Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Willias posted:

If WoW was still good, possibly? But it hasn't been for quite a while now. FF14:ARR is the first WoW-clone that I seriously thought was any good at the end game. Besides, there's a level of flashiness and style that FF14 has that WoW cannot match. Period.

Like the appeal of reading a novel with the most annoying and unspeakable names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Willias posted:

Besides, there's a level of flashiness and style that FF14 has that WoW cannot match.

This is where ff14 lacks compared to wow imo.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Shy posted:

This is where ff14 lacks compared to wow imo.

On the other hand everything isn't covered in violently green piss.

Visually you could argue either way, but in terms of music FFXIV is shockingly better than wow, and sound design is a super important factor for me.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Nope WoW music is better too. Or it's a matter of personal taste, I don't know.
e: actually i'll backtrack assuming heavensward is better because I haven't leveled that far

Shy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 15, 2016

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

My issues with Heavensward was that it either has some bad design or it's limited by being on consoles. The two biggest being the awful GCD. Way to long inbetween attacks. And the loading screens inbetween zones.

Takane
Aug 24, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Play Bless Online op

other input: I've played swtor for 4 years, its still bad.
WoW: good, gets old quick when they dont release content for a year
FFXIV: Fun, pretty, grindy.
BDO: i didnt get past level 1.
BnS: arenas were fun

Takane fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 15, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Arcland posted:

My issues with Heavensward was that it either has some bad design or it's limited by being on consoles. The two biggest being the awful GCD. Way to long inbetween attacks. And the loading screens inbetween zones.

They did make it a little better with the zones being like 5x the size from vanilla.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

And it is very limited by still being on the ps3

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

4.0 Goodbye PS3

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Digital_Jesus posted:

4.0 Goodbye PS3

I love that the answer to every problem with ARR is that if you buy the base game, the current expansion and the expansion that might be out next year it will be a good game.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

How dare they fix things

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008

Byolante posted:

I love that the answer to every problem with ARR is that if you buy the base game, the current expansion and the expansion that might be out next year it will be a good game.

Well , they seem to be working always on a lot of stuff, so they give hope

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Byolante posted:

Alternatively, it's a pretty good game right now and the expectation is that lingering flaws will be addressed and it will become a better one for it :v:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shy posted:

How dare they fix things

saying 'this game might be good in the future!' isn't very useful when someone says 'I want to play a mmo now'

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Though the game is good now and you don't want to play an mmo.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I agree that the leveling is a slog but you only do it once, how unfun it is is also a matter of personal preference and being able to skip 90% of the game to repeat 10% with guildmates doesn't make a game good.

Shy fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 15, 2016

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

Good thing it's a good game now, too. :v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Man I don't know if it's just because I've not been playing a lot of MMOs lately or what, but I really don't find the GCD in FFXIV to be all that bad.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I can totally get that people who don't like FFXIV's slower pace, though it's worth noting that the melee jobs are going to be packing the GCD time with oGCD abilities. Oh, and Machinist too.

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Good thing it's a good game now, too. :v:
Yes but people have admitted there are flaws linked to supporting a dead/dying console so the game must be bad. It's one or the other, you know.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 15, 2016

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

ChickenWing posted:

Man I don't know if it's just because I've not been playing a lot of MMOs lately or what, but I really don't find the GCD in FFXIV to be all that bad.

That's because it's not actually that bad. You get used to it quickly and the game is built around the pacing it creates.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The GCD in FF14 is fine, it just sucks for the first 30-40 levels when you have like 3 abilities, which is why it gets a lot of hate. Later when you have a lot of off-GCD abilities/cooldowns/cross-class skills it's much better.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Byolante posted:

I realize you're just a lovely posting gimmick but if you seriously believe the developers having a timeline for dropping old machine support and continual improvement projects for their MMO coming with pretty much every patch/expansion point is a bad thing then you should probably not play video games.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Black Desert Online is a Fun and Cool game

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

zwdzk posted:

Black Desert Online is a Fun and Cool game

Yeah it's definitely drawn me in. A lot of what I like is my various goals have realistic ends. I've got a production line running right now that's going to end in a boat, and I'm thrilled about that.

I compare it to the only other sandbox that I have played recently (eve) and just realize that any "Worth Chasing" goal there is probably going to be the work of a year (Super/Titan) or take a bunch of grinding isk. Meanwhile my slaves Glorious Workers are doing all the work in BDO, and I just check in once a day to process the poo poo/send it to the next work house. And the bonus of getting a boat is having more loving money, unlike in say Eve where I'd just get a space coffin and never log in again.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Digital_Jesus posted:

I realize you're just a lovely posting gimmick but if you seriously believe the developers having a timeline for dropping old machine support and continual improvement projects for their MMO coming with pretty much every patch/expansion point is a bad thing then you should probably not play video games.

