Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ChickenWing posted:

I have particularly poor decision making skills and so once again find myself with the inexplicable desire to grind bear asses and cast magic missile into the darkness of my soul. However, upon cursory examination it would appear that all of the current generation of mmos are incredibly poo poo. I want something that I can play with MY FIANCEE fairly casually with at least pve content. I'm looking for an experience like WoW (I played during TFT/Cata, never managed to get around to raiding) in terms of dungeon content - fun, not a massive time sink except in ridiculous edge cases or if we REALLY want to, lots of items with word salad names and various colours that will indicate to me how long my internet penis is. So far I've discovered the following:

Blade and Soul: oh god the animeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i don't really know much other than I was anime flying for a little while and also a midget turned into a big fuckoff monster. If this has an inexplicably fun level grind and endgame I'd be open to it, as I have a couple friends already playing.

Black Desert Online: acceptable levels of anime, unacceptable levels of idiot UI, war crime levels of voice acting. Allegedly bleh pve endgame - not super interested in farmville, and i've already got EVE for my sandbox pvp fix

Archeage: :fuckoff:

Guild Wars 2: I'm hearing that the endgame PvE is probably the best in the industry, but also that it's incredibly bad and arenanet are terrible devs who never listen to their community? So far top pick, especially considering I already own the base game.

FFXIV
: I haven't managed to get much of a read on it, also it's expensive and requires a monthly fee which makes it somewhat less attractive. Also anime? What little I've heard about it suggests that it also may have best-in-industry PvE, so it's probably my second pick right now, especially considering that appears to be the primary focus, whereas GW2 is also preoccupied with esportsPvP

SWTOR: meh? I played it for a while but couldn't really sink my teeth into it. I'm not really looking for -too- much story, especially considering MY FIANCEE is of the "gently caress reading kill mobs" playstyle.

Go back to WoW?: Okay yeah this is the obvious solution but I'm looking for something fresher, prettier, etc. I'm willing to trade down a bit in terms of overall quality, as I'm sure by now Blizzard has optimized the quest > dungeon > gear > repeat cycle. I just want something that looks and feels good, and has solid gameplay underneath that is preferably vaguely challenging (in before "lol TFT wow wasn't challenging", go back to the part where I mentioned that I was a filthy casual).

To be honest, the closest a game has come to the feel I'm looking for was Rift, back around launch. I really dug into that game, up until I hit the mid-high-level lack of content that's sorta endemic to new MMOs. Plus all my friends left :smith:. However, it hit really close to the "pretty, intuitive gameplay, solid PvE" mark.

So, please feel free to change my mind on my established opinions or reveal to me something that I haven't looked at yet. I'm also open to games that are "coming soon" if they show promise.

Guild Wars 2 endgame PvE is extremely thin. Goons seem down on it because they have made some puzzling design decisions with it since the expansion came out. To top this, the updates have been sparse and community interaction has been left wanting. If you're wanting good PvE you're probably better off avoiding this one.

You shouldn't avoid Blade and Soul and Black Desert Online for the anime. You should avoid it because it's stuffed to the gills with the sort of unbearable grinding you only see in Korean MMOs.

If you want something WoW-like without specifically being WoW, your best bet is Final Fantasy 14 more than likely. There's less customization to be had in the classes compared to WoW (White mages, scholars, and Astrologists are always healers, no off spec/dps specs, ditto for tanks) but that's counteracted somewhat by the fact that one character can class change basically at will outside of combat, so you don't need half a dozen alts. You can level and advance fairly well with minimal time investment (doubly so if you or your lady play either a tank or healer, you can basically level on instant dungeon queues pretty quickly). There's a significant amount of dungeons and the endgame content is fairly easy to prep for once you hit max level. Endgame raiding is done in 8 man groups and you queue up one boss at a time with little/no trash fights, so the time commitment is less extreme compared to most MMO raids. The traditional PvE loot tredmill is there, but the grind is nowhere near as bad as B&S/BDO with maybe an exception for the mostly optional relic/anima weapons of which they are not required to do endgame stuff.

The Comedy option in this discussion is Project Gorgon for a number of reasons. It's in Alpha and also free for the time being, but the alpha jank comes along with it. The game itself is UGLY, but has some interesting design philosophy behind it. It's a PVE game and like FF14, you can swap your "class" basically at will. Where this differs is that the game is set up more like Guild Wars 1, except instead of classes, you have combat skills of which you have 2 active at any time, and can mix and match out of about 2 dozen total, including some really bizarre ones. Want to be a combat cow that uses psychoanalysis to befuddle enemies? You can do that. Want to be a barefisted brawler who cheats at 1v1 punchups by bringing his pet panther? Yeah, that's an option you can do. Want to go around milking the aforementioned combat cow so you can make cheese and get increase skill in eating said cheese? You guessed it. Big problem with the game aside from the fugly looks is that it is still an alpha and large swaths of the game are subject to change at pretty much any notice.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Willias posted:

I want to add to the long GCD comment you made earlier: Combat in FF14 kind of sucks below level 30. Dungeons don't throw many mechanics at you, and you don't have a lot of abilities to keep track of. This changes quickly as characters go from 30 to level 50, and the end game content is actually very punishing if you mess up your ability rotations and hit the wrong things at the wrong time. I'd even go as far to say that a single button press in FF14 matters significantly more than a single button press in WoW at the level cap (especially if you play a healer).

Edit: Examples of old max level content (things are actually crazier in the expansion, and in the actual raid dungeons): Titan EX Leviathan EX Shiva EX

If you go to the FFXIV thread and ask, someone can give you their recruit a friend code. If you input that code when you make your account you get a circlet that gives you like +25% exp between level 1 and 25 which makes the 1-30 slog significantly breezier.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mantees posted:

Guys, I am curious.
For those of you who suggested FFXIV to the OP: if he didn't say that he already played WOW and was looking for something new, would you still suggest him FFXIV, or tell him to go with WOW?

Absolutely. There was a hayday with WoW and it was basically TBC and WotLK. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that the WoW of today jumped the shark a while back.

There was a time I would of suggested WoW, but not anymore.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hurp Durp Master posted:

WoW is probably the game to play when Legion hits, but as an inbetween I think you'll have a good time with GW2.

What about WoW is changing for the better come Legion? Pretty much every WoW expansion has shifted emphasis wildly based on who was bitching the most during the expansion's run up time.

• Locked thread