Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I have particularly poor decision making skills and so once again find myself with the inexplicable desire to grind bear asses and cast magic missile into the darkness of my soul. However, upon cursory examination it would appear that all of the current generation of mmos are incredibly poo poo. I want something that I can play with MY FIANCEE fairly casually with at least pve content. I'm looking for an experience like WoW (I played during TFT/Cata, never managed to get around to raiding) in terms of dungeon content - fun, not a massive time sink except in ridiculous edge cases or if we REALLY want to, lots of items with word salad names and various colours that will indicate to me how long my internet penis is. So far I've discovered the following:

Blade and Soul: oh god the animeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i don't really know much other than I was anime flying for a little while and also a midget turned into a big fuckoff monster. If this has an inexplicably fun level grind and endgame I'd be open to it, as I have a couple friends already playing.

Black Desert Online: acceptable levels of anime, unacceptable levels of idiot UI, war crime levels of voice acting. Allegedly bleh pve endgame - not super interested in farmville, and i've already got EVE for my sandbox pvp fix

Archeage: :fuckoff:

Guild Wars 2: I'm hearing that the endgame PvE is probably the best in the industry, but also that it's incredibly bad and arenanet are terrible devs who never listen to their community? So far top pick, especially considering I already own the base game.

FFXIV
: I haven't managed to get much of a read on it, also it's expensive and requires a monthly fee which makes it somewhat less attractive. Also anime? What little I've heard about it suggests that it also may have best-in-industry PvE, so it's probably my second pick right now, especially considering that appears to be the primary focus, whereas GW2 is also preoccupied with esportsPvP

SWTOR: meh? I played it for a while but couldn't really sink my teeth into it. I'm not really looking for -too- much story, especially considering MY FIANCEE is of the "gently caress reading kill mobs" playstyle.

Go back to WoW?: Okay yeah this is the obvious solution but I'm looking for something fresher, prettier, etc. I'm willing to trade down a bit in terms of overall quality, as I'm sure by now Blizzard has optimized the quest > dungeon > gear > repeat cycle. I just want something that looks and feels good, and has solid gameplay underneath that is preferably vaguely challenging (in before "lol TFT wow wasn't challenging", go back to the part where I mentioned that I was a filthy casual).

To be honest, the closest a game has come to the feel I'm looking for was Rift, back around launch. I really dug into that game, up until I hit the mid-high-level lack of content that's sorta endemic to new MMOs. Plus all my friends left :smith:. However, it hit really close to the "pretty, intuitive gameplay, solid PvE" mark.

So, please feel free to change my mind on my established opinions or reveal to me something that I haven't looked at yet. I'm also open to games that are "coming soon" if they show promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

suuma posted:

Guild Wars 2 has endgame PVE?

allegedly

El Generico posted:

Yeah probably play 14

I'm starting to hear a lot of this, although I've been warned that the combat is a little slow-paced, long GCDs and cast times and whatnot

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tanners posted:

You could always try to check out some WoW private servers. They certainly wont be prettier than Wrath era WoW, but youll get to experience content you may have missed out from before then. Additionally theres the perk of them being free. If youre interested in Vanilla at all theres a couple decent ones available, and a Burning Crusade one is set to drop later next month.

If you played WoW and are looking for a WoW-like itch, nothing really does it better than WoW itself.

e: someone mentioned Project Gorgon in here earlier and I wanna second that that game is amazing, if a little ugly.

I have a wow-like itch but a powerful aversion to wow itself. Basically I'm not interested in any of the free oldschool private wow/everquest/warhammer/whatever servers.

Furnaceface posted:

FFXIV is great but gets grindy as hell due to the gating system around the main story and some odd levels where you can actually run out of quests, forcing you to chain run dungeons to move on. The amount of hoops you need to jump through just to get from base game to expansion content ended up driving me away since it just gets harder and harder to find people doing the old content. Yda and Papalymo were awesome though so Id at least recommend getting through the base story if you chose the game.

I'm actually not too fussed about chainrunning dungeons, as they're basically my favourite part of MMOing - do the main story becuase ~plot~, do dungeons for fast leveling and fat loot

Byolante posted:

Don't play ff14 if you are only jumping in now. You have literally 2 years of solo questing to do to even unlock the expansion content and a lot of it is dumb and unfun garbage, the highs are very high but the lows are very frequent. The interface is horrendous and the GCD is glacial, especially if you are already acclimated to WoW or even worse GW2.

