Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

.wintermute posted:

This thread sold me on FFXIV. Going to get trial as soon as my gaming laptop arrives.

I tried to like FF14 but I kept literally falling asleep at my keyboard. Supposedly I didn't yet get to the "good part" (I made it to like level 15 or something) but that's my FF14 story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My favorite WoW-like is still Old Republic. Probably the only MMO I can still say I actually like. In my opinion the best thing to come out of Star Wars, if we're counting the KOTOR games

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 15, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Digital_Jesus posted:

4.0 Goodbye PS3

Why is this rumor circulating? A quick google shows this isn't true

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gawain The Blind posted:

Secret Woooooooorld!
On the other hand it's pretty much as far from WOW as you can get so YMMV.

Tab Targeting + Hotbar + Cooldown management = WoW in most peoples minds. So in that regard its pretty similar.

edit: Quote isn't edit, drat it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Droid Washington posted:

Are there any good super hero MMOs anymore? Should I play CO or DCUO?

DCUO is pretty decent, the worst part about it is that you basically have to buy like 12 expansion packs. You get to max level pretty quickly and then you do tiers of dungeons. It has the best implementation of super-speed in a game to date. I was really disappointed when it turned out that leveling a hero and a villain were basically identical, all the missions are the same they are just given to you buy a different person for a slightly different reason. If you happen to have a love for pre-52 DC Universe, then you are in luck because there's references everywhere.

CO is just loving terrible. If you cant find something to like in DCUO, there's no hope for liking CO.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 18, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shy posted:

Human humans is my preferred choice in MMOs because I'm creative and original.

There's also Bretons, which are also human-rear end humans. You don't have to pay to be them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zzulu posted:

I tried ESO right at launch and it felt stiff and boring and lovely and turdy

That's basically every MMO at launch

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I hated the WoW community. If someone ever told me they played WoW it was pretty much guaranteed we wouldn't get along. If you're still playing WoW then that's just sad. You looked at WoW and said "yup that's my forever game" thereby securing your blandness for all eternity. You can't even look good because all your armor is painted on to your body

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 25, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jimlit posted:

Is it as good as the old kotor's?

It's still an MMO so no. But it's pretty fuckin close in my opinion. You get to make tons of pointless moral choices which I love doing

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Cool there's a parade at 4:00 I'd like you to rain on, you in?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Degs posted:

There were a lot of bugs and issues in SWTOR that everyone could have ignored if the game didn't have input/animation delay. Can't interrupt heals cause of animation lock? Yeah that's the end of that game.

SWTOR is more popular now than its ever been. All of the WoW clones have surpassed WoW because WoW was never good. Rift, for instance, is a great WoW clone. People often use the sheer volume of content as somehow a selling point. It might be, except the vast majority of that precious content never gets played by anyone because it sucks and always sucked. It'd be like saying Doctor Who is the best show ever because it's been on the longest. Why would I ever watch another sci-fi show EVER AGAIN, there's just so much content! Except nobody thinks like that, but somehow the same logic is applied to WoW. Why would I ever play another first person shooter ever again, I've already unlocked everything in Call of Duty, etc

A rational person consumes the media and moves on, instead of trying to convince yourself that you need to find a media that you can consume forever

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Degs posted:

I mean...exactly? The media was consumed. How long did it take to clear all available content in any game since 2011?

You basically pointed out the lovely aspect of the genre. Mediocre gameplay tied to a long term hook. None of these games had long term hooks, though.

WoW didn't really have one either, it was just really good at convincing people it did.

And yes, Rift was the poo poo.

We are in agreement I think. My point was more directed towards the type of person that picks WoW because in 10 years your character will still be there. People skip newer MMOs out of the fear that at some point several years in the future, the game might shut down. I just think it's a very weird way to form an opinion about something.

Like I think it's totally okay to buy an MMO and just play the free month and be done with it. That seems completely reasonable to me. However I've noticed that when people are picking an MMO they are really trying to find a game that they can play literally forever

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I also think it's interesting and telling that the two most fan-beloved MMOs (City of Heroes and pre-CU SWG) are the ones that failed the hardest. If WoW suddenly shut down I don't think people would react as emotionally. I can't envision people being nostalgic about WoW in 10 years except to mock it

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 30, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You can't dye dungeon drops. Reason enough right there

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Some people hoard newspapers. Some people hoard MMO characters.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've done my fair share of dude levelin', even in single player games. The thing is, once I'm done with the game I don't really give a gently caress about my save file anymore. What am I going to do, just load up my save periodically to stroll down memory lane and look at all my stuff? No, I'm going to revisit it years later and start a new dude, only to put it down again one hour later because I suddenly remembered why I stopped playing in the first place, or until my nostalgia satisfies itself. That's why I think it's strange that someone would decide not to play a game because they hypothetically might not be able to play it at some point years in the future.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Lol at everyone wishing they could go back to quest givers in Guild War 2. Ya'll suck. The hearts are the same as quests dummies.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Yapping Eevee posted:

Reading comprehension, folks. :eng101:

But yeah, there's not been a single trace of that I've seen in all my time playing. Amazing for an MMO, I know.

Oh yeah like that's going to stop them. It's not like there's 12 year olds out there discovering this game for the first time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Thursday Next posted:

But the story itself is a basic children's-book story.

Most games are. Even ones acclaimed for their writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Brave New World posted:

:cawg: Ironic that the person that was actually looking for WoW's Pet Battle bullshit didn't even know it was a thing.

Pet Battling in WoW is insanely lame and lovely. Imagine Pokemon, now remove everything that makes Pokemon fun but keep a very basic monster battling system. I choose now to point and laugh at your ignorance. The game that he is looking for is called Shin Megami Tensei Online, except it no longer exists. It wasn't very good but it was still fun.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 8, 2016

• Locked thread