Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Our lawyers said it's because there's no clear legal path to letting private servers of a product we no longer offer exist. It's totally not because we alienated over half our player base in the span of two years and are completely desperate, nosiree :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Thursday Next posted:

ESO is actually a really good game that is very fun to play. It's a bad MMO, but it's a great single-player exploration game. Pretty much every race, class, and spec combo is viable (and really, really easy to change up on the fly), so you can be a Khajit sorcerer tank if you want to. You can play an orc healer rogue class if that's your thing.

If you play it like an MMO - race to quest hub, level as quickly as possible, look up a perfect build online - you will burn out and complain about it. If you wander around and find the neat poo poo they've put in various out-of-the-way places, you'll have fun.

That's my pitch: it's a bad MMO, but a fun game.

yeah but the appeal of Elder Scrolls games is really biased towards being able to facelift whatever parts you don't like and add wondrous new and innovative ideas, at least on the PC. the TES games since Morrowind really haven't been that deep or lasting in terms of vanilla content.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hey Chickenwing I'm maybe too late but FFXIV is real good and it's anime but the English script is mostly excellent, the music is consistently good, and there's so much to do that you and YOUR FIANCÉE will not burn through the content for a good long while. It has a free trial so it's also no risk to try it out.

Other comments: the GCD is slower than WoW but there are lots of off-GCD abilities to keep the rotation interesting. Most classes have a good mix of abilities and rotations are complicated without being stupid. All of tanking, healing and dps have engaging gameplay, and if you like a support-ish dps then bars and machanist do party buffs.

There are at least three different goon guilds on Excalibur, which is the busiest ustz server, and they're pretty consistently full of people willing to help out as you learn. If you're more into RP, most RP focused players congregate on Balmung although you've then got to often run around with general chat hidden as people like to ERP in open chat there.

the killer: ffxiv is literally 2009 wow with a pretty coat of paint and this will wear thinner and thinner the further you go

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

mallamp posted:

Did you mean

no it's a boring old MMO with generic class design and stupid quests that make you teleport all over the world for no reason and every 50 hours or so there's a nostalgic song you heard 20 years ago

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
help my browser double posted

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
you'll be happy after getting through the actual 364 quest gate to even touch expansion content and then the 100+ quests that come after that before you can raid or play with your friends outside of the awfully designed level sync system

spoilers: there are too many mandatory quests and they are all forgettable

ChickenWing posted:

I'm thinking when I play I might just start off with a dungeon regardless. MY FIANCEE isn't a huge fan of running all across hell's half acre not killing things.
ffxiv is p much made of what your wife hates

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

mallamp posted:

Well if you are "endgame endgame endgame!!!!111" person FFXIV will be probably be miserable experience anyway. For some, mainquest is the reason to play and running dungeons is just a way to continue the story

it was a miserable experience because you are forced to run lazy copy paste quests with design from 8 years ago. it's not because they exist or because of endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Zero. posted:

Now Im curious: if its that bad, how does the game keep its playbase somewhat active? Surely there have to some raids or something

Squeenix has never released accurate numbers beyond "we have 5 million accounts guys! 5 million whole accounts!". They fudge PR and news a lot to make the game seem much more popular than it is, and considering their level sync stuff pulls in all players their queue times are still really bad. I'd be surprised if it had much over 1 million subs.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Thunderbro may have some pretty antagnostic posts but it's funny how everyone always shits all over him instead of the points he's making

That's just because they're accurate criticisms, down to an exactly specific number. Calling someone obsessive or an rear end in a top hat is really the only retort left.

• Locked thread