Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Guild Wars 2: I'm hearing that the endgame PvE is probably the best in the industry, but also that it's incredibly bad and arenanet are terrible devs who never listen to their community? So far top pick, especially considering I already own the base game.

If you replace "Best" with "Virtually non existent and generally bad" then yes. It's the leveling that's best in the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I mean I'm going to be trying black desert and kincaid is currently playing the WoW trial if you want friendly faces 'wang.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'm pretty sure "Because it's not eve" will be the answer.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Let me guess you played on a backwater server and not on Excalibur with literally over a thousand goons who could have helped you deal with any of the two "harder parts" (the Chrysalis and Steps of Faith instances, each of which is like a six minute endeavor) in no time at all.

It's bad loving design regardless if there's a goon group perfectly willing to drag you through it.

It would be like forcing someone to raid molten core just to get to whatever raids are available in the latest expansion pack. Oh what that doesn't sound reasonable? Well it isn't reasonable just because it's your pet game either.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

zwdzk posted:

Black Desert Online is a Fun and Cool game

Yeah it's definitely drawn me in. A lot of what I like is my various goals have realistic ends. I've got a production line running right now that's going to end in a boat, and I'm thrilled about that.

I compare it to the only other sandbox that I have played recently (eve) and just realize that any "Worth Chasing" goal there is probably going to be the work of a year (Super/Titan) or take a bunch of grinding isk. Meanwhile my slaves Glorious Workers are doing all the work in BDO, and I just check in once a day to process the poo poo/send it to the next work house. And the bonus of getting a boat is having more loving money, unlike in say Eve where I'd just get a space coffin and never log in again.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Chickenwing come play black desert with me, I'll have a boat tomorrow and we can go on boat adventures where no gay stuff will happen (maybe).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
well i mean gay stuff can happen if you want, but we have to trick kincaid into playing as well.

no soths or guuldans.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
and no johnny rahs either.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tamayachi posted:

The best part of BnS was just hanging out in the first real town and ganking people that put on the PvP outfits without thinking it flags them because they didn't read the fine print.

Unfortunately the worst part was the rest of the game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'll say it again, black desert is the first MMO I've been excited to be playing in a while. I'm sure the late game is going to disappoint me as it's mostly PVP based and lol mmo pvp.

Coming from Bland and Soulless to a fully fleshed out MMO was weird, I was expecting another Korean garbage festival where the game is ridiculously bad but goons spoon it up because of oily anime tits. But no, this game is deep, complex, and I'll eventually get to kill these people:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I've played a metric fuckton of lovely MMOs, including a few in languages I cannot read or don't speak like Moonlight Blade in chinese and PSO2 in japanese. I played Age of Wushu and got past that UI, even. BDO's is so much worse that I couldn't make it past 5 minutes.

Is that enough of a picture of what I was expecting versus what I got?

It was annoying the poo poo out of me till I turned half of it off.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jairock posted:

EVE Online .... thats the only MMO which will take you on a roller coaster ride and grant you an experience which will be unmatched by any other mmo out there for years to come.

If you are wondering what the hell is EVE Online please check out this thread : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770359

Chickenwing is an eve player already.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I just can't do WoW anymore. Every time I play it the stints get shorter and shorter. I made it for the last two months of pandaria and something like two months of Burning Crusade 2.0 minus the burning part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thursday Next posted:

The story in SWToR is not even close to "great". I hear a lot of people espouse this opinion and it makes me sad to think that this is what passes for great writing. It's okay. The big deal is that it's a long personal story - which is cool, your decisions have some impact on the characters around you - that's fully voice-acted.

But the story itself is a basic children's-book story.

I played ToR for a month of so, and hated it for about half of that. The game was made as a time-waster MMO; instead of, say, loading directly into your ship, you needed to walk down a series of long corridors in which you couldn't mount or sprint. The whole thing was just designed to take as much of your time as possible. I remember when they went F2P they locked sprint away behind a paywall - not sure how much more blatant you can get that "yes, this game is designed to make you spend as much time as possible on it."

I'm sure things have changed by now, because people complained bitterly about it. I just strongly dislike obvious time-wasters in MMOs (grinding rep, running down corridors, farming lockboxes, etc). Which, in turn, means I don't like a lot of MMOs :)

It's good compared to the competition. Bioware gets all of it's chops on writing because the competition is still pretty much terrible.

• Locked thread