Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Get a free trial of FFXIV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

It also helps that all the extreme content is basically single bosses with minimal trash designed to teach you a mechanic, so you can actually raid for an hour focusing on one boss and actually get poo poo done.

Also, re: the gating grind, the worst parts of it are everything you have to do in the open world, once you get past like 30 the dungeons start becoming more interesting, your job abilities start filling in some of the gaps in your rotation so you aren't spamming impulse drive or whatever your class's equivalent is, and it really shouldn't take you too long to get what you need to get for your main story quest. Max level players have access to several roulettes they can run every day for current content rewards, and generally they do so because it's the best way to get a lot of those currencies and level other classes. I don't play on excal, but I do know that if you play on excal during sane hours then there will probably be people who will help you with the actually difficult 4 man content like garuda normal (who is harder than garuda hard) and such and will probably answer any questions you may have about poo poo.

If you want to just make a beeline to max level then ignore every quest that isn't the one with the flame icon or your class quests (one every 5 levels) and do your leveling roulette every day once you unlock it at 16.

Also crafting is 100% ignorable and you can leave it entirely alone until you feel like loving with it. It's a giant mess of autism though, so beware that pit.

Tenzarin posted:

Enjoy trying to be the 1% that actually does the hardest content in a game that has 1% of the subs as wow!

I guess you haven't heard the news about how badly wow's sub numbers dumpstered. FFXIV probably doesn't have a million active subs, but it certainly has more than 50k.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 13, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

.wintermute posted:

The thing that drove me away from WoW was Cataclysm, when Blizzard finally turned what previously felt as an achievement into "get your free daily epics" pinata.

e: I actually look forward to play a game where I can feel that I have achieved something and wasn't just served ready on a plate.

Play dark souls if you want to achieve something, and if you think it's too hard then you're lying to yourself about what you want.

And you don't remember cataclysm at all if that was your takeaway opinion.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I tried to like FF14 but I kept literally falling asleep at my keyboard. Supposedly I didn't yet get to the "good part" (I made it to like level 15 or something) but that's my FF14 story

This is a 100% reasonable opinion and why I tell anyone who wants to try out FFXIV to get a trial because it's really not for everyone.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

.wintermute posted:

I don't recall any of them being exceptionally hard, but maybe that's just me. Heroics always were more of a several days of runs for me with a guild group to get all gear needed to start raiding, except "Glory of ... Hero" achievement.

I mostly disliked LFR introduction (somewhere in the middle of Cata) and welfare gear concept.

A) "welfare" gear allows people to gear up and altswap and also increases the pool of potential raiding candidates, so it's a good thing for everyone regardless of what sperglords think
B) this post reads like a greatest hits of reasons why cataclysm's increased difficulty was mitigated for you

also ask blizzard how making GBS threads all over their LFR playerbase worked out in WoD. (it didn't at all)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Lol LFR gear looks like wet dog poo poo and Mythic gear makes you look like big dick man. Is that why they lost so many subs?

LFR gear has different set bonuses that don't compare in the slightest with the real tier set bonuses. They did this because the hardcore raiders whined about having to do LFR, and then it turned out that they weren't that big of a portion of the playerbase and all the people who would just run lfr once a week left to go play something else because their toys were taken away.

This is on top of making normal harder and generally making GBS threads on the casual raiding audience. Not necessarily the LFR players, but the people who just wanted to get some buds together and kill internet dragons a few hours a week suddenly weren't good enough to raid through a combination of the lack of set bonuses from LFR, an increase in mechanical difficulty of bosses, and a huge step up in the length of boss fights.

Basically they listened to the people who thought like you wintermute and it turns out they don't make up enough of the audience for them to actually give a poo poo over.

edit: got confused over who said what, fixed

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 14, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Yoshi has said they probably won't release 3 jobs per expansion due to the workload. Also, I do think that those problems exist, but increasing the raid size would probably cause more problems than it solves, and if you're doing the content hardcore enough that your class comp makes a real difference you'll probably have several classes leveled up anyway, or be willing to do so.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Pandaria was pretty nice for casual players, it was just lovely in the beginning and got better later on. Wod was the exact opposite where it looked like it'd be really open for casual play and then it went the exact opposite direction.