Someone weigh in on this though, because while I can handle paying one's dues to get the endgame, I do want to actually end up there at some point. I'm not worried about top-tier raiding, but I'd like to at least hit a point where maybe I could be considered for entry level raiding or whatever.

Byolante posted:

People recommending project gorgon are the same sort of people that recommend shower with your dad simulator or EDF2097. Yes they love it but they also are mentally handicapped.

Yeah I figured. I've never been much for ironically fun games.

Mr.PayDay posted:

Did you try Wildstar? It has many WoW elements but was "WoW-Killer" Number #8 that went f2p and lost like 3/4 of players after the ininitial hype.
SWTOR is a great story driven MMORPG, but I play it solo and revisit it every 2-3 months for a class Story.
Rift was fanatstic but maybe even too similiar to WoW.

Right now I play offline RPGs like Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning with DLCs (which is an amazing game, experience and timesink and had so much Potential, but mechanical flaws ) because beside WoW and SWTOR there are no MMORPGs that caught (or kept) my interest.
I still have my wow subscrition and wait for Legion.

:catdrugs:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Okay that sounds suboptimal, but not dealbreaking and probably way less awful than literally everything else.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

kincaid is currently playing the WoW trial

jesus why :stonk:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

I can confirm you can take a character from brand new to endgame raiding ready in 160-ish hours of poopsocking. Took me less than 2 weeks.

nerd

at this point I think I'm going for the anime catgirl game, as it appears to be the closest thing to what I want.

someone make an mmo with gw2's levelling and wow's dungeons tia

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

-Troika- posted:

Try a 30 day EVE Online trial. You will either enjoy it, or realize you don't hate life quite that much and go outside more often henceforth.

http://evewho.com/pilot/Chicken+Wing

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Ffxiv trial status: I killed a bunch of squirrels and did chores for random assholes. Exactly what I was expecting and looking for 10/10

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

.wintermute posted:

The thing that drove me away from WoW was Cataclysm, when Blizzard finally turned what previously felt as an achievement into "get your free daily epics" pinata.

e: I actually look forward to play a game where I can feel that I have achieved something and wasn't just served ready on a plate.

u wot

Cata stepped up the heroics difficulty hardcore. I never actually finished Grim Batol.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

i mean just lol if you let casuals experience any content, really

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Admittedly, I had pretty specific criteria and FFXIV fits them to a T. If you just want something "new", I'd say add a bit of breadth to your search. Despite being a pedo simulator, Tera was a really fun game because of how active it was. EVE is great for getting your blood pumping, and is still an experience unlike any other on the market. Black Desert allegedly fills the "sandbox pvp focused endgame" niche. Guild Wars 2 had a great levelling experience and I guess maybe there's good pvp or something?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I wouldn't recommend Black Desert until the game is optimized and the UX isn't so awful.

I've been told repeatedly and at length that the UI is very customizable and it's possible to make it not utter rear end.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Absolutely. There was a hayday with WoW and it was basically TBC and WotLK. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that the WoW of today jumped the shark a while back.

There was a time I would of suggested WoW, but not anymore.

Yeah, I think casual WoW peaked in WotLK (I'm king casual of pubbie mountain and even I got to muck around with raid content), and WoW in general peaked in Cata. Pandas were the first step on the road to darkness

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Man I don't know if it's just because I've not been playing a lot of MMOs lately or what, but I really don't find the GCD in FFXIV to be all that bad.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Chickenwing come play black desert with me, I'll have a boat tomorrow and we can go on boat adventures where no gay stuff will happen (maybe).

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffmaybe

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Gawain The Blind posted:

Secret Woooooooorld!

The best worst game you will be disappointed with! Marvel at how awesome it could have been if funcom wasn't terrible! It's the game you desperately want to be amazing, but which always falls short in some way. Nevertheless, you will get to shoot cthulhu in the dick with a shotgun and that can't be understated. On the other hand it's pretty much as far from WOW as you can get so YMMV.

