Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
I've played every game on your list to some degree (currently farting around with BDO, and FF14 is my clear favorite. I'm normally a solo to max level type of person and only THEN do group content if I feel like it. Final Fantasy 14 really brought me out of my shell and I adored the level 15+ group content. I also rather enjoyed the level 50 storyline that bridges the expansion because of the group fights.

Though at the time I didn't know it was required for the expansion stuff. The filler parts are pretty "meh" but fights like Shiva made it worth it. The way the group finder works, there will still be people queing for your required group stuff. That said, doing post 50 content knowing there's a whole expansion in front of you is vaguely demoralizing, but you can power through it and there are really enjoyable parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Okay that sounds suboptimal, but not dealbreaking and probably way less awful than literally everything else.

I want to add to the long GCD comment you made earlier: Combat in FF14 kind of sucks below level 30. Dungeons don't throw many mechanics at you, and you don't have a lot of abilities to keep track of. This changes quickly as characters go from 30 to level 50, and the end game content is actually very punishing if you mess up your ability rotations and hit the wrong things at the wrong time. I'd even go as far to say that a single button press in FF14 matters significantly more than a single button press in WoW at the level cap (especially if you play a healer).

Edit: Examples of old max level content (things are actually crazier in the expansion, and in the actual raid dungeons): Titan EX Leviathan EX Shiva EX

Willias fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 8, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Willias posted:

I want to add to the long GCD comment you made earlier: Combat in FF14 kind of sucks below level 30. Dungeons don't throw many mechanics at you, and you don't have a lot of abilities to keep track of. This changes quickly as characters go from 30 to level 50, and the end game content is actually very punishing if you mess up your ability rotations and hit the wrong things at the wrong time. I'd even go as far to say that a single button press in FF14 matters significantly more than a single button press in WoW at the level cap (especially if you play a healer).

Edit: Examples of old max level content (things are actually crazier in the expansion, and in the actual raid dungeons): Titan EX Leviathan EX Shiva EX

If you go to the FFXIV thread and ask, someone can give you their recruit a friend code. If you input that code when you make your account you get a circlet that gives you like +25% exp between level 1 and 25 which makes the 1-30 slog significantly breezier.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Don't.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rapidly veering outside MMO territory, I know, but have you considered Dungeon Fighter Online? It scratches the same sort of MMO itch everything else being discussed here does while also letting me suplex minotaurs in a game made to make me remember how good Simpsons Arcade was :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I mean I'm going to be trying black desert and kincaid is currently playing the WoW trial if you want friendly faces 'wang.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Rhymenoserous posted:

kincaid is currently playing the WoW trial

jesus why :stonk:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'm pretty sure "Because it's not eve" will be the answer.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

You can make it to FFXIV's current endgame in less than two months of casual play, probably two or three weeks if you poopsock it.

I can confirm you can take a character from brand new to endgame raiding ready in 160-ish hours of poopsocking. Took me less than 2 weeks.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

I can confirm you can take a character from brand new to endgame raiding ready in 160-ish hours of poopsocking. Took me less than 2 weeks.

nerd

at this point I think I'm going for the anime catgirl game, as it appears to be the closest thing to what I want.

someone make an mmo with gw2's levelling and wow's dungeons tia

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Digital_Jesus posted:

With how the MMO market is now 160 hours of worthless 'leveling content', which is absolutely dire in ff14 is not worth the payoff of the game at the end of it, is way way too much and in itself a turnoff. It is mind boggling that Square didn't put in a way to skip everything between hitting 50 and starting heavensward but gently caress it they will pay and support it anyway because it has FF in the title and isn't as bad as the 1.0 launch.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Byolante posted:

With how the MMO market is now 160 hours of worthless 'leveling content', which is absolutely dire in ff14 is not worth the payoff of the game at the end of it, is way way too much and in itself a turnoff. It is mind boggling that Square didn't put in a way to skip everything between hitting 50 and starting heavensward but gently caress it they will pay and support it anyway because it has FF in the title and isn't as bad as the 1.0 launch.

Tbh the last thing I find myself thinking in an MMO is "drat there's too much content". We have people doing sync'd runs of Binding Coil just to experience a fascimile of the raid as it was. Some folks do similar poo poo with EX Primals. I can't blame them because they're still fun fights, the story does a goos job of hyping them up, and the music rules.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 9, 2016

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

Tbh the last thing I find myself thinking in an MMO is "drat there's too much content". We have people doing sync'd runs of Binding Coil just to experience a fascimile of the raid as it was. Some folks do similar poo poo with EX Primals. I can't blame them because they're still fun fights, the story does a goos job of hyping them up, and the music rules.

