Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Degs
Mar 2, 2014

The only MMO I can tolerate now is ESO.

By tolerate I mean I played the first zone six months ago and didn't hate myself, but stopped playing anyways. The idea of loading it back up doesn't fill me with regret.

I feel the need to play one but haven't enjoyed a single one past the leveling, most of them not even during that. Last one I truly enjoyed was release Rift.

I have to give some props to FF14, though. Great art direction (those giant stone guys in the starter zones in particular), a not-entirely-horrible class system and amazing music for their pretty decent boss fights. Green bitch hard mode or xtreme mode or whatever name they gave her was fun for a whole week!

Degs fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Wow that Brute Justice song is fantastic. I can no longer remember why I stopped playing, tbh...

Ah dammit.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

not actually featuring powerman 5000, but we coulda fooled you

Hahahahaha what the poo poo I was so on board until the singing

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Everything Zzulu said.

Tack on the fact that there was already a huge MMO that already worked through all those issues and you gotta question why you'd pay a sub for a game that is just worse than another game that already exists that you already somewhat enjoy.

If WoW came out now in the state it was in when it released, it would fail. Most of these games came out flat out worse that release-state WoW.

The ones that came out with a great launch still couldn't compete with a game with years of content.

Zzulu posted:

the "feel" of the game was severely off (animations, graphics, feedback)

This one in particular killed sooo many games for competitive play, and without competitive play theres no highly visible community.

There were a lot of bugs and issues in SWTOR that everyone could have ignored if the game didn't have input/animation delay. Can't interrupt heals cause of animation lock? Yeah that's the end of that game.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A rational person consumes the media and moves on, instead of trying to convince yourself that you need to find a media that you can consume forever

I mean...exactly? The media was consumed. How long did it take to clear all available content in any game since 2011?

ou basically pointed out the lovely aspect of the genre. Mediocre gameplay tied to a long term hook. None of these games had long term hooks, though.

WoW didn't really have one either, it was just really good at convincing people it did.

And yes, Rift was the poo poo.

Edit: I should also point out I really enjoyed SWTOR, but what I mean by "it ended" was all sponsorship involved in high-tier gameplay dissolved in the first two months. Getting out-of-game exposure through big gaming groups/teams etc would have been huuuuuge for the games short term success, potentially long term. I love/am surprised that bioware has kept putting out quality updates for it, but I personally have never seen a game generate more interest than launch and can't find anything saying that's the case now, either.

Degs fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 30, 2016

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

We are in agreement I think. My point was more directed towards the type of person that picks WoW because in 10 years your character will still be there. People skip newer MMOs out of the fear that at some point several years in the future, the game might shut down. I just think it's a very weird way to form an opinion about something.

Like I think it's totally okay to buy an MMO and just play the free month and be done with it. That seems completely reasonable to me. However I've noticed that when people are picking an MMO they are really trying to find a game that they can play literally forever

Oh, totally agree. I gotta admit the second part applies to me, though. I always go balls deep on a new game and then bail in a month. Always looking for that "I could play this forever" but never finding it.

Convinced it'll never happen, but can't stop myself from hoping.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

and I missed out on both :argh:

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Second Life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

How about you just shoot your own balls off instead?

Degs posted:

Second Life?

JINX you owe me a coke

• Locked thread