Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Guild Wars 2 has endgame PVE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

I'm actually not too fussed about chainrunning dungeons, as they're basically my favourite part of MMOing - do the main story becuase ~plot~, do dungeons for fast leveling and fat loot

Someone weigh in on this though, because while I can handle paying one's dues to get the endgame, I do want to actually end up there at some point. I'm not worried about top-tier raiding, but I'd like to at least hit a point where maybe I could be considered for entry level raiding or whatever.

FF14 is cool and good but you have to do the linear story and its like 100 hours of pointless poo poo before you can unlock like the current raids or whatever. It's cool if you do it when it's current but you get to the point where if you run a few dungeons (since the daily bonus is so large, you'll want to) you end up like 5 levels ahead of your current story-line quest, and if you do any of the nearby sidequests you get even farther ahead of it.

That's not necessarily a bad thing (because it makes leveling pretty fast) but you just get to the point where you're doing nothing but running around for the main story, killing poo poo 5 levels below you and the quests are like, "go here kill 5 mobs bring me 1 rock" for 80 hours. Hitting the old, pre-expansion level cap and having to do all of that content before you can go to the expansion is stupid.

It's a good game but the linear story is a drag - not because the story is bad (if you like FF it's fine), but because you have to do 100% of it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
WoW peaked in WoTLK when they still had pre-established lore from the RTS series to go on but Mists of Pandaria was actually really, really good. Everything about Cata and the year of Dragon Soul was pretty poo poo tbh.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The GCD in FF14 is fine, it just sucks for the first 30-40 levels when you have like 3 abilities, which is why it gets a lot of hate. Later when you have a lot of off-GCD abilities/cooldowns/cross-class skills it's much better.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I really wanted to like the original Dragon's Dogma but the travel bummed me out. Teleport reagents cost like 12000g and running anywhere took forever.

On one quest I ran like 15 minutes out to some tower, or something, and on the way a cyclops/giant was blocking a road up a mountainside. So I decide to fight him, I'm doing my rogue-y thing, climbing around on his back stabbing him and he grabs me, turns towards the cliffside, walks like 5 feet towards it and throws me off.

I probably should've seen it coming but it was annoying because it took so long to get where I was going. In any other game, that would've been awesome. Instead, I was treated to another 15 minute run back to the quest I was doing. I think I shelved the game at that point.

My friends swear that the DLC fixed a lot of the issues with the game, including making port reagents super cheap, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend another $40 on DD to give it a chance.

e: anyway uh I guess the moral of the story is that DD might be good now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Guild Wars 2 was a lot of fun until you got to the end game and the only content was progressively harder dungeons in a game with no real tanks or healers or any semblance of a sane agro/threat system.

Every once in a while I try to go back and level a new character to see content I haven't done but then I realize there is no end-game and I give up.

• Locked thread