Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

FFXIV is good and not anime assuming you dont want to play a catgirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

You can make it to FFXIV's current endgame in less than two months of casual play, probably two or three weeks if you poopsock it.

I can confirm you can take a character from brand new to endgame raiding ready in 160-ish hours of poopsocking. Took me less than 2 weeks.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Actually people run the raids drat near constantly and you can find a group for almost any pre-expac content in less than 10 minutes. SE constantly uses it for newer stuff in the expansion so theres always people going back to collect poo poo that starts dropping in the old world, and aside from the 2.4-2.55 fetchquest filler (which is getting fixed in 4.0) almost all of the MSQ content is relevant and unlocks poo poo you're gonna be doing anyway later?

As someone who flat out loving *hated* having to do the 2.4-2.55 portion of the MSQ to get into HW in retrospec its not that bad because it took like a whole 15 hours of my time. They've acknowledged its poo poo and plan to fix it, and its not like you need to re-do it every time you want to level a new class.

The vast majority of level 50 content is not useless though and plenty of people still do it on the reg, unlike most MMOs where when a raid tier is over that poo poo gets dustbinned into history and very few new players will ever see it again.

Really I hate leveling in almost all MMOs but it was pretty good in FFXIV.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 9, 2016

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

You're under the assumption that video games themselves are not a waste of your life?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

4.0 Goodbye PS3

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Byolante posted:

I love that the answer to every problem with ARR is that if you buy the base game, the current expansion and the expansion that might be out next year it will be a good game.

I realize you're just a lovely posting gimmick but if you seriously believe the developers having a timeline for dropping old machine support and continual improvement projects for their MMO coming with pretty much every patch/expansion point is a bad thing then you should probably not play video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Arcland posted:

Thinking the next expansion will make the game instantaneously better is a staple for every themepark mmo. Lets be honest.

This is true but ignoring that aspect, at least in regards to FFXIV, for a moment the developers are using their expansion points as deadlines for removing things (like old console support) that hinder their ability to make changes to the game engine as a whole, not just promising that "THE NEXT CONTENTS GONNA BE GREAT GUYS YOU WAIT!"

I don't think anyone here so far has said that the game doesn't have flaws, or that some of them aren't tedious and/or bullshit, but we have pointed out that the developers have acknowledged a ton of those flaws and they do have a relative schedule for getting things turned around. In addition to that they've already made a ton of QoL improvements so there's no reason to assume they're not going to make good on their efforts to improve things people feel are sore points in an otherwise very good MMO.

• Locked thread