Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

I've seen people talking up the ability to participate in your friends' personal story events in GW2 as a selling point.

My small group (~5ish people) is trying to decide between WoW, GW2, and FFXIV.

The idea is to play everything together, completely blind -- no walkthroughs, no random pub group dragging us through dungeons. Sub-optimal builds? Poor equipment choices? That's fine -- we're not planning to push endgame content.

We've all played WoW before, but we all stopped before Cataclysm, so I think most everything will be new to us. Only one of us has played FFXIV, and none of us have touched GW2.

I'm personally leaning more toward WoW because of the sheer amount of content available, but would another game be better for this type of play?

I cant speak for the two other MMOs but yes Guild Wars is in a crisis right now because they screwed up the latest update. However that does not mean that it is influencing the new player experience in any way which is great. There is a shitload of stuff to do before you reach the endgame and thus get to the problems that are based in HoT. There is a decent amount of dungeons to choose from, fractals, the world is gigantic and they are slowly introducing raids as well.
That being said you will spend a most of your time exploring different maps. Yes exploring. There is a lot of stuff hidden around the world if you're into that and while the story and the universe surely is not as big as WoW it isnt small or bad either. Its free to play. Just give it a shot either you like it or you dont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

If they ever fixed fractals id probably go back.

When was the last time you checked? They changed a couple of things in regards to fractals but I dont know what you're looking for. Technically you're still running the same fractals but on the higher difficulties (75+) they can actually get challenging and even if they are boring as gently caress the rewards were polished as well and are somewhat worth it now. There's even a legendary fractal backpiece now which does not look like total garbage.
If you're looking for a higher difficulty you could check out raids they arent too bad either.

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

I quit when that stupid woman was the main boss that kept coming back. Just after her nightmare forest story line. (so a while). As for fractals, can you get a pug group as any class again?

Most dungeons sucked. Unless you had a group of friends your group would whinge and whine if a 2 hour dungeon took longer than 11 minutes.

I dont know. I never had trouble finding a group but I tend to play as Guardian, Rev or Warrior. I believe unless you're playing some serious off meta build you wont have trouble finding a group below 75. I cant speak for 75+ tho but I imagine it being a bit more hardcore but you would have to check for yourself. At least the times of "5k ap, asc gear link only zerker plis" are over. Nobody gives a crap about that anymore.
And yea, dungeons still stuck. They havent changed much except for the fact that the rewards are really useless now. They are still fun to do once in a while with the right group but I avoid doing them on a daily basis.

I dont log in every day but a every once in a while, usually like 3 or 4 times a week. I do some fractals, do the two, soon to be three, raids, some stuff for the new legendary collections and log out again. There isnt that much to do but the amount of content that is left isnt too bad either. Its a nice MMO to play if you're bored but I cant imagine anyone playing as hardcore as WoW for example.

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

Thunderbro posted:

it was a miserable experience because you are forced to run lazy copy paste quests with design from 8 years ago. it's not because they exist or because of endgame.

Now Im curious: if its that bad, how does the game keep its playbase somewhat active? Surely there have to some raids or something

• Locked thread