Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Guild wars 2 did really have the strangest quest system I have ever seen. I get that most people don't read the quest text, but showing up in a new area to have a bunch of tasks assigned to you, then having the reward mailed to you had such a bizarre disconnection from the world compared to the traditional quest giver method

Yeah i liked this in GW2. But it makes sense. You would normally end up talking to the quest giver at some point. So rather than the 'kill 10 orcs',
'ive killed about 50 on the way here'
'thats nice, kill 10 orcs.'

Its more like.
'Kill 10 orcs'
'Oh, ive killed about 30 on my way here.'
'Oh good, here's a reward.'

I played a staff necro as my main. Which was fun. What killed GW2 for me was the leaderboards in the Fractals. I enjoyed doing them a lot, managed to get to 50 before they opened 50 up and always just hooked up with randoms. I didnt mind if the run took 2 hours or 40 mins. But as soon as leaderboards hit it was almost impossible to stay in a party as a staff necro.

(asura necro in hot pink wielding the bifrost. I've actually had people talk poo poo about my fashion choices...)

I got dumped from a group once and then rejoined about an hour and a half later when they were wiping on the lava stage boss and someone left. We got the boss down to a sliver of hp on the first try and i stopped ressing/assisting. All 4 of the others were dead. I typed, you guys suck, and stood in a lava pool.

loving lol.

My wh was full of the fractal weapons (when it dropped weapons and not skins) and so many useless rings.

Oh, begging a friend from another server to log their mes on and cheat me through the jumping puzzles was probably my next best thing. She was really good at them and i had trouble with the tree one....

If they ever fixed fractals id probably go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Zero. posted:

When was the last time you checked? They changed a couple of things in regards to fractals but I dont know what you're looking for. Technically you're still running the same fractals but on the higher difficulties (75+) they can actually get challenging and even if they are boring as gently caress the rewards were polished as well and are somewhat worth it now. There's even a legendary fractal backpiece now which does not look like total garbage.
If you're looking for a higher difficulty you could check out raids they arent too bad either.

I quit when that stupid woman was the main boss that kept coming back. Just after her nightmare forest story line. (so a while). As for fractals, can you get a pug group as any class again?

Most dungeons sucked. Unless you had a group of friends your group would whinge and whine if a 2 hour dungeon took longer than 11 minutes.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Morglon posted:

Scarlett was the loving worst.

thing was i dropped out for a few months and came back and she was still the event. i didnt mind some fo the alt leveling side bits, but yeah, she sucked.

Have they rebuilt lions whatever? the main city?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

I tried the FFXIV free trial and was unsold on it pretty might right away when I noticed there was lag on ability use. I played Guild Wars 2 beforehand and all your abilities begin right when you push the button there, so it's pretty jarring having to go back to that old antiquated way of doing things. I heard there used to be lag on almost everything in FFXIV because they had server side checks for things as mundane as opening a menu before the they remade the entire game.

i bought the special edition of version 1. I logged in 3 times and rage quit 3 times. Its the only mmo i ever rage quit from. And it was the lag and terrible menu fuckery. It was released on pc but was hard coded to run on a controller with 4 buttons. They were talking about how super easy it was to switch classes mid combat and even had debuffs for doing so. Yet it took longer to swap out a weapon and change class in FFXIV than it took me to soe, run to the wh, drop my gear/get my gear, run to the class master and swap classes and then get a gatechant/summon back in lineage 2.

Holy gently caress it was bad.

Then when they finally gave up on 1.0 and gave out the free 2.0 i didnt even download it.

I played a 2 week free trial of it last year and wasnt too impressed. It was boring. But i do have friends that do do the sub for a month or two a year thing. Though most of them now just roll a new email account and do a 2 week free trial for half a week.

Either ive grown out of them, or mmos are all pretty lovely these days

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive got a friend on steam that is in RoI. He is having a blast playing pokemon and collecting all the mounts.

I used to play venomancer in perfect world. I think once of the reasons i stopped was (well apart from the new races that made my class obsolete) was the rare poo poo you could collect. Of course there was always a 120 or something retarded venomancer there that would single hit kill the piece of poo poo as soon as it spawned if anyone else showed up to try tame it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ShadowMoo posted:

Downloading Riders right now because I am bored.

Edit:
God this game sucks. It cash shops to the point of either paying for a rezz or waiting 5 minutes.

you're kidding right?

• Locked thread