Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

But then you risk financial/legal stability. If I'm gonna invest a thousand hours into something, I'd like it to be around 5 years from now.

Starting over is fun, so it aint that big of a deal. All of the hundreds/thousands of hours you put into Blizzard-server WoW raiding is worthless when a new expansion comes out as well, and people still enjoy it.

Mung Dynasty posted:

I continue to play MMOs because there doesn't seem to be too many other 3D third-person RPGs that offer an open world mixed with the ability to make a customized avatar from a selection of varied races and mix it with a selection of varied classes.

There's like... Skyrim and Dragon Age and I guess Fallout.

So keep the lovely MMOs coming, IMO.

Go play Dragon's Dogma if you haven't imo. It is the best video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

I've seen people talking up the ability to participate in your friends' personal story events in GW2 as a selling point.

My small group (~5ish people) is trying to decide between WoW, GW2, and FFXIV.

The idea is to play everything together, completely blind -- no walkthroughs, no random pub group dragging us through dungeons. Sub-optimal builds? Poor equipment choices? That's fine -- we're not planning to push endgame content.

We've all played WoW before, but we all stopped before Cataclysm, so I think most everything will be new to us. Only one of us has played FFXIV, and none of us have touched GW2.

I'm personally leaning more toward WoW because of the sheer amount of content available, but would another game be better for this type of play?

I like GW2, but the personal story is almost certainly the worst content in the entire game and should definitely not be considered a selling point in any way. The criticism everyone is throwing at GW2 here is also all completely valid.

Have you guys considered GW1? It's a bit less of a traditional MMO, but there's a whole lot of fun content to be had going through the 4 campaigns (the latter half of the original campaign is kinda bad though). Outside of the beginner areas which are limited to 4-6 players, the game requires 8 people, but you can fill out open slots with premade NPC mercenaries or customizable NPC heroes who do their jobs quite well if you give them skills that make sense. Better than humans at some roles, to be honest. I like it a lot more than the sequel overall.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 21, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I guess I want an MMO without the RPG.

Planetside 2 was pretty good before it became a ghost town.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

As of the writing of this post, there are... 2809 players online. That's pretty normal for this time of day.

what percentage of these players are currently engaged in furry ERPing

• Locked thread