Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mr.PayDay posted:

Did you try Wildstar? It has many WoW elements but was "WoW-Killer" Number #8 that went f2p and lost like 3/4 of players after the ininitial hype.
SWTOR is a great story driven MMORPG, but I play it solo and revisit it every 2-3 months for a class Story.
Rift was fanatstic but maybe even too similiar to WoW.

Right now I play offline RPGs like Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning with DLCs (which is an amazing game, experience and timesink and had so much Potential, but mechanical flaws ) because beside WoW and SWTOR there are no MMORPGs that caught (or kept) my interest.
I still have my wow subscrition and wait for Legion.

You are a broken human being

Don't play ff14 if you are only jumping in now. You have literally 2 years of solo questing to do to even unlock the expansion content and a lot of it is dumb and unfun garbage, the highs are very high but the lows are very frequent. The interface is horrendous and the GCD is glacial, especially if you are already acclimated to WoW or even worse GW2.

WoW is bad and only getting worse

GW2 is great to play a month now then forget about and play a month next year

Anything made by koreans or chinese will be both pay2win and grindy as all gently caress

I haven't played TESO but it might be good I guess, I doubt it though.

People recommending project gorgon are the same sort of people that recommend shower with your dad simulator or EDF2097. Yes they love it but they also are mentally handicapped.

The best MMO is not playing an mmo because none of them are any good anymore. Either that or play destiny, its actually a lot less poo poo now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Digital_Jesus posted:

I can confirm you can take a character from brand new to endgame raiding ready in 160-ish hours of poopsocking. Took me less than 2 weeks.

With how the MMO market is now 160 hours of worthless 'leveling content', which is absolutely dire in ff14 is not worth the payoff of the game at the end of it, is way way too much and in itself a turnoff. It is mind boggling that Square didn't put in a way to skip everything between hitting 50 and starting heavensward but gently caress it they will pay and support it anyway because it has FF in the title and isn't as bad as the 1.0 launch.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

Tbh the last thing I find myself thinking in an MMO is "drat there's too much content". We have people doing sync'd runs of Binding Coil just to experience a fascimile of the raid as it was. Some folks do similar poo poo with EX Primals. I can't blame them because they're still fun fights, the story does a goos job of hyping them up, and the music rules.

I didn't say 'drat there is too much content' I said 'drat there is way to much filler bullshit stopping me from experiencing the expansion'. Obviously sitting through 100 hours of prereqs for raids nobody runs anymore is a valuable use of my gaming time. Imagine if you had to do the attunement chain for loving SSC and TK to be able to go to northrend.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Digital_Jesus posted:

Actually people run the raids drat near constantly and you can find a group for almost any pre-expac content in less than 10 minutes. SE constantly uses it for newer stuff in the expansion so theres always people going back to collect poo poo that starts dropping in the old world, and aside from the 2.4-2.55 fetchquest filler (which is getting fixed in 4.0) almost all of the MSQ content is relevant and unlocks poo poo you're gonna be doing anyway later?

As someone who flat out loving *hated* having to do the 2.4-2.55 portion of the MSQ to get into HW in retrospec its not that bad because it took like a whole 15 hours of my time. They've acknowledged its poo poo and plan to fix it, and its not like you need to re-do it every time you want to level a new class.

The vast majority of level 50 content is not useless though and plenty of people still do it on the reg, unlike most MMOs where when a raid tier is over that poo poo gets dustbinned into history and very few new players will ever see it again.

Really I hate leveling in almost all MMOs but it was pretty good in FFXIV.

Oh so its ok for the game to waste your life now because next expansion they are totes gonna fix it

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

Let me guess you played on a backwater server and not on Excalibur with literally over a thousand goons who could have helped you deal with any of the two "harder parts" (the Chrysalis and Steps of Faith instances, each of which is like a six minute endeavor) in no time at all.

Selling a mmo as worth playing when you need to say 'If you play on the highest pop english server and have a group to carry you through things then its really not that bad honest' is pretty loving hilarious. FF14 has really obvious and fatal flaws for anyone who hasn't been locked in and playing since 2.0 launch with a tolerance for a horrendous interface.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

LFR gear has different set bonuses that don't compare in the slightest with the real tier set bonuses. They did this because the hardcore raiders whined about having to do LFR, and then it turned out that they weren't that big of a portion of the playerbase and all the people who would just run lfr once a week left to go play something else because their toys were taken away.

This is on top of making normal harder and generally making GBS threads on the casual raiding audience. Not necessarily the LFR players, but the people who just wanted to get some buds together and kill internet dragons a few hours a week suddenly weren't good enough to raid through a combination of the lack of set bonuses from LFR, an increase in mechanical difficulty of bosses, and a huge step up in the length of boss fights.

Basically they listened to the people who thought like you wintermute and it turns out they don't make up enough of the audience for them to actually give a poo poo over.

edit: got confused over who said what, fixed

I would just like to point out that they have made this mistake twice and attempted to make it a third time but Ghostcrawler got bounced the gently caress out and went to cry about casuals ruining his pure design vision over at riot instead. At this point anyone advocating cutting stuff the casuals like because the poor widdle hardcores will go play something else are loving morons. Hardcore focused games fail

-Wildstar Failed
-Every sandbox pvp mmo failed

The people paying the bills are the ones who might do flex a few times a month. Taxing the casuals to pay for the elites is just crony capitalism in action and it hosed the real world and its no real shock it fucks up mmos too.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Digital_Jesus posted:

4.0 Goodbye PS3

I love that the answer to every problem with ARR is that if you buy the base game, the current expansion and the expansion that might be out next year it will be a good game.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shy posted:

How dare they fix things

saying 'this game might be good in the future!' isn't very useful when someone says 'I want to play a mmo now'

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Digital_Jesus posted:

I realize you're just a lovely posting gimmick but if you seriously believe the developers having a timeline for dropping old machine support and continual improvement projects for their MMO coming with pretty much every patch/expansion point is a bad thing then you should probably not play video games.

No you are totally right, telling a guy who wants to play a mmo now that its currently clunky and slow and poorly paced but that its not an issue because COME NEXT EXPANSION EVERYTHING WILL BE GREAT is very useful. The UI is still hot garbage for things like inventory management/ah/banking, there is still days of playtime being wasted on running all over the place for no good reason other than 2 years ago they needed some way to slow down progress.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2793113/

Its not like I have never played the game and have no idea

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If they fixed the inventory interface system I would probably come back, but the combination of how the bank/ah/helper system works is just mindbendingly terrible.

Its the pudgy puk, thats why I kept playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cao Ni Ma posted:

RIFT had a pretty solid basic UI when it released and it got better with the first few patches. FFXIV 2.0 had a great UI right out of the gate that lets you move everything, scale everything individually to your liking, etc.

BDO lets you scale things universally and there are things you cannot disable. It also has all those loving pop ups constantly blinking for whatever reason, yes I know I have skill points stop reminding me I'm not spending them for another like 5 levels.

Wow and GW2 are the only mmos I have seen that can handle 4k without making GBS threads on the rug and running for the exit. Most of FF14 works fine but there is no way to make text scale up to a readable size.

• Locked thread