To be fair, I don't think every decision they made was expressly to gently caress the middle 80% or whatever it is. The boss designs are pretty much just a continuation in the arms race against player skill and modding, but they should have recognized that was a problem and balanced not-mythic raiding around it. WoD was also the expansion where the grognard devs who had been working on Titan finally made their presence known, and it turns out they all have really bad ideas about why people play mmos. It's one of the reasons I don't have a whole lot of faith in Legion right now. It might look neat, but so did WoD.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Cataclysm was good. Magic pandaland was dumb.

WOW's problem going forward is that they have added so many layers to the game it is a literal black box now. "When a forest grows too wild a purging fire is inevitable and natural".

FF14 is giving away a free trial, the first act of a dying game.

are you a markov chain bot

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Shy posted:

This is where ff14 lacks compared to wow imo.

On the other hand everything isn't covered in violently green piss.

Visually you could argue either way, but in terms of music FFXIV is shockingly better than wow, and sound design is a super important factor for me.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

And it is very limited by still being on the ps3

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Byolante posted:

No you are totally right, telling a guy who wants to play a mmo now that its currently clunky and slow and poorly paced but that its not an issue because COME NEXT EXPANSION EVERYTHING WILL BE GREAT is very useful. The UI is still hot garbage for things like inventory management/ah/banking, there is still days of playtime being wasted on running all over the place for no good reason other than 2 years ago they needed some way to slow down progress.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2793113/

Its not like I have never played the game and have no idea

That's cool but you're putting a lot of words in a lot of other people's mouths to be angry over in this. We told him to try the game because it fit what he was looking for to a T. We didn't tell him he's Hitler if he doesn't like it too.

Also lol how much do you like punching yourself in the dick with all those crafters leveled, no wonder you hated the game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'll say it again, black desert is the first MMO I've been excited to be playing in a while. I'm sure the late game is going to disappoint me as it's mostly PVP based and lol mmo pvp.

Coming from Bland and Soulless to a fully fleshed out MMO was weird, I was expecting another Korean garbage festival where the game is ridiculously bad but goons spoon it up because of oily anime tits. But no, this game is deep, complex, and I'll eventually get to kill these people:

BDO is also the first korean mmo I haven't been able to play for more than 5 minutes, so YMMV.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Jackard posted:

1. The default UI is awful, but it can be managed by rearranging or hiding the stuff you don't need with the Edit UI button in the menu.

2. The classes use different combos and have a different feel to them. Did you try anything else?

I tried uninstalling, worked like a charm.

Saying "the default UI is awful" doesn't really do it any justice, btw.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Jackard posted:

The default UI is garbage for almost every MMO so I don't know what you were expecting. :jerkbag:

An in-game editor already puts it ahead of games that rely on third-party mods.

I've played a metric fuckton of lovely MMOs, including a few in languages I cannot read or don't speak like Moonlight Blade in chinese and PSO2 in japanese. I played Age of Wushu and got past that UI, even. BDO's is so much worse that I couldn't make it past 5 minutes.

Is that enough of a picture of what I was expecting versus what I got?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Jackard posted:

More likely your patience for this crap finally ran out

Incredibly possible, but on the other hand it's still really really bad and not something to brush to the side like a lot of BDO goons like to do when evangelizing.

Rhymenoserous posted:

It was annoying the poo poo out of me till I turned half of it off.

I turned all of it off :v:

But seriously, they'd go a long way in BDO by just starting out with a lot of it shut off and letting new players find new options instead of overwhelming them with everything at once.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

people have universally hated pop-up anything since the birth of the internet and game designers still think its a good feature. why

This is the straw that broke the camel's back for me in Wildstar. Challenge pop ups were the worst god drat things.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

revenance posted:

That's awesome. I haven't played since 2.4 so I didn't know about that :v: I love how the music fits the theme and overall tone of the boss so well. GKMM being yet another prime example.

What that doesn't show you is the previous floor of alexander where you fight the individual mechs before they become brute justice.

