Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Did the MMO genre die? Are there even any cool new MMO's in development

No but no one needs new mmos constantly, it just doesn't make sense since the genre is about longterm investments
We have ESO, FFXIV, WoW (very alive despite being poo poo), EVE etc. the genre is doing well but there's just no need to oversaturate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

ESO and FFXIV are what youre looking for then.
I don't think the world needs all the Rifts and Aions and Wildstars that die within year from release, I'd rather see one good mmorpg launch every few years.. 2007-2010 was epic time with so many mmorpgs alive at the same time but that boat has sailed, there just aren't enough mmorpg players to support that anymore

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Only thing worse than current WoW is re-grinding old WoW on private servers, please don't do that if you are even moderately functional human being

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've done my fair share of dude levelin', even in single player games. The thing is, once I'm done with the game I don't really give a gently caress about my save file anymore. What am I going to do, just load up my save periodically to stroll down memory lane and look at all my stuff? No, I'm going to revisit it years later and start a new dude, only to put it down again one hour later because I suddenly remembered why I stopped playing in the first place, or until my nostalgia satisfies itself. That's why I think it's strange that someone would decide not to play a game because they hypothetically might not be able to play it at some point years in the future.

That logic applies to fun games not mmorpgs like wow where you repeat same things for hundreds of hours to brag about the result

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Did you mean

Thunderbro posted:

the winner: ffxiv is literally 2009 wow with better story, random Japanese anime things, and nobuo uematsu soundtrack

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Thunderbro posted:

no it's a boring old MMO with generic class design and stupid quests that make you teleport all over the world for no reason and every 50 hours or so there's a nostalgic song you heard 20 years ago

Yes that's definitely bad part of the game, constant teleporting. At least you can teleport though. And I also agree it has oldschool feel, but I also think that out of the mmorpgs with oldschool feel (WoW-school) it's the best one. Subbing once or twice a year to get a fix of that isn't the worst idea (game is updated 4 times a year). And before you get to that point you have solid 2-4 months of FF story, yes with the drawback of ridiculous amount of running around, but also amazing amount of cutscenes,

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Anime improves everything if youre a nerd
If you arent a nerd you probably shouldnt be dabbling with mmorpgs

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

there's non-anime mmorpgs
Sure, but variety is spice of life, sometimes you want anime and play FFXIV, sometimes you want grimdark and you play ESO

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Hi Kalenn I actually decided on FFXIV really early and wasn't disappointed, it's basically been scratching the exact itch I wanted. My only problem with it is that I'm not outlevelling the MSQ and so there's no excuse for me to be doing dungeons at literally all times.

Are you doing sidequests? You should outlevel msq pretty easily if you want to

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Sidequests can be fun too and some of them give pets and stuff, but if you prefer dungeons remember to use the roulette! It gives half a level a day almost all the way to 50 I think

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

You'll be happy at level 50 when you unlock like 12 dungeons and can level to like 53 just running them once, if you buy Heavensward that is. Personally I find most ffxiv dungeons bit boring but trials own

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Well if you are "endgame endgame endgame!!!!111" person FFXIV will be probably be miserable experience anyway. For some, mainquest is the reason to play and running dungeons is just a way to continue the story

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

On ps4 something like 30-40% have completed the realm reborn trophy for finishing mainstory, some of those have probably quit and I'm pretty sure most don't play all year around so let's halve it, maybe something like 10-20% of playerbase is active at same time. This is really lovely math but I think 500k-million is decent guess. Levelsync is genious feature though, it unites poopsockers who love to repeat content and singleplayer single-run dudes beautifully. Queues are always ok and it's nice singleplayer experience.

That said, I find ESO much more exciting singleplayer mmorpg experience. You really feel like exploring and stuff, FFXIV is more of a way to get WoW nostalgy fill and anime fill from same source one or two months a year. I'm pretty excited for No Mans Sky, even though it's not mmorpg it will probably do same thing as ESO for me. FFXIV I'm burned out on atm but definitely ready to come back at some point

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Either ive grown out of them, or mmos are all pretty lovely these days

Mmos have always been bad. But they make you feel like you're achieving things which can be therapeutic in some life situations

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

When your mmorpg requests get that specific it's time to just mmorpgs and not play mmorpgs
I seesame thing on fantasy forums "looking for fantasy books with no magic and mc who collects butterflies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

ArtIsResistance posted:

You post on fantasy forums... good information for next time I have a posting battle

Not really :shrug: Used to, but I'm kind of over it

• Locked thread