No you are totally right, telling a guy who wants to play a mmo now that its currently clunky and slow and poorly paced but that its not an issue because COME NEXT EXPANSION EVERYTHING WILL BE GREAT is very useful. The UI is still hot garbage for things like inventory management/ah/banking, there is still days of playtime being wasted on running all over the place for no good reason other than 2 years ago they needed some way to slow down progress.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2793113/

Its not like I have never played the game and have no idea

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sorry to all people playing FF14 on the PS3 but we have an announcement, you will no longer be able to play on the PS3. We will still accept your credit card payments.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Byolante posted:

No you are totally right, telling a guy who wants to play a mmo now that its currently clunky and slow and poorly paced but that its not an issue because COME NEXT EXPANSION EVERYTHING WILL BE GREAT is very useful. The UI is still hot garbage for things like inventory management/ah/banking, there is still days of playtime being wasted on running all over the place for no good reason other than 2 years ago they needed some way to slow down progress.

Hey, you've got some good points about the state of the game and are obviously familiar with it enough to have an intelligent opinion. You're also coming off like some kind of hyperbolic twerp that doesn't want an actual conversation, so it's hard to take you seriously.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Byolante posted:

That's cool but you're putting a lot of words in a lot of other people's mouths to be angry over in this. We told him to try the game because it fit what he was looking for to a T. We didn't tell him he's Hitler if he doesn't like it too.

Also lol how much do you like punching yourself in the dick with all those crafters leveled, no wonder you hated the game.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Thinking the next expansion will make the game instantaneously better is a staple for every themepark mmo. Lets be honest.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Arcland posted:

Thinking the next expansion will make the game instantaneously better is a staple for every themepark mmo. Lets be honest.

This is true but ignoring that aspect, at least in regards to FFXIV, for a moment the developers are using their expansion points as deadlines for removing things (like old console support) that hinder their ability to make changes to the game engine as a whole, not just promising that "THE NEXT CONTENTS GONNA BE GREAT GUYS YOU WAIT!"

I don't think anyone here so far has said that the game doesn't have flaws, or that some of them aren't tedious and/or bullshit, but we have pointed out that the developers have acknowledged a ton of those flaws and they do have a relative schedule for getting things turned around. In addition to that they've already made a ton of QoL improvements so there's no reason to assume they're not going to make good on their efforts to improve things people feel are sore points in an otherwise very good MMO.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If they fixed the inventory interface system I would probably come back, but the combination of how the bank/ah/helper system works is just mindbendingly terrible.

Its the pudgy puk, thats why I kept playing

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

What's up with the inventory?

My frequent problem is how the game prevents you from performing multiple actions seemingly for no reason, for example you can't cast spells or craft while sitting, or you can't change equipped gear while interacting with vendors, but in general I love the interface, even the extra confirmations because I'm an obsessive pedant. I haven't used ah but I think I heard it wasn't too good.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It kind of sucks that the option to view all four inventory tabs at once is buried in the mess of configuration menus; I spent weeks jumping between bags before I learned that was a thing. Same with the "Skip playback of previously viewed cutscenes" checkbox.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Chickenwing come play black desert with me, I'll have a boat tomorrow and we can go on boat adventures where no gay stuff will happen (maybe).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Digital_Jesus posted:

This is true but ignoring that aspect, at least in regards to FFXIV, for a moment the developers are using their expansion points as deadlines for removing things (like old console support) that hinder their ability to make changes to the game engine as a whole, not just promising that "THE NEXT CONTENTS GONNA BE GREAT GUYS YOU WAIT!"

I don't think anyone here so far has said that the game doesn't have flaws, or that some of them aren't tedious and/or bullshit, but we have pointed out that the developers have acknowledged a ton of those flaws and they do have a relative schedule for getting things turned around. In addition to that they've already made a ton of QoL improvements so there's no reason to assume they're not going to make good on their efforts to improve things people feel are sore points in an otherwise very good MMO.

Final Fantasy Fanatics. Name of the next expansion.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Is endgame crafting in FFXIV still a completely hosed gil/time sink with weekly currencies?

Crafting was so good before 3.0, then instead of just bigger numbers and new skills like PvE classes, mat requirements for 50+ recipes were hugely inflated, they added the stupid specialization stuff, changed good% at 60, and made gearing a turbogrind an order of magnitude greater than the 2.x patch.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Algid posted:

Is endgame crafting in FFXIV still a completely hosed gil/time sink with weekly currencies?

Crafting was so good before 3.0, then instead of just bigger numbers and new skills like PvE classes, mat requirements for 50+ recipes were hugely inflated, they added the stupid specialization stuff, changed good% at 60, and made gearing a turbogrind an order of magnitude greater than the 2.x patch.

Endgame crafting is still a huge gil sink. 3* items themselves are actually incredibly easy to make once you have the ability to produce them, but getting there currently will easily set you back twenty million gil plus on just getting one set crafted and melded on average luck.

Sucks, too, because the crafting system in the game is actually pretty neat. Don't bother until 3.3 (~2/3 months away) at the earliest if that's what you want to do in game, though.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Rhymenoserous posted:

Chickenwing come play black desert with me, I'll have a boat tomorrow and we can go on boat adventures where no gay stuff will happen (maybe).

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffmaybe

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
well i mean gay stuff can happen if you want, but we have to trick kincaid into playing as well.

no soths or guuldans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
and no johnny rahs either.

• Locked thread