Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Most MMOs out there are missing one of two things:

A) Sincerity.

B) Competence.

WoW is a technically proficient but soulless product. Guild Wars 2 has heart but has a content production rate that can be compared to water dripping off a stalactite for four long years followed by a tepidly received expansion. Truth be told they seem either understaffed or underfunded. Most likely both.

FF14 is the only MMO on the market I know of that isn't deficit in one or both. The game starts off slow and the long GCDs can be off putting at first, but you'll have no shortage of off GCD bullshit to weave between abilities by time your time. The game's slow pacing is in part due to the fact that FF14 largely assumes that the player has never played a tab-targeting WoW style MMORPG before. For a non-trivial part of it's audience, that is true. The rest of us just have to grin and bear it. The game also outputs content at a rate unheard of in the industry, 3.0->3.1 gap aside, and consistently good content at that. It's well worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Byolante posted:

With how the MMO market is now 160 hours of worthless 'leveling content', which is absolutely dire in ff14 is not worth the payoff of the game at the end of it, is way way too much and in itself a turnoff. It is mind boggling that Square didn't put in a way to skip everything between hitting 50 and starting heavensward but gently caress it they will pay and support it anyway because it has FF in the title and isn't as bad as the 1.0 launch.

Tbh the last thing I find myself thinking in an MMO is "drat there's too much content". We have people doing sync'd runs of Binding Coil just to experience a fascimile of the raid as it was. Some folks do similar poo poo with EX Primals. I can't blame them because they're still fun fights, the story does a goos job of hyping them up, and the music rules.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 9, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

The gating between hitting 50 and HW is garbage any way you look at it. Let people go back and do it on their own time, dont force them through it. It seriously made me quit with how tedious it was and youre vastly overselling the ease with which to get groups to do the harder parts can be. I was spending upwards of my whole playing sessions (40-50 minutes) just looking for groups.

Its a good game but its not without faults. The time sinks and gating show up quite often and are usually very blunt about what they are there for.

Let me guess you played on a backwater server and not on Excalibur with literally over a thousand goons who could have helped you deal with any of the two "harder parts" (the Chrysalis and Steps of Faith instances, each of which is like a six minute endeavor) in no time at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Byolante posted:

I love that the answer to every problem with ARR is that if you buy the base game, the current expansion and the expansion that might be out next year it will be a good game.

Alternatively, it's a pretty good game right now and the expectation is that lingering flaws will be addressed and it will become a better one for it :v:

• Locked thread