I didn't say 'drat there is too much content' I said 'drat there is way to much filler bullshit stopping me from experiencing the expansion'. Obviously sitting through 100 hours of prereqs for raids nobody runs anymore is a valuable use of my gaming time. Imagine if you had to do the attunement chain for loving SSC and TK to be able to go to northrend.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Actually people run the raids drat near constantly and you can find a group for almost any pre-expac content in less than 10 minutes. SE constantly uses it for newer stuff in the expansion so theres always people going back to collect poo poo that starts dropping in the old world, and aside from the 2.4-2.55 fetchquest filler (which is getting fixed in 4.0) almost all of the MSQ content is relevant and unlocks poo poo you're gonna be doing anyway later?

As someone who flat out loving *hated* having to do the 2.4-2.55 portion of the MSQ to get into HW in retrospec its not that bad because it took like a whole 15 hours of my time. They've acknowledged its poo poo and plan to fix it, and its not like you need to re-do it every time you want to level a new class.

The vast majority of level 50 content is not useless though and plenty of people still do it on the reg, unlike most MMOs where when a raid tier is over that poo poo gets dustbinned into history and very few new players will ever see it again.

Really I hate leveling in almost all MMOs but it was pretty good in FFXIV.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 9, 2016

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Digital_Jesus posted:

Actually people run the raids drat near constantly and you can find a group for almost any pre-expac content in less than 10 minutes. SE constantly uses it for newer stuff in the expansion so theres always people going back to collect poo poo that starts dropping in the old world, and aside from the 2.4-2.55 fetchquest filler (which is getting fixed in 4.0) almost all of the MSQ content is relevant and unlocks poo poo you're gonna be doing anyway later?

As someone who flat out loving *hated* having to do the 2.4-2.55 portion of the MSQ to get into HW in retrospec its not that bad because it took like a whole 15 hours of my time. They've acknowledged its poo poo and plan to fix it, and its not like you need to re-do it every time you want to level a new class.

The vast majority of level 50 content is not useless though and plenty of people still do it on the reg, unlike most MMOs where when a raid tier is over that poo poo gets dustbinned into history and very few new players will ever see it again.

Really I hate leveling in almost all MMOs but it was pretty good in FFXIV.

Oh so its ok for the game to waste your life now because next expansion they are totes gonna fix it

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

You're under the assumption that video games themselves are not a waste of your life?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The gating between hitting 50 and HW is garbage any way you look at it. Let people go back and do it on their own time, dont force them through it. It seriously made me quit with how tedious it was and youre vastly overselling the ease with which to get groups to do the harder parts can be. I was spending upwards of my whole playing sessions (40-50 minutes) just looking for groups.

Its a good game but its not without faults. The time sinks and gating show up quite often and are usually very blunt about what they are there for.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Furnaceface posted:

The gating between hitting 50 and HW is garbage any way you look at it. Let people go back and do it on their own time, dont force them through it. It seriously made me quit with how tedious it was and youre vastly overselling the ease with which to get groups to do the harder parts can be. I was spending upwards of my whole playing sessions (40-50 minutes) just looking for groups.

Its a good game but its not without faults. The time sinks and gating show up quite often and are usually very blunt about what they are there for.

Let me guess you played on a backwater server and not on Excalibur with literally over a thousand goons who could have helped you deal with any of the two "harder parts" (the Chrysalis and Steps of Faith instances, each of which is like a six minute endeavor) in no time at all.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Let me guess you played on a backwater server and not on Excalibur with literally over a thousand goons who could have helped you deal with any of the two "harder parts" (the Chrysalis and Steps of Faith instances, each of which is like a six minute endeavor) in no time at all.

No, I played on Excal, just at off hours or for short periods of time. What few goons were on were often already burnt out on the old stuff, its not like playing with goons was some magical "get a group whenever you want" party.

Like I said, I enjoyed the game up until then. A lot. And Id still recommend it to anyone looking for a fun story driven MMO, but Id also tell them to not buy the expansion and quit at 50. :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GW2 isn't designed from the ground up to waste your time, puts fun before minmaxing, allows gear customization for maximum fashion, and has a slot upgrade item called the Crab Bedazzler.

FF14 was fun until 50 and then it became not fun, and gathering materials for crafting in that game was an ungodly, boring chore that I wouldn't wish on anyone. I never got the expansion, but I also never got the expansion FOR A REASON.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 9, 2016

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Selling a mmo as worth playing when you need to say 'If you play on the highest pop english server and have a group to carry you through things then its really not that bad honest' is pretty loving hilarious. FF14 has really obvious and fatal flaws for anyone who hasn't been locked in and playing since 2.0 launch with a tolerance for a horrendous interface.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

It's bad loving design regardless if there's a goon group perfectly willing to drag you through it.

It would be like forcing someone to raid molten core just to get to whatever raids are available in the latest expansion pack. Oh what that doesn't sound reasonable? Well it isn't reasonable just because it's your pet game either.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I live Xiv but it has horrible gating, horrible new player catch up and some mind boggling design choices for the expansion. However, it is a solid game and despite these issues it is still one of the best MMO on the market. Tons of content, very easy access to said content despite issues stated above.

