Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing MMOS is work no matter how you put it, so it isn't unreasonable to be nervous about everything suddenly being deleted one day. It is fun work that you can do with your buds but it is still work regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morglon posted:

What do you mean after? World of Warcraft was just as big a piece of poo poo as the others on launch, it just stuck around because it was "the first" and people were invested. Many of the other games got better too and people still play them.

The key word there is "at launch", though. You had all these "WoW-killers" that came out that were garbage and looked awful because they didn't have a few years to work out the kinks that WoW did. It's only games that stepped away from that exact formula that really thrived, like EVE and the like.

Personally I resubbed to WoW recently and playing through it I can definitely see the wear and tear, but I think a large part of the issue people has is just that they're playing DPS. It sounds silly to say it but switching from DPS to tank (and sometimes heals) makes a huge difference for enjoying the dungeons, since you are actually playing the game rather than just assist targeting the tank.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think a ton of people do that, just because there is always something else with an established friend base and content to go back to. I know I have played far, far more MMOS that I care to admit (basically every moderate-large scale one for the past ten years) and I still go back to the same old poo poo time after time.

I am not sure if everyone is the same but I feel like I am trying to find That Game, that perfect MMO that will fit the preconceived notions of game play and content and vastness I have in my head but nothing just has made that bar yet. I wish I had played SWG when it was avalible, that sounds like so much my poo poo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I also think it's interesting and telling that the two most fan-beloved MMOs (City of Heroes and pre-CU SWG) are the ones that failed the hardest. If WoW suddenly shut down I don't think people would react as emotionally

Anything niche like that is going to have a rabid fanbase, just not a very large one. SWG was crazy detailed and a real grognard mmo so it died, Wow is casual play supreme so it survives to this day.

And people are super nostalgic for WoW, why do you think there's all this stuff going around about the Vanilla servers?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 30, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Right? I actually still play it, only 3 - 5 players are ever on. I'm sure it'll shut down soon.

Wasn't there some sort of issue with the development? I remember looking at it a while back and I thought they had hit a pretty big roadblock.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

My understanding is that they were annoyed that the Star Wars prequels were coming to theaters and there were still no Jedi in SWG, and that making there be Jedi killed the game.

Jedi were in the game, but it was somewhat random and not every character could be one. When they "updated" it they made it so that everyone could be a Jedi no matter what and it completely invalidated the point of the entire system.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jackard posted:

E: Also I can't remember any worthwhile Elf zones or scenarios. What a garbage race.

So like every MMO

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

K posted:

So where does someone who values a robust crafting/gathering system and economy go? FFXIV has a great crafting system but dungeon drops are comparably better than anything you can craft, and so there isn't a ton of inherent demand. Maybe this changes later in the game but everything I read points to a crafting system that's really only enjoyable in and of itself and doesn't necessarily drive the game more broadly. For my purposes, this is the only thing that's keeping FFXIV from being my ideal game right now.

EVE online. Otherwise crafting is always going to be a fringe benefit to whatever you pick up off the ground

E. TESO supposedly has end-game useable crafted gear as well

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Secret World had an interesting crafting system but imo it was let down by needing such a massive amount of materials to make anything. Making the diagrams of these high end materials was killer

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Some people hoard newspapers. Some people hoard MMO characters.

It always amazes me when I listen in on whatever random pub guild I am in and hear people talking about leveling their 12th character to 100 in WoW. There aren't even that many classes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Guild wars 2 did really have the strangest quest system I have ever seen. I get that most people don't read the quest text, but showing up in a new area to have a bunch of tasks assigned to you, then having the reward mailed to you had such a bizarre disconnection from the world compared to the traditional quest giver method

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Out of curiosity, what was it about the recent expansion that hosed everything up?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Brave New World posted:

I'm definitely going to play TOR at some point cause I hear the story is great and I'm a huge fan of both Star Wars and old school BioWare, but is it really true that the game is pathetically easy? Is it really as faceroll as I've been hearing?

Leveling in MMOS is supposed to be a cakewalk, SWTOR is not a difference

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I think it's interesting how many people like level scaling.

Why not:
1) Remove leveling
2) Remove vertical progression
and then replace 1+2 with
3) Horizontal skill and gear progression
4) Player skill progression
5) Cosmetics (gear, emotes, skill visual effects)

Because horizontal gear/skill leveling is the same as character progression leveling except it is far harder to tell if you can take that bear or not.

Plus the brutal truth is that there is only so much "skill" you can put into most MMOS, after which it is just a gear check

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Chat filter? There is no barrier in heaven or earth that can stop the force that is the impotent boner.

Lol at everyone wishing they could go back to quest givers in Guild War 2. Ya'll suck. The hearts are the same as quests dummies.

There just isn't much sense to it. "Why am I killing boars? Oh, because this guy needs them for stew" versus "Why am I killing boars? Because my HUD updated when I walked in this zone to tell me to do it to fill some bars so I can get gold, the task is literally meaningless to me"

Functionally it is the same, you kill boars, but at least you have some sort of reason with the quest givers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Whether you like TOR really depends on what you liked out of Skyrim. If you like the main quests and doing the scattered normal side quests then it is probably very much your deal. I didn't really get into it because I like Elder Scroll games for being able to break into the house of someone I don't like, stealing all their stuff while they sleep, and then killing them just because gently caress you. Or making truly game breaking spells. Or whatever. TOR is just too restrictive for those kinds of crazy things just because they need it to be played by -everyone-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

khy posted:

What is currently the best F2P MMORPG on the market? Best as defined by 'largest player base'.

If you mean totally free then probably SWTOR. If you can expand to "no monthly fees" then probably Guild Wars 2

• Locked thread