If you give me your steam account, I'll give you a free copy! I'm like the secret world version of Santa, and I'll fill your stocking with sadness and apathy!

Rift was so amazing at launch. I went back at some point after quitting for a while and just noped on out again. Everything suddenly got super easy and stupid. And they got rid of all the cool little things that made it unique in favor of moar lik WOW. And what the poo poo happened to my heal wizard while I was gone?

edit: "stocking"

I actually tried TSW. It didn't click. I don't recall why, I just recall suddenly playing other things. Thanks for the offer though!

I really loving loved Rift at launch, enough that I convinced all my friends to pick it up because I was turbosperging about how much fun I was having. The problem was we all hit the late midgame content desert and went "well this is poo poo" and then I think we went back to wow.

Bladedancer was really fun

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

The UI is assy garbage, but the voice acting was worse.

holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that voice acting

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

The game's two redeeming features, as seen in my 30 min playtime, are that it's loving -gorgeous- and the combat feels good.

Gawain The Blind posted:

The UI was terrible, but not in a "I need to move this poo poo around" kind of way, more in a "what the gently caress is even happening right now" kind of way. I felt like I was playing a game written by moon people for other moon people. Maybe i'm just old but at one point I just gave up trying to understand what was going on and what the numbers meant and just did my best to survive. Maybe that's the point. Maybe its an epic meta game about how Americans are terrible at math.

This is incredibly accurate. It's amazing that, in a world where WoW and its UI addons exist, people have not figured out how to make a loving intuitive-by-default UI.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Brave New World posted:

I found that Star Trek Online was everything that EVE should have been, at least regarding gameplay mechanics- and I say that as someone that's not even a fan of Star Trek. EVE has the shittiest UI and literally the most boring combat I've ever witnessed in a video game. I'd love to play a high intrigue politics/capitalism sandbox that has good controls and fun combat, but EVE definitely isn't it.

what

sto was so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

BromanderData posted:

Also hi chicken wing

hi bromander :3:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I didn't mind doing 0-80 in wrath, it wasn't really that bad. Didn't mind 0-85 in cata either.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hey Chickenwing I'm maybe too late but FFXIV is real good and it's anime but the English script is mostly excellent, the music is consistently good, and there's so much to do that you and YOUR FIANCÉE will not burn through the content for a good long while. It has a free trial so it's also no risk to try it out.

Other comments: the GCD is slower than WoW but there are lots of off-GCD abilities to keep the rotation interesting. Most classes have a good mix of abilities and rotations are complicated without being stupid. All of tanking, healing and dps have engaging gameplay, and if you like a support-ish dps then bars and machanist do party buffs.

There are at least three different goon guilds on Excalibur, which is the busiest ustz server, and they're pretty consistently full of people willing to help out as you learn. If you're more into RP, most RP focused players congregate on Balmung although you've then got to often run around with general chat hidden as people like to ERP in open chat there.

Hi Kalenn I actually decided on FFXIV really early and wasn't disappointed, it's basically been scratching the exact itch I wanted. My only problem with it is that I'm not outlevelling the MSQ and so there's no excuse for me to be doing dungeons at literally all times.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

mallamp posted:

Are you doing sidequests? You should outlevel msq pretty easily if you want to

I'm also going reeeeeeeeeeeallly slow. I stopped doing sidequests like 7 levels ago but I'm only like level 25 so v:v:v

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

mallamp posted:

Sidequests can be fun too and some of them give pets and stuff, but if you prefer dungeons remember to use the roulette! It gives half a level a day almost all the way to 50 I think

The idea was to MSQ until we outlevelled it, then dungeons until we caught up, repeat.

At least, that's what we figured on.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'm thinking when I play I might just start off with a dungeon regardless. MY FIANCEE isn't a huge fan of running all across hell's half acre not killing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

If you're at lvl 25 you're just starting to get into where dungeons are a regular part of the msq. It will get better but not a bad idea to just run some anyways because they're fun.

We were quite enjoying it when they first introduced dungeons and there were three story quests out of like 9 in a row that wanted us to run dungeons. I expected that to become the norm - go to a zone, run the dungeons there, receive entertainment. I was dismayed when that did not happen.

• Locked thread