Problem is they designed things as major time sinks but haven't adjust older content very much to account for the new content taking a while on top of the old content.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

God help you if you actually get a nasty p1999 addiction. Nothing will ever compare.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Try a 30 day EVE Online trial. You will either enjoy it, or realize you don't hate life quite that much and go outside more often henceforth.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

GW2 isn't designed from the ground up to waste your time

Actually it is right now just that, and the developers sound like they are incredibly depressed and incapable of fixing it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah I figured. I've never been much for ironically fun games.

Project Gorgon isn't ironically fun, it's legitimately the best game being suggested here simply because it's not World of Warcraft and makes no attempt to be World of Warcraft 2.0, but since you're looking for something similar to World of Warcraft, it definitely isn't the game for you.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

-Troika- posted:

Try a 30 day EVE Online trial. You will either enjoy it, or realize you don't hate life quite that much and go outside more often henceforth.

http://evewho.com/pilot/Chicken+Wing

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
Just play Ragnarok Online: Dawn of Midgard and you can grind all night long until Darkfall: New Dawn comes out.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
ffxiv: if you're interested in endgame pve, the endgame raids in ffxiv are pretty well designed. coil of bahamut and alexander are interesting, neat dungeons with cool boss mechanics, but they're boss mechanics you have most likely seen a variation of if you've played wow before

getting into raids isn't hard, you can "duty finder" them (cross server grouping) at the easiest difficulty and groups generally (emphasis on generally) can clear it without being total fuckups. i haven't played 3.1 but 3.0 was a blast, as was the entirety of realm reborn if you're okay with FF-esque storylines, as others have said it drags between 2.1 to 2.4 then picks up in tempo

music is extremely good too, its one of the few MMOs i left my music on while playing

crafting is a drag unless you like crafting, and i say this as a moron that has majority 50+ crafting classes, gathering too. pvp is nonexistant, you can get into games but its like a 15 minute wait last i played. you can do mindless mini-game poo poo like raising chocobos and playing triple triad/pet battling minigames

basically i'd say give ffxiv a shot and if you get to cap and want more, spring for the expac

black desert: since you mentioned you weren't looking for endgame pvp stuff since you play eve, this game probably isn't for you. there's little in pve outside of massive grinds for drops to make you better at pvp, but boy is the community in this game salty sometimes

blade and soul: i didn't play the latest patch, but the game's story is pretty good the whole run through. its definitely fast-paced compared to the other mmos here save for BDO maybe, the end-game is sadly lacking in depth. arenas are the big draw where it turns into a street-fighter esque match so if you're not looking for pvp, this probably isn't for you either once you hit cap

also it shouldn't need repeating but lmao don't play wildstar

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Seeing the phrase "ability rotation" used to describe to an mmo's combat instantly makes me think the game is an outdated trash heap tbqh.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

mmos are poo poo. still playing ff14 and bns though.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

GW2 is old news for the "play with fiance" genre enthusiast.

Nowadays if you value your future spouse you just gotta go with Elder Scrolls Online. Its fun, its simple, its casual, and you can also marry her character ingame

just make sure you get it on sale cause its pricetag is kinda steep case closed next please

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Man I so called it the QUEST WALL for the FF14 expansion was going to bite them in the rear end. You have to do 150 quests at max level to be able to play the expansion. LOL

futile
May 18, 2009
Project Gorgon is the only true MMO

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Play FFXIV because a lot of goons irrationally hate it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Final Fantasy is probably the best MMO at the moment but its an incredible timesink, you have to do all storyquests to progress which might sound fine but 70% of them are insultingly back and forth treks across the world maps to have a conversation.
You also have to do all the storyquests and basic dungeons for all patches (there were a bunch) in order to progress to the expansion content which is where the game gets good, which should "only" take about a day's solid grinding, skipping all cutscenes with a tank to group with.

I ended up getting to end level then quitting in frustration because its so close to a great MMO but all the grind is done to waste as much of your time as possible. Presentation and higher level PVE content are incredibly good though and their content releases put WoW to absolute shame.

e: someone above said that its designed from the ground up to waste your time and yeah pretty much, but in an interesting way, it has teleporting like GW2 but will put all story objectives as far as possible from a teleport point. It has flying and its rad but you have to run around every part of a zone and do quests and a dungeon, you will usually have outlevelled a zone at about the time you gain flying. It has new hunting logs for the expansion where you gain loads of exp and currency for killing select mobs allowing new players to quickly gain gear, but its gated by you completing all the hunting logs for the previous game.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 12, 2016

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The only good MMOs are the private servers that remove all of the dumb grinding that makes all MMOs second job simulators and complete wastes of your limited time on this planet.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Ffxiv trial status: I killed a bunch of squirrels and did chores for random assholes. Exactly what I was expecting and looking for 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Planetside 2. It actually has fun mechanics and isn't just staring at status bars. If you suck at FPS games no problem, just spawn a tank and hang back as you kill nerds super far away. You won't die that often and it's fun to be sniper tank.

• Locked thread