Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Jackard posted:

More likely your patience for this crap finally ran out
That's likely the case for a lot of people. That said, the ubiquitous complaint I keep hearing about BDO is "lovely UI". You can usually trust the zeitgeist on these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Jairock posted:

EVE Online .... thats the only MMO which will take you on a roller coaster ride and grant you an experience which will be unmatched by any other mmo out there for years to come.

If you are wondering what the hell is EVE Online please check out this thread : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770359

I found that Star Trek Online was everything that EVE should have been, at least regarding gameplay mechanics- and I say that as someone that's not even a fan of Star Trek. EVE has the shittiest UI and literally the most boring combat I've ever witnessed in a video game. I'd love to play a high intrigue politics/capitalism sandbox that has good controls and fun combat, but EVE definitely isn't it.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Brave New World posted:

EVE has the shittiest UI and literally the most boring combat I've ever witnessed in a video game.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

DCUO is pretty decent, the worst part about it is that you basically have to buy like 12 expansion packs. You get to max level pretty quickly and then you do tiers of dungeons. It has the best implementation of super-speed in a game to date. I was really disappointed when it turned out that leveling a hero and a villain were basically identical, all the missions are the same they are just given to you buy a different person for a slightly different reason. If you happen to have a love for pre-52 DC Universe, then you are in luck because there's references everywhere.

CO is just loving terrible. If you cant find something to like in DCUO, there's no hope for liking CO.

...Which is nothing more than your personal opinion.

Most of the refugees from City of Heroes/Villains aren't satisfied with either option, but Champions gets less hate than DCUO. CO is far from perfect, but it's the primary go-to for ex-CoX players looking for a superhero fix. Building a Free Form character(any power from any set) trumps being stuck to an ArchType, but experiencing Free Form requires $15 a month due to their poorly-conceived F2P model.

One thing CO completely owns DCUO on is character customization. CO does it like CoX did with a system that has incredible depth.

Don't take some random goon's word for it, play both and decide for yourself.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

I just can't do WoW anymore. Every time I play it the stints get shorter and shorter. I made it for the last two months of pandaria and something like two months of Burning Crusade 2.0 minus the burning part.

A lot of the people that still want to play WoW are doing so on private servers. Some of them are really big and really professional at this point.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

But then you risk financial/legal stability. If I'm gonna invest a thousand hours into something, I'd like it to be around 5 years from now.
There are a lot of misconceptions about private servers.
No player would ever be in the slightest bit of legal trouble for playing on a private server. Ever. It's possible that the people running a private server could be in trouble, but not ordinary players. And the vast majority of them are completely free.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Playing MMOS is work no matter how you put it, so it isn't unreasonable to be nervous about everything suddenly being deleted one day. It is fun work that you can do with your buds but it is still work regardless
As someone who's favorite game was City of Heroes/Villains, I'm already completely prepared for this eventuality. Way more than most people are. SWG fans know what I'm talking about. All of these games are going to close someday, and pray that each one does when you no longer give a poo poo if they do.

11/30/12 NEVER FORGET

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 26, 2016

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I'm definitely going to play TOR at some point cause I hear the story is great and I'm a huge fan of both Star Wars and old school BioWare, but is it really true that the game is pathetically easy? Is it really as faceroll as I've been hearing?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Last I played it was pretty easy, but then again you say you're a fan of Bioware and I've found almost all Bioware games pretty easy.

But compared to other MMOs, how bad are we talking? I realize that's vague, varies from game to game and there's always that guy that has to whip his Epeen around "lol mmos aren't hard".

I used to play LotRO, and they dumbed their combat down to the extent that people reported that they actually defeated mobs while they were literally AFK. Some of the TOR chatter almost sounds that bad. I going to check it our anyway, so it's a moot point, but it still sucks if true.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I have zero interest in playing it myself, but FFXIV is clearly extremely popular everywhere that people talk about MMOs. I wouldn't have any doubts over someone saying it's got 500k-1m somewhat regular players, and that would firmly put it at #2 after WoW if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
:cawg: Ironic that the person that was actually looking for WoW's Pet Battle bullshit didn't even know it was a thing.

• Locked thread