Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

suuma posted:

WoW peaked in WoTLK when they still had pre-established lore from the RTS series to go on but Mists of Pandaria was actually really, really good. Everything about Cata and the year of Dragon Soul was pretty poo poo tbh.

I really enjoyed Cata before Firelands. The raids were super fun.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

My issues with Heavensward was that it either has some bad design or it's limited by being on consoles. The two biggest being the awful GCD. Way to long inbetween attacks. And the loading screens inbetween zones.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Thinking the next expansion will make the game instantaneously better is a staple for every themepark mmo. Lets be honest.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This is the straw that broke the camel's back for me in Wildstar. Challenge pop ups were the worst god drat things.

Wildstar and WAR Online were the games I really wanted to like. WAR Online really just needed more development time. Wildstar, I think even if they had enough time to iron out the bugs, pvp issues, finish the raids, etc, that the art style and humor would still be to annoying for me.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

AAA MMOs are dead until further notice. It's all crowdfunding now, but that comes with the benefit of appealing to niche markets and sticking to them.

Might end up going pretty well. With enough attempts you might get one with decent bones that ends up being decent. Sucks for the people (like me admittingly) that likes to put money into every crowdfund mmo.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

EVE online. Otherwise crafting is always going to be a fringe benefit to whatever you pick up off the ground

E. TESO supposedly has end-game useable crafted gear as well

EVE Online crafting is a bit wierd in that it really lacks any sort of complexity in the actual singular creation. But that it relies on both creating a ton of items and that they are easily replaced.

Degs posted:

Oh, totally agree. I gotta admit the second part applies to me, though. I always go balls deep on a new game and then bail in a month. Always looking for that "I could play this forever" but never finding it.

Convinced it'll never happen, but can't stop myself from hoping.

I'm really awful about that. The only two mmos that have stuck are wow and Eve. Warhammer Online would have also stuck if it was still around as well.

Edit: Also to OP I suggest no mmo but to instead be bitter about the landscape of mmos like everyone else.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 3, 2016

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Unguided posted:

I still remember the horrible grind through old WoW to get to Lich King. Never again.

I think a legacy server I could do it due to the character lasting. But I don't think I can do it in a private server due to the character dissapearing after the private server shutting down at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Thunderbro posted:

Squeenix has never released accurate numbers beyond "we have 5 million accounts guys! 5 million whole accounts!". They fudge PR and news a lot to make the game seem much more popular than it is, and considering their level sync stuff pulls in all players their queue times are still really bad. I'd be surprised if it had much over 1 million subs.

That's just because they're accurate criticisms, down to an exactly specific number. Calling someone obsessive or an rear end in a top hat is really the only retort left.

I'd be surprised if they had 1 million subscribers. That's actually a huge number. It's only because of wow that we consider that a low number.

• Locked thread