Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Another goon via Steam posted:

*link to this thread* Also, I dare you to try and cause a goon rush on Toontown.
Oooookay, so here goes absolutely nothing. I'm sure that some of you will have at least heard of Toontown Online, a MMO that Disney released in beta during 2001, officially released in 2003 and kept in operation for over ten years before finally closing up shop in September 2013.

I never played Toontown Online. What I have played, however, is Toontown Rewritten.

Wikipedia posted:

The most popular server, Toontown Rewritten, is described by its developers as "a fan-made revival of Disney's Toontown Online, created using publicly available downloads and information made freely available to the general public."
So a bunch of fans came together and recreated the MMO, gradually working on restoring features and functionality to the point where they have very nearly everything that was present on the official servers. (The main stragglers to be rounded up are pets and field offices.) And since this is done entirely out of pocket and without accepting donations of any kind, Disney seem quite content to just let it happen. :toot:

As of the writing of this post, there are... 2809 players online. That's pretty normal for this time of day.

Now for he main crux of this post: trying to get goons to try what looks like a very family friendly MMO. Aside from appealing to nostalgia for those who did actually play the original (and therefore do not need to be sold on its merits), let me give you a quick run-down.

-You play as a toon. Choose species, gender, clothing and accessories, a wacky name and get to playing. You can type in your own name (to be approved or denied by staff), or generate one from lists of parts. "Cool Fireball Electromarble" and "Prof. Robozilla" are two good examples I've seen lately.
-There are sinister robots called Cogs threatening Toontown, making fighting back against them the main goal. They are all corporate types, coming in Sellbot, Cashbot, Lawbot and Bossbot flavours. There are nine or ten different cogs of each type.
-Aside from a selection of side activities (including fishing, racing, golf and a bunch of short minigames), the main part of gameplay is round-based combat. Toons get to act, Cogs get to act, the usual. Combat is up to four a side, and players can just step in to help as needed.
-Your weapons for combating the humourless Cog menace? Gags, of course! Throw pies, squirt alka seltzer, drop safes on their heads and lure cogs onto trapdoors!
-Complete tasks for Toon HQ, venture into dangerous Cog buildings and face off against hordes of fearsome foes. Overcome the greatest of challenges by teaming up with other toons!

Pros:
-Simple to understand mechanics.
-Something that can be picked up and played for a few minutes.
-Bright, colourful and cartoony.
-Despite being 'family friendly', Toontown is surprisingly willing to kick your rear end. Larger Cog buildings can and will kick the collective butts of unprepared toon teams.

Cons:
-Kinda grindy, both for earning new gags and completing tasks. But as MMO players, you should be used to that.
-In-game chat messages are a bit on the short side, and are of course filtered.
-Each round of combat gives 15 seconds for everyone to decide on and enter their gag selections. Better hope no-one goes AFK.

If you feel like trying something simple and quick to download (It's taking up 385MB on my computer), you could do a lot worse. Come be a goon toon with us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Vargs posted:

what percentage of these players are currently engaged in furry ERPing

Yapping Eevee posted:

-In-game chat messages are a bit on the short side, and are of course filtered.
Reading comprehension, folks. :eng101:

But yeah, there's not been a single trace of that I've seen in all my time playing. Amazing for an MMO, I know.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
You underestimate quite how aggressive the chat filter happens to be. :v: Excessively so, even.

Also that's a remarkably cynical way to look at things.

• Locked thread