Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Man I so called it the QUEST WALL for the FF14 expansion was going to bite them in the rear end. You have to do 150 quests at max level to be able to play the expansion. LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

nopantsjack posted:

Final Fantasy is probably the best MMO at the moment but its an incredible timesink, you have to do all storyquests to progress which might sound fine but 70% of them are insultingly back and forth treks across the world maps to have a conversation.
You also have to do all the storyquests and basic dungeons for all patches (there were a bunch) in order to progress to the expansion content which is where the game gets good, which should "only" take about a day's solid grinding, skipping all cutscenes with a tank to group with.

I ended up getting to end level then quitting in frustration because its so close to a great MMO but all the grind is done to waste as much of your time as possible. Presentation and higher level PVE content are incredibly good though and their content releases put WoW to absolute shame.

e: someone above said that its designed from the ground up to waste your time and yeah pretty much, but in an interesting way, it has teleporting like GW2 but will put all story objectives as far as possible from a teleport point. It has flying and its rad but you have to run around every part of a zone and do quests and a dungeon, you will usually have outlevelled a zone at about the time you gain flying. It has new hunting logs for the expansion where you gain loads of exp and currency for killing select mobs allowing new players to quickly gain gear, but its gated by you completing all the hunting logs for the previous game.

Enjoy trying to be the 1% that actually does the hardest content in a game that has 1% of the subs as wow!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

A) "welfare" gear allows people to gear up and altswap and also increases the pool of potential raiding candidates, so it's a good thing for everyone regardless of what sperglords think
B) this post reads like a greatest hits of reasons why cataclysm's increased difficulty was mitigated for you

also ask blizzard how making GBS threads all over their LFR playerbase worked out in WoD. (it didn't at all)

Lol LFR gear looks like wet dog poo poo and Mythic gear makes you look like big dick man. Is that why they lost so many subs?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Furnaceface posted:

Someone hasnt played Wildstar yet.

No one plays Wildstar

I played Wildstar up to like lvl 15. I built up my house then did whatever the first dungeon was. I told the group I was new to the game and tanking and they called me a noob. Great playerbase.

I guess in their defense I started playing like a month after it came out?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Cataclysm was good. Magic pandaland was dumb.

WOW's problem going forward is that they have added so many layers to the game it is a literal black box now. "When a forest grows too wild a purging fire is inevitable and natural".

FF14 is giving away a free trial, the first act of a dying game.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 14, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Willias posted:

If WoW was still good, possibly? But it hasn't been for quite a while now. FF14:ARR is the first WoW-clone that I seriously thought was any good at the end game. Besides, there's a level of flashiness and style that FF14 has that WoW cannot match. Period.

Like the appeal of reading a novel with the most annoying and unspeakable names.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Arcland posted:

My issues with Heavensward was that it either has some bad design or it's limited by being on consoles. The two biggest being the awful GCD. Way to long inbetween attacks. And the loading screens inbetween zones.

They did make it a little better with the zones being like 5x the size from vanilla.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sorry to all people playing FF14 on the PS3 but we have an announcement, you will no longer be able to play on the PS3. We will still accept your credit card payments.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Digital_Jesus posted:

This is true but ignoring that aspect, at least in regards to FFXIV, for a moment the developers are using their expansion points as deadlines for removing things (like old console support) that hinder their ability to make changes to the game engine as a whole, not just promising that "THE NEXT CONTENTS GONNA BE GREAT GUYS YOU WAIT!"

I don't think anyone here so far has said that the game doesn't have flaws, or that some of them aren't tedious and/or bullshit, but we have pointed out that the developers have acknowledged a ton of those flaws and they do have a relative schedule for getting things turned around. In addition to that they've already made a ton of QoL improvements so there's no reason to assume they're not going to make good on their efforts to improve things people feel are sore points in an otherwise very good MMO.

Final Fantasy Fanatics. Name of the next expansion.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gawain The Blind posted:

Rift was so amazing at launch. I went back at some point after quitting for a while and just noped on out again. Everything suddenly got super easy and stupid. And they got rid of all the cool little things that made it unique in favor of moar lik WOW. And what the poo poo happened to my heal wizard while I was gone?

I too liked rift.

I was a mage in full platemail throwing flaming spears.

Rift was a lovely game. That's my story about rift.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jackard posted:

WAR had a lot of great stuff, shame they didn't give it enough time to cook.

Time would not of fixed WAR. They mega hosed up because Mythic can not balance games at all.

Through polls they figured that destruction side was going to be the side that everyone was going to want to be. So they fixed that by making all/most of the Order side classes vastly superior.

Order had at release access to moves that increase attack speed usually by 50%. They said 50% but in reality it chance to double hit, double hit means chance to double crit, it was brutal on Witchhunters and Ironbreakers. Destruction gained some attack speed buffs on some classes released much later but the damage was already done.

The Order knockbacks knocked players up and away, destruction knockbacks hit players back. This really doesn't seem like much but alot of pvp/bgs had a gently caress ton of cliffs into deadly lava, making order better at ring outs.

I think brightwizards were never nerfed, I played near the end and I leveled one purely in bgs killing 40s at lvl 31. Their whole thing was rolling a gently caress ton of dots on a target into a huge nuke and the longer your combo is the more damage you would do based on the brightwizards ability to explode.

Gearing loving sucked. You wanted to stack as many 2 set bonuses for your main stat, you would be running around with lvl 20 and 30 armor on for a long time at max level. A lot of people didn't really look into the stats leading it super bad setups. I want to say weapon top end was king also because how white attacks did a majority of the damage in the game for melee, even the classes without the attack speed boost. This would also lead to very funny situations with the Engineer, Magus, Squig Herder, and some elf bow guy classes, most of the time these were free kills for everyone because how almost none of the people who played them knew how to gear right to actually do damage. There were a rare number of people who could play them right.

So anyway, the game was released and destruction was super popular like they thought. Then the huge problem was known when Order could destroy the Destruction zergs with half numbers, due to their better skill sets. A lot quit the game and a lot switched to Order. Now Order was the popular side and the side with the better classes, the game bled subs for 2 years leading to massive server reduction. I want to say they could never super nerf Order just because they would lose so many subs at that point. This is also not to say destruction never won fights because they did. Coordinated groups could win fights, like in any game.

Don't worry they are making Camelot again as some final hurrah to fail at making MMOs when you have more options other than EQ and UO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Brave New World posted:

I found that Star Trek Online was everything that EVE should have been, at least regarding gameplay mechanics- and I say that as someone that's not even a fan of Star Trek. EVE has the shittiest UI and literally the most boring combat I've ever witnessed in a video game. I'd love to play a high intrigue politics/capitalism sandbox that has good controls and fun combat, but EVE definitely isn't it.

Nice orbit from 50m insult.

• Locked thread