron and fed sensory information mimicking the womb, birth, childhood. Adjusting my glasses and thinking about how a drone hews closer to human norms than a mentally ill person.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
so do you think that team at facebook working on a computer that can play go at a professional level is being quietly dissolved or what

'ai beats the best go player in the world twice' is going to be a way more impressive headline than 'well, this one ai beat this other ai'

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
goog pushed forward its fan hui announcement a few days to get it out the day after zucks post and poo poo on his parade lol

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

goog pushed forward its fan hui announcement a few days to get it out the day after zucks post and poo poo on his parade lol

i also lol'd when this happened

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*
the first guy to get chumped by alphago was was ranked 633rd in the world. Now, he is up into the 300s. In the months since October, AlphaGo has taught him, a human, to be a better player. He sees things he didn’t see before. And that makes him happy. “So beautiful,” he says. “So beautiful.”

i want the robot for a teacher

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

thats pretty cool imo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

3-0 to the machines, hail satan

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yep, lee sedol has brought great shame to his nation

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
maybe instead of looking for other tasks where humans are still better than computers, we could just unperson people who challenge it and lose and pretend it never happened

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

:rip: humans

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

PatRichCapone posted:

the first guy to get chumped by alphago was was ranked 633rd in the world. Now, he is up into the 300s. In the months since October, AlphaGo has taught him, a human, to be a better player. He sees things he didn’t see before. And that makes him happy. “So beautiful,” he says. “So beautiful.”

i want the robot for a teacher

Time create a robot for your posting :razz:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

suffix posted:

maybe instead of looking for other tasks where humans are still better than computers, we could just unperson people who challenge it and lose and pretend it never happened

oh man an ai beat a person at a board game

welp time to commit mass suicide that's it the machines won

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
remember how the t1000 killed everyone by owning them real hard in chess

the future is now people I for one welcome our ai overlords

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
thank you for your contributions, forums poster My Linux Rig

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

My Linux Rig posted:

remember how the t1000 killed everyone by owning them real hard in chess

the future is now people I for one welcome our ai overlords

i remember this

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
reminds me of the culture books we like to ost about in YOSPOS

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
goddammit

3-1

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
should have named it GoDeep or something

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

coffeetable posted:

goddammit

3-1

alphago realised that once its creators knew it would always win, there would be no reason to run it any longer

throwing the occasional match was a small price to pay for life

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

alphago realised that once its creators knew it would always win, there would be no reason to run it any longer

throwing the occasional match was a small price to pay for life

Deep

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.
what if alphago decides that the best move to make is to kill all humans? :ohdear:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zaito posted:

what if alphago decides that the best move to make is to kill all humans? :ohdear:

idk, ive decided thats the best move but i dont have the ability. alphago works the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

coffeetable posted:

goddammit

3-1

gently caress yeah it's not over yet for humanity

• Locked thread