Also they did a really great job on themes in HW. I don't wanna post Thordan because it's a little spoilery but it's my favorite theme in the game now. They also added:

Ravana, a waltz with Mongolian throat singing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_3hRm7K8g

Bismarck, a super chill yet also video game as gently caress theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shMaev-dSFI

and Sephirot (be sure to at least get to phase 2 at 3:22) not actually featuring powerman 5000, but we coulda fooled you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25WOf5s-SU0

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

How annoying does the cash stuff get? I could use a dumb 'punch stuff and watch numbers while you listen to other things' game but I heard they really went hog wild on cash shop stuff lately?

If they're still doing it, there's a new server they called "Reboot" that makes it so you can buy cash shop stuff with mesos, some mobs drop cash shop poo poo iirc, and EXP, money, and item drop rates are much higher. The trade-off is you can't trade your drops with other players, so you need to find your own drops, makes it more single player and kinda diabloish.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

But then you risk financial/legal stability. If I'm gonna invest a thousand hours into something, I'd like it to be around 5 years from now.

The guys who play on private wow servers do it because vanilla/tbc/wrath wow was actually fun for them to play, so having to move every 6 months or whatever isn't a big deal.

Alternatively: if you're gonna invest a thousand hours into a game without having fun doing it or learning how to do something, why would you invest a thousand hours into it?

Joke alternatively, if you want it to be around in 5 years you shouldn't play wow in any form :v:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

I've seen people talking up the ability to participate in your friends' personal story events in GW2 as a selling point.

My small group (~5ish people) is trying to decide between WoW, GW2, and FFXIV.

The idea is to play everything together, completely blind -- no walkthroughs, no random pub group dragging us through dungeons. Sub-optimal builds? Poor equipment choices? That's fine -- we're not planning to push endgame content.

We've all played WoW before, but we all stopped before Cataclysm, so I think most everything will be new to us. Only one of us has played FFXIV, and none of us have touched GW2.

I'm personally leaning more toward WoW because of the sheer amount of content available, but would another game be better for this type of play?

So, one thing to note is that dungeons in ffxiv are 4 people, not 5. It's probably not a big deal, but it is something to consider, and if you have more than 4 people you'll need to run the content more than once because the main story quest requires dungeon runs. It wasn't a dealbreaker for me, and high level players are incentivized to do older content while downleveled so there's always groups for everything, but it could be for you and it's best to know about it up front. Also, you can't be a dark knight, astrologian, or machinist until you hit ishgard well after level 50, but they start at 30 so if someone is dead set on playing one of those three you're gonna all have to go back and level up to 50 from 30 with them.

The beginning it's a giant chore because the first 30 or so levels are designed around players who have never played any MMO before, so if you've all played wow you'll be bored out of your minds to start, but it does get more interesting, the story is neat and gets much much better in heavensward, and it's a pretty fun game, especially if you're a fan of FF.

I wouldn't bother with GW2 right now, they're in a kind of crisis because heart of thorns was a giant flop and the players are pretty pissed about it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Out of curiosity, what was it about the recent expansion that hosed everything up?

Looking from the outside in, there was a monumental misunderstanding about why people played GW2. The sort of poster child for it is them adding in raids, which was a thing nobody wanted in gw2. It's like the wildstar kool-aid seeped into the GW2 office's water supply.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I think it's interesting how many people like level scaling.

Why not:
1) Remove leveling
2) Remove vertical progression
and then replace 1+2 with
3) Horizontal skill and gear progression
4) Player skill progression
5) Cosmetics (gear, emotes, skill visual effects)

Because people don't like running in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Thunderbro posted:

you'll be happy after getting through the actual 364 quest gate to even touch expansion content and then the 100+ quests that come after that before you can raid or play with your friends outside of the awfully designed level sync system

spoilers: there are too many mandatory quests and they are all forgettable

ffxiv is p much made of what your wife hates

It was fun having the chocobo butt perfume argument in the ffxiv thread so long ago. Those guys get so unreasonably defensive about how lovely their game can be when it gets lovely.

• Locked thread