Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Hey Chickenwing I'm maybe too late but FFXIV is real good and it's anime but the English script is mostly excellent, the music is consistently good, and there's so much to do that you and YOUR FIANCÉE will not burn through the content for a good long while. It has a free trial so it's also no risk to try it out.

Other comments: the GCD is slower than WoW but there are lots of off-GCD abilities to keep the rotation interesting. Most classes have a good mix of abilities and rotations are complicated without being stupid. All of tanking, healing and dps have engaging gameplay, and if you like a support-ish dps then bars and machanist do party buffs.

There are at least three different goon guilds on Excalibur, which is the busiest ustz server, and they're pretty consistently full of people willing to help out as you learn. If you're more into RP, most RP focused players congregate on Balmung although you've then got to often run around with general chat hidden as people like to ERP in open chat there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Yeah for better or worse the msq is pretty muh perfectly paced now so that you only need to run dungeons once on your way through until the mid 40s at which time you can do FATEs or spam dungeons to get to around high 40s. Also save side quests unless they unlock things as they're legit good to level alt classes. Most of this is in the XIV thread OP so I won't repeat much here. I kind of burned out on it but played for a solid 2 years. Might go back at some point but so many other things to play including XV in the fall :D

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

I'm thinking when I play I might just start off with a dungeon regardless. MY FIANCEE isn't a huge fan of running all across hell's half acre not killing things.

If you're at lvl 25 you're just starting to get into where dungeons are a regular part of the msq. It will get better but not a bad idea to just run some anyways because they're fun.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Alternatively, soak up the ambiance and solid translation and don't sweat it too much, and if you feel like a dungeon to spice it up then run a roulette. Chickenwing try to get in the habit of running daily roulettes. They're not great for loot now but they will get you half a level of xp.

Also the people sour on dungeons are mostly bitter era who have been been bashing away at the same content for years while griping mightily about how terrible it is but hey I'll do another

